That's Not The Way It Feels

Fool's Gold

Bella packed her belongings in two large suitcases. She hardly accumulated much. She's been on two private jet planes in her life. The first one brought her from Paris to Seoul flanked between her parents. The second one when Kahi flew her under the radar from the Kim family months ago.  

She saw Woobin standing by the Porsche 911 he drove to her quaint apartment she shared with Stephanie. Fortunately for her she was able to negotiate her friend to accompany her to Seoul, and live in one of the guest homes in the grounds of the Empire Inc estate. Stephanie's parents needed a little push, however Bella explained the bookstore gifted by her fiance and backed by Woobin's prestigous company, needed their daughter's help. They happily obliged the move to the big city. Taking one deep breath she carried her Longchamp nylon bag and the soft cat carrier towards her fiance

"I can't believe Woobin agreed to me working for you and living in the estate." Stephanie's enthusiasm actually made Bella feel a little giddy returning to see Jongsuk, Se Ah and Soo Roo. Regardless of the straining situation of being engaged to their eldest son, she enjoyed having people who cared for her around. "Ah, . Your husband is so good looking," Bella heard Stephanie say under her breath. She saw the smirk displayed on Woobin's face, probably knowing already it would be easy to win the native New Yorker over to his side. Bella elbowed her friend to remind her of who was at hearing distance. Woobin signaled them to enter the plane, allowing Kahi to enter before him. Bella already knew an awkward situation between her and Kahi was soon to develop the moment they stepped into the main cabin. The important thing was to not make eye contact during the quick flight.

Kahi crossed her legs and arms as she sat across from Woobin. She still could not understand the man's interest in keeping the foreigner in his life. She could easily spread gossip to the media, making Bella the wrong woman for him, but she did not want to cause more commotion in the Kim family. She had a fool proof plan to kick the girl out, it wasn't enough after all the planning she made. Kahi didn't see it coming. She believed Woobin had zero interest in her, zero feelings. He rarely went out of his way to show his feelings anyway, yet, here he was going out of his way to bring Bella back into Empire. She was silent for the rest of the trip, planning in her head how to permanently find a way to remove the blue eyed woman from Woobin's life. She kept a forced smile around her, for the sake of Woobin really. She wanted to keep in his good graces, especially since his mother hadn't said a word yet to her about her role in getting Bella out of Seoul and out of the Kim household, much against their efforts in keeping her there. Woobin looked at Kahi knowing she wasn't enjoying the new situation. Did he feel some sympathy towards the girl who stood by his side despite his cold heartedness? Sure. They had history, though it was never romantic. He knew if many more months had past his heart would give up on Isabella, possibly opening it up to the likes of Kahi. However, he's never been one to plan his personal life out because he rarely cared, his eyes were set on Empire Inc. Boy did priorities shift upon Bella's leave...

He took a sip of his ice water, not necessarily wanting to start a conversation with the woman sitting across from him. During breakfast and lunch she managed to keep their conversations light with him, and he appreciated that from her. Bella appeared in the cabin carrying two bags, he had the urge to get up and help her, but he hesitated, playing it off to indifference. The flight attendants helped her anyway. He gave a nod to her friend, and noticed Bella did not make eye contact with him when she sat on the seat across from him. He crossed his legs towards the aisle, adjusting his body at a slight angle so she was in his peripheral vision. Her hair was in a messy up do. A pony tail. Even with a haphazard look she was adorable in his eyes. Something he would never admit to anyone. He rarely could admit it to himself.

He removed his jacket and stood up to hang it on the hook behind her. He wanted to be near her, but he didn't want it to be obvious he wanted to be near either. Placing the jacket behind her seat was close enough, it was only a few seconds, but it was something. He hoped his scent lingered around her so she would think of him. He replayed her words, or at least attempted to visualize over and over again the conversation they had in her apartment. Her confession, her feelings were finally exposed to him and how did the man answer? By demanding she finish the contract...

Woobin knew he was being slightly idiotic. He had Empire Inc's publicist go crazy trying to explain to the media the reasons for the foreigner's return to his side. They spun it well, and he was slightly proud of himself for leading the charge to put Bella back into a positive light. The impromptu meeting she attended with the French affiliates of Empire Inc supported his decision to continue the engagement. Bella's origins were revealed. Her parents, her adoption, the ties with Jeguk (Empire Inc) and the Kim's were all revealed to the media. Woobin and Bella were destined to be together. At least that was how they spun it. It brought support from the traditionalists in the company who believed in arranged marriages between close households. News spread of how Bella and Woobin were truly engaged, arranged by their parents prior to Mr. and Mrs. Park's passing. However the two were unsure if an arranged marriage was something they could move towards due to their circumstances. Hence, Isabella running away. Woobin only played along with the story of her using him and the Kim family because the media continued to accept the situation. As months passed, the two found each other again, and fate gave them another chance. The media ate it up, and the transition back into the Empire was smooth as silk for Isabella. 

Bella coughed and sniffled under her blanket on the way back to Seoul. It was a short trip, but it felt like forever. Her ears were popping, she had a raging headache, and her nose wouldn't stop running. She was feeling feverish by the time they landed. Curled up in the back bedroom of the private plane, she felt a cool hand on her forehead and heard a demanding voice which startled her. "Woobin?" An ice pack was placed on her forehead and she was cradled in his arms to sit next to him in the main cabin. He buckled her up to prepare for landing and kept the ice pack on her forehead. Kahi had her seat upright and glared at her. She could hear Stephanie's voice, perfect English came out of as she spoke with the equally fluent flight attendant. They were greeted just outside of an airplane hanger by Lawyer Jihyuk and a big smile on his face. Isabella bowed politely then hugged the taller male. She was dragged by Woobin to enter the car. Kahi drove off with her driver, and Stephanie rode in the other car with Jihyuk. The car seatbelt was over Bella's waist as she leaned back. She was in Seoul. She turned her head to look at Woobin staring back at her. Her eyes widened and his face softened, almost as if he cared for her. However she knew, even at a feverish state, caring was not part of his character unless it was for his immediate family.

It was an awkward glance and she hoped to stop herself from staring at the handsome male. His hand came to her forehead again. Thank goodness, because her head wouldn't turn to look away from the handsome sight. "I think your fever is down." She peeked over to him, blinking her eyes. Her long lashes brushed below her eyelids, and Woobin pointed at her chest. Bella placed her arms over it. "I had to your shirt because you were sweating so much, I can see your bra, or, well...you decided to travel without one?" Bella gasped looking down at her ed shirt, cleavage obviously was flashed and her cheeks turned red instantly. "How could you forget to wear a bra when you're traveling?" He . "What size are you, I should know these things since I am your soon to be husband." Bella still couldn't understand his game plan. Why was he being friendly, yet not? Why was he being polite, yet the same rude person she left months ago? And why the hell was he still so irresistible in her eyes. Woobin brushed his fingers along her rosy cheeks. "You blushing, my queen?" Pet names. Oh my gosh. What the hell?

She had zero energy to respond to his teasing so she gave him a scoffing look. "Why are we doing this, Woobin?" She finally asked. Was she really going to be by his side for five years as the contract stated? Did he really expect her to follow the contract and finish it willingly? "Are we going to have a somewhat happy ending to this, to us?" She saw him smile as he looked down at his phone. It was a softer smile that matched the soft look he gave her earlier. It was the same look he gave her in the plane when he cared for her fever, she thought it was anyway.

"Is that what you want, a happy ending?" He asked, in a playful manner. "I can give you a happy ending, Isabella, that is, if you are willing to go beyond the contract?" She was confused with his words, his questions. She didn't know if Woobin was playing his part or if his current words and actions were sincere. Bella hadn't actually thought of what constituted a happy ending for them. Would it be with them parting ways, amicably? Could she actually go five years with the man and supress her feelings for him? She couldn't last five weeks with him, she fell for him anyway. But is it love if it isn't reciprocated? He knew she liked him, she confessed, yet he was still indifferent about it. Which meant her love would always be one-sided.

Woobin appearing in her doorstep months after the scandal was scary yet thrilling. She would never in her wildest dreams predicted him appearing spontaneously the way he did. His unpredictable nature made her both anxious and slightly excited. The love she has for him had been painful, confusing, yet suprising and unexpected. Is Woobin reciprocating his feelings towads her in his own way? It doesn't seem fake because the tension between them makes it seem like it could be, it doesn't seem contrived. Not at all like they were playing the role. "Are you thinking too hard, Isabella?" He chuckled before leaning towards her. "Why are your cheeks pink? I don't think it's because of your fever." He put on another drop dead gorgeous sly smile resulting in a soft sigh from her. Not wanting to fully admit the feelings he has for his finacee, Woobin laughed at his own inquiries. "When we get back to Seoul, mother wants a family dinner. Afterwards we will rest. Tomorrow morning we will discuss the matters of planning the wedding. I assume you'd like a part in it. Pick out the theme, the colors, the flowers, the cake and food. I trust you and my mother, and your New York friend, can decide on it. The following day we meet with your staff at the bookstore. The coffee shop has been doing well, and the bookstore accompanying it seems to be popular among the high school and university kids." He took her hand and laced his fingers with hers. "We will play our role well. Empire Inc is important to me, you are important to my parents..." His pride woulnd't allow him to admit his feelings towards her, keeping the woman confused was the best defense for a man who's never loved before. "Am I acting, playing a part, you asked earlier. What do you think? I knew back then, before you left, the love we pretended to showcase was going to take me towards my goal. Is that selfish of me?" He looked at Isabella who's eyes were wide due to shock. His hands were cool to her warm ones. Perhaps because he was cold-blooded, due to the lack of emotions he felt, Bella thought in her head. Bella shrugged her shoulders. She knew he loved hearing himself talk because it put him in a place to control of the situation. "Let's just say I could win an award after all of this. The prize? Beating Chang Wook. Earning the coveted spot as president of MY father's company. You will help me get it. Understood?"

The entire dialogue was a sea of expectations. She still could not read him. There were moments in his monologue when he hinted at admitting similar feelings towards her, which made Bella think the entire contract, the relationship, is not fake. Certainly in the car, at the very moment holding hands with him, that's not the way it feels. Instead it feels real...and confusing. But Bella knew. A man like Kim Woo Bin was selfish, passionate, and driven towards reaching his personal expectations.

Perhaps the only question she should be asking herself is, how crazy must she be to have a one-sided love for Seoul's only living heart donor?