Boat on the Water

Fool's Gold

Woobin's eyes displayed disgust towards Bella, startled because she dared to slap him across the face. Once he let go she took several steps back, getting ready to run for it.  She froze at her spot as she heard steps approaching them. "Issues so early in the engagement? Ah. I didn't think you would be one to settle down, especially at how much I know you dislike sharing." The man continued to speak. He was almost as tall as Woobin, but as they stood face to face there was an obvious height difference. His shoulders were just as wide, maybe even wider. His voice wasn't as deep, it didn't resonate through her bones like the heir's did. He had a kinder face, and softer tone of voice. And he smiled, a lovely smile. "This has nothing to do with the board's decision to nominate me as the president of Jeguk Inc, does it?" Woobin was told how much the majority of the board members liked Chang Wook's personal skills over Woobin's brash ones. Investors tend to choose a company with a president who's grounded and with family then one unable to commit.

It was a split decision rarely made by someone with the type A personality Woobin had. Calculated and analyzed decisions were his style. But the sight of seeing his cousin, biting at the bit for a place at the top of the corporate hierarchy of his Empire, caused Woobin to do something risky and last second. No time to think through, he went with his instinct, pulling the brunette close to him in a half embrace and a scowl on his face. "Private affairs. Cousin. I would rather not discuss it with the likes of you."
...

Bella sat in the car after Woobin dismissed the kind yet pushy cousin away. She clutched her bag close to her and her left leg couldn't stop shaking due to nervousness. Woobin stopped the car suddenly, causing her to jerk forward, the seatbelt stopping her from hitting the dash. Her neck ached from the slight whiplash. She couldn't raise her voice. She knew he was angry about the rumor she spread. She didn't realize it could have caused him a bad image towards his company. Bella couldn't apologize enough. The pain on her neck began to hurt more as they drove silently to the Kim's estate. Security guards greeted the fancy Italian automobile. She gawked at the size of the estate he lived in, Bella truly believed he was the heir of an empire. Before stepping out of the car, thoughts of Korean dramas came into her mind. When the lowly female lead entered the male lead's house, she would be scolded and belittled by his father or mother, to the point of feeling miserable and pitiful. Then they'd give her a plane ticket to a remote island or the United States of America...to stay clear of his only son, their heir apparent.

Woobin didn't bother opening the car door for her, with the man's long strides he made his way up the stoned steps and through the threshold within seconds. The butler opened the door for her and she stepped out. She could run. But the security guards would most likely stop her, and she wasn't an expert at climbing over stoned walls. With her head on a swivel she looked here and there at the vast luxuries inside the home. Woobin appeared in the main hallway and gestured her to follow suit. "Are you slow or something?" A low jab to the gut no doubt. Bella mumbled under her breath, "No but thanks to you I have whiplash, ." The butler and the few maids standing near her heard the girl's remark. Bella didn't bother to apologize. Woobin appeared again, stepping out of what looked like an office, and his gesture to hurry up became more angry. He looked like he was about to blow a fuse, and considering Bella's pain from his terrible driving, she hoped to make him a little more annoyed as pay back and took her time. Bella stepped inside the huge library. Walls and walls of books with not one, but two, rolling steps to reach the top shelves. Her eyes glinted at the sight of beautifully bound books. Her eyes then fell to the people inside. Jongsuk, she recognized. The headmaster, she recognized too. She gave a quick bow to them. She knew that it must have been serious mistake she made if the headmaster was present. Oh, she's his mother. Another older gentleman stood between them with a big smile, and off to the side a couple of men, one whom she recognized as the lawyer who appeared at her father's funeral. Her face grew delighted. She recognized the man and since he was the only one she had pleasant contacts with she approached him and smiled. "Are you here to save me?" She chuckled again dryly and was met with a scoff from, of course, Woobin.

Bella turned to face his parents and bowed a ninety degree bow. "I am sorry. I shouldn't have started the rumor. I will accept all the consequences that follow because of my actions." She kept her face parallel to the ground, until a hand was placed on her shoulder. Woobin's father stood before her. "Are you going to force me on a flight to America?" She watched way too many dramas.

A hearty laugh filled the room. Jongsuk joined in and so did the lawyer. The headmaster smiled and Woobin was still brooding. "The last time I saw you," Suro said. "Was when you were eight years old." Bella looked confused. "Why didn't you message me when you arrived home?" Bella looked more confused. Then it sank in seconds later.

"You are my benefactor?" Suro nodded at her question. The coincidences were odd, but if it got her out of trouble she'd take it. "I have so much to ask you. You knew my parents?" A tear rolled down her face. She tried hard not to cry, but whenever she spoke of or thought of her parents it was an immediate reaction. Jongsuk handed her Woobin's handkerchief straight from his jacket to wipe her face. Bella blew her nose in it. "Thank you for taking care of me for the past five weeks. But why hadn't I seen you until now?" She caught a glimpse of Woobin who, again, looked annoyed. He most likely was expecting a proper scolding not a tearful reunion. He interuppted their conversation. 

"Abeoji? She was the girl who started the rumor about me. Now Chang Wook believes she and I are together, do you think the other members of the board believe it too?" Suro realized there were other things to take care of, his son's reputation was on the line because of Bella's rumor. She felt like a boat on the water, the waves taking her back and forth, unable to stay afloat. She was filled with emotions. Not only from the thoughts of her parents, and meeting her benefactor, but also about what was to come with the rumor she started. "She must learn her place."

Woobin was met with a smack on the back of his head by the headmaster, his mom. "There will be no such thing of 'teaching her her place.' My son, learn to be more sensitive in this situation."

Jongsuk laughed as he sat on his father's large chair and enjoyed the drama unfolding. How his brother was going to get out of the mess could be a fun adventure for the Kim family. And for once, it wasn't his antics that they had to deal with. "Let's eat. Isabella must be hungry. It's really late already." During dinner Bella felt the daggers being thrown at her from Woobin's glares. After dinner she truly felt armor was needed. The man nearly flipped out with the barrage of inquiries from board members and several parnters of Jeguk Incorporated questioned the truth of the rumor. Suro's lawyer/assistant Jihyuk suggested a proposal. Because the board seemed to welcome the new revelation of the heir's sudden engagement, they could use the opportunity to his advantage. To gain the trust and bond between Woobin and the partners and board members, and build his reputation towards a positive one after a couple years of bad vibes between them. Which left for negotiations between Bella and Woobin. She was confused again. Was she to become a pawn to help build the heir of Jeguk and in turn she would gain what? Prestige, attention, an unlimited bank account, a husband... This was too much.

"Let me get this straight. You want me to marry your son in order for him to gain better status among your company? And in turn, I gain what?"

Woobin, again with his harsh tone of voice, answered. "You gain an attractive husband, you gain respect from the people around you, acceptance, prestige, and everything that comes with being married to an heir of a Fortune 500 company. All the bells and whistles and Christian Louboutins and a Versace and Chanel wardrobe to fill a walk-in closet bigger than your apartment."

"So, money? You want me to have an arranged marriage with you for money? If people find out, do you know the kind of reputation I'll have? And you know, I am not one who cares about repuatation." She said it before she realized how untrue it was. And Woobin's snort, meant he caught it too. "Okay, fine, I was worried about my reputation then. I only did it to make her back off me. I didn't think she knew you, or you knew her, or you were a big shot. I new you must have had money, plus your name is Kim which means gold so..." She went off topic for a second then got back on track. "Anyway, I want more than just your money or, for the time we're married, your name. I want a job. I want my own bookstore. Get me started on that while we're married, and I will agree to your terms."

Woobin couldn't beleive it. The proposition she made was a silly one. "Shouldn't you be negotiating university tuition? Why a sudden bookstore?"

"My parents have always wanted to have a bookstore when they retired..." she said in a hush voice. "I don't think I am university material anyway. Do we have a deal?" And so it began. The whirlwind fairy tale affair of a blue eyed foreigner and the ensuing king of a castle.