I Can't Help Falling in Love with You

Fool's Gold

Woo Bin felt uneasy.  Three days after meeting Suzy he began to have doubts on sealing the marriage contract with Isabella.  Since it was midterm exams he very rarely saw the future bride.  Which was alright with him since he spent his hours away from Empire business learning more about Suzy's hopes and goals.  The exchange the two had were intellectual, a level that Bella couldn't possibly match.  She had beauty and brains, and she should be by his side supporting him as his wife as he takes over Empire Inc completely.  Bella had her nose between a book while she walked the halls of the large mansion.  She often paced while she read, memorizing her steps as she followed the same path from her bedroom, past Woo Bin's library/office, through the inner courtyard and back around.  She hit a wall and fell to the ground.  She dropped her book and reached for her broken glasses.  After cursing, she picked herself up she saw him with the familiar disappointed look on his face.  She didn't apologize for cursing and walked past him, obviously avoiding further eye contact.  Woo Bin grabbed her wrist and swung her to face him.  "We need to talk."

He dragged her to his bedroom and his scent filled her lungs.  When that happened she always felt light headed.  She hated how easily her body reacted to his sight, his touch, though minimal, his scent, and his voice.  Ah, damn his voice.  She stood in the middle of the bedroom, completely uncomfortable despite having many conversations and interactions with him, she still felt awkward.  She never knew what to talk about with him, she often sat during meals with her head down while he, Suzy, Seunghyun and Jongsuk talked about their day.  The words were muffled, she wasn't really listening, she merely ate and played her part.  A quiet, submissive fiancee to Kim Woo Bin.  Each time Woo Bin spoke, her mind focused on the sound, not the content of his words, just the sound.  Seunghyun's voice had similiarities with Woo Bin's but for only her fake fiance's voice stood out.  She was like a trained dog, knowing her master.  

"Did you hear me?" Woo Bin's face was dangerously close to hers, and she drew back.  Taking a step backwards until the distance was slightly more comfortable.  She stared back at him confused.  Confused because she didn't hear a thing he said.  He repeated himself.  "I have thought about it more and more.  It makes sense for Suzy and I to be together.  However, I cannot risk my position in Empire, which means when we get married, Suzy will permanently be living in the estate as well.  Outside of the estate, at business functions, you and I are husbad and wife.  But inside the stone walls, I will be with Suzy.  You will stay here in the main house, Suzy and I will move to one of the homes in the estate."

He made it as clear as possible, perhaps needing to write another contract to ensure she fully understands the situation.  Woo Bin waited for a response, the woman stared at him blankly.  Isabella couldn't process what she just heard fast enough for Woo Bin.  He left her in his thoughts, the impatient man that he is.  He had to calm Suzy down after she confessed the feelings she had towards him before she ran to his mom and try to stop the wedding.  It was only fair, Woo Bin felt, to make sure Bella knew what was happening.  

Seunghyun had tried his best to get to know the young Isabella Park, and he found her to be a difficult heart to steal.  Unrequited love is as strong of a love as it gets, so it seems.  After seeing his cousin interact day after day prior to the wedding, gave him high hopes.  But how can he win this girl's heart when it was filled with both love AND hatred for Kim Woo Bin?  "Isabella?" He knocked on her bedroom door and had no response.  Woo Bin appeared from his bedroom into the hallway, and watched his cousin speak to the closed door.  Concerned, he called out Seunghyun.  

"Hey, what's up?" With furrowed eyebrows, he moved towards his cousin.  Bella's door suddenly opened, startling Woo Bin, remembering that he left her in his bedroom, then realizing that they shared a bathroom.  Isabella's arms wrapped tightly around Seunghyun's body.  Her face buried against his chest as she began to sob loudly.  Seunghyun ignoring Woo Bin completely wrapped his arms around her frame and rubbed her back, consoling her, yet again.  He pulled her gently off his chest, placing his finger on her chin, lifting her face.  He hated seeing her cry, and the few days he's known this girl she's cried one too many times.  But he couldn't think her weak.  She's overcome a lot.  To agree to such a contract in order to have a stable life on her own in five years time is understandably tiring.  

Seunghyun hushed her sobs.  "Sh, little one, calm yourself.  You need to breathe."  Woo Bin watched as Bella's wet eyes stared at his cousin.  She hugged him again, and Woo Bin felt an ache on his chest.  Reacting to what he just witnessed, he stomped his way to them, closing the distance from his bedroom door to hers.  But before his presence was noticed, the door shut in his face, and the two disappeared from his sight.  Into the bedroom.  Alone.  Together.  

"Oppa?" Suzy called out to him and Woo Bin ignored her, wantiing swat her away like a gnat buzzing around on a hot summer day.  His breathing elevated at the sight of the two hugging.  He grew angry at the thought.  When did these two become close?  And at what capacity are they that close?  He didn't even see Suzy walk to him, he moved past her, dodging her outstretched arm.  Jongsuk will know.

Bella sat at the edge of the bed, finally calm from the thoughts brewing in her head.  She tried to escape once, and she ended up back from where she started.  Explaining what Woo Bin told her in his bedroom, Seunghyun felt even more sympathy towards her.  He knew his cousin could never love, he knew he wouldn't allow himself that kind of vulnerability.  A marriage contract made sense for him.  It was all business.  However.  Adding the other woman to the mix, did Woo Bin truly develop feelings towards her?  The more he spoke with Bella, the more determined he was to break the contract somehow.  But Choi Seunghyun is loyal to the family.  He could not ruin his aunt's son, her family, his family.  After witnessing a week of agony the woman has undergone, urged him to provide her a better life.  Having Bella for the next five years in the Kim household without a knight to protect her was something Seunghyun couldn't imagine.  His options were at one point to take her away.  But again, Seunghyun is loyal to his family.  

He gripped Bella's shoulders enough to draw her attention and keep her focued on the words he was about to say.  "Isabella Park, I am here for you.  I will not let you be in the estate without support.  So listen carefully to what I am about to say."  Bella nodded her head, ready to hear his proposal.

....

Woo Bin couldn't believe his eyes.  The videos of his cousin and Bella enjoying their time with activities in the estate boiled his nerves.  His own fiancee covorting with a close family member.   With disgust and intense jealousy he watched her laugh with him and interact with him.  She was lively and smiling.  She showed sides of herself to Seunghyun that she's never shown to Woo Bin, and that irritated the heir so much that he threw Jongsuk's phone over the balcony and into the courtyard.  "What the , hyung!"  Jongsuk watched his phone land on the grass.  "That was an X!  You have no right to be jealous, if that is what it is you're showing.  It's hard to tell with you since you often flip emotins so quickly.  You've been ignoring her since Suzy arrived, who else do you think she can go to after seeing you flirting with another pretty girl in which, by the way, she's supposed to be OK with because it's in the dumb contract you wrote up."  Jongsuk cursed more, one word after the other while he put on some pants so he can go out and retrieve his iphone X in the courtyard.  "Why are you upset anyway?  You wanted this. Seunghyun hyung can take care of her while you run Empire and go with your side chick freely when you get home.  

Woo Bin was always amazed at how Jongsuk picked up on things.  He already predicted what Woo Bin thought to be a good plan for himself after the wedding.  Live with Suzy, and let Bella play her role as contracted.  Except Woo Bin didn't foresee Bella to be with another.  As if Jongsuk could read his mind, his younger brother stared back at him as he tsk'd.  ", you're so selfish.  She's beautiful, she's kind, she's innocent, she's loyal.  She deserves a happy ending now.  Not five years from now.  With your or without you, hyung."  Jongsuk left his room, and Woo Bin let his wise words sink in.  

He found himself moving towards her bedroom.  With his hand on the door handle, he opened the door and quietly entered the room, like he has many times without being noticed by her.  His heart stopped.

"I can't help falling in love with you."  Seunghyun laid it all out.  Sometimes the best plan is to just let the chips fall as they may.  And Seunghyun threw all his chips in, showed his cards, and hoped to the gods that she reciprocate even a little bit.  Isabella stared back at him.  She heard his sincere words, promises of being taken care of, to have a shoulder to cry on and, perhaps, to find love and happiness.  Her lips quivered.  She was speechless.  Seunghyun stared back her intensely.  He leaned forward, wanting to kiss her lips then and now.  

Woo Bin grabbed Seunghyun's shoulder, turned him away from what's his, and punched him square to the jaw.  Bella screamed, pushing Woo Bin away from Seunghyun with all her might.  She met Seunghyun on the floor, her hand gently cupping his cheek.  "Get out!" She screamed at Woo Bin.  She stood up and faced the heir.  Pushing him again.  Palms straight to his chest.  "Get the out!"  Repeatedly she pushed him.  Inching his back towards the door.  Woo Bin stared at her with shock.  She chose Seunghyun over him.  The woman who he is to marry in two days time.  The woman who confessed she loved him in Jeju Island.  As soon as he backed himself through the door frame, Bella slammed the door shut.  

"Hyung!" Jongsuk took another picture.  "Smile."  He took another and ran for his life as he yelled, "You know you deserved all of that!"