I Try to Say It

Fool's Gold

Woobin slammed the bathroom door shut. "How dare she suggest that? As if I am not enough of a jackpot for her!?" Her actions irritated him so much. "She confessed she loved me at Jeju, and all of a sudden I should make Suzy my wife?!" His bedroom door swung open then closed, Jongsuk jumped on his bed and laughed at him.

"Trouble with the future Mrs. Kim, hyung?" Jongsuk asked, laughing. He heard his brother's llittle rant and wanted to take a jab at him. "Ever since Bella came into your life you've become so much more livelier. It's awesome!" Woobin threw a pillow at him. His brother saw right through him. "You know, you can admit you like her. You wrote on the contract she can't fall in love with you, yet you yourself are falling for her." Woobin pinched the bridge of his nose. His brother could read him like an open book. The only person who could. The only person he would allow. He let out an exasperated sigh while he conjured up a logical explanation at his annoyance. Jongsuk pointed out multiple times how often the woman brought about his feelings. It was rare he showed any kind of feelings, yet with the woman caused him to over think his words and actions. 

Changing the subject was his best method to avoid giving Jongsuk the benefit of being correct. Woobin could, if he allowed himself to, to fall in love with his fiancee. However, his career was more important, and the man had too much pride. The contract had been signed. What they had was an agreement he wasn't going to stray from. Which brought about the woman he met earlier. Suzy. "What do you think of dad's friend and her daughters?"

Jongsuk raised a brow. "You are interested in the eldest girl?" He let out a chuckle. "You're all worried Bella would mess up your arrangement, yet you are flirting with the possibility of a new love interest." Leave it to Jongsuk to make his brother feel guilty for having any sort of attraction for another woman besides his fake future wife.

"Are you telling me you'd be happy your hyung will live a loveless marriage for the next five years?" Jongsuk's eyes narrowed at Woobin's question. Had his brother actually tapped into his heart? Had his brother actually feel an attraction for another, to the point of creating a possible scandal, which would complicate his once perfectly calculated life? "Go ahead and say it." Woobin knew Jongsuk's mind was working on overdrive as he stared back with a suspicious look.

"I'm merely shocked. Hyung has an even bigger heart it seems. So big he has room to fancy one girl, when he has to pretend not to like the one he's contracted to marry."

"Is that what you are getting at? You think I fancy Bella?" Woobin laughed at how somewhat right his younger brother was. Except they both knew Woobin was too stubborn to act on it. He was also way too proud. "I'm getting ahead of myself my dongsaeng. It isn't an attraction that I feel for Isabella Park. I do feel guilty for taking her little rumour further away from the reason and place of origin. The opportunity though presented itself so fast I had to react. I couldn't let our cousin take what's rightfully ours. I will admit out loud to you that she is attractive, but her pedigree will always bother me. And I do not apologize for thinking that way. As for Suzy, she will grow an attraction towards me which I will allow to blossom on it's own. So long as neither women challenge my rise in Empire Inc." He was proud of himself. He reasoned his way into making himself believe Bella was nothing but a pawn in his chess game of life. While Suzy, or any woman for that matter, will easily distract him from their marriage arrangement.

Jongsuk stood up from the bed, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I didn't realize you could talk that much for that long about girls." He walked away teasing his older brother, and believing fully there was something about Isabella Park. She had something special in the way she pulled out sorts of feelings from his brother and causeed him to work his imagination. Woobin's mind is not only filled with statistics and personal achievements. He wasn't some narcissistic, uptight business man who bored most with his lack of banter. "Hyung, it isn't too late to stop, rip up the contract. Allow yourself to legit find a wife. You had an out when Bella left the estate for Jeju. Why did you bring her back?" He patted his brother's shoulder. There had to be an attraction towards Bella, such an attraction that it became necessary to bring her to the estate. "You can tell me another day, I'll give you a chance to gather your thoughts." He chuckled low, and left the room.

Woobin turned his head towards the bathroom door. He often found himself moving towards her side of the shared bathroom. Placing his ear against the door to listen to sobs or music. Both reflecting her current mood. It was too quiet. He slowly opened the door just a crack to peek inside. She was sitting on the floor reading the contract. He knew it was the contract for he recognized the envelope on the ground next to her feet. She had a highlighter, marking things in the contract. She was talking to herself, which she often did. He opened the door wider, hoping she'd notice him. An opportunity for him to apologize for his actions during breakfast with Suzy. It obviously made her upset. Upset enough to suggest she be his wife instead of her.

"Hey." He managed to say to her after his recent outburst.

Her blue eyes met his. They stayed like that for a few seconds, a few seconds too long. Bella quickly looked away after realizing she wasn't imagining him entering her room for a cordial greeting. "Hey." She finally responded, flustered. She stuffed the contract in the envelope, as if Woobin didn't know what it was she was hiding in it. Bella kicked it under her bed nonchalantly, and pretended to look in her new book bag.

"Are you ready for school?" He sounded so old asking her such a thing. He was older than Bella and she often did act like a child, especially when she was flustered in front of him. She nodded like she always did. Silently, and avoiding eye contact as well as engaging in very little dialogue with the man. "Would you want me to take you instead of my driver?" She stopped messing with her belongings, and looked at the lamp in front of her.

"Don't do this. Please." Isabella sighed. She didn't like him being friendly. It played with her emotions way too much. She knew his thoughfulness wouldn't last. He would find something about her actions or lack there of to be a nuisance. Her confidence around him was pretty much zilch. She had none, and the extremely rare sweet moments of concern he showed her brought her hopes up. False hopes. Something she found herself dwelling on and overthinking to the point of frustration. There were times in the estate when he would walk by her without drawing any notice from him. Completely ignoring her presence even if they were the only ones in the hallway or courtyard or kitchen. Wherever they were, if it was just the two of them, Woobin would avoid talking to her and did not bother to give her any attention. She figured it was due to a long day at work. She accepted it. She grew accustomed to his coldness. It allowed her to slowly find a way to dissipate the feelings she had towards him. However. He came crashing in with small moments like this. Reminding her of a possible sincere side of the heir apparent.

"What are you talking about?" Woobin hadn't a clue to the reason why she gave him a cold shoulder. He was only trying to show some concern after disappointing her earlier. "Isabella? Would you please look at me while we talk?"

She finally turned and met his eyes briefly. "Don't concern yourself with me. I'll play my part well. I don't need you to pretend to care where I go or what I do while you work at Empire tower. It's one of your rules anyway. You stated it on the fourth page, paragraph two. 'Do not expect any form of kindness in the way a husband would to a wife.'"

Woobin was taken aback by her bold words. Quoting from the contract he wrote himself. Hearing the rule out loud made him feel guilty for being so petty. The contract, in some ways, gave him freedom to treat her unkindly. It was wrong to do. Yet, they both signed it. She read the fine print and she agreed to it all. "Yes. You are correct. It's good you read the contract diligently." He couldn't be nice to her, he couldn't swallow his pride and apologize for his behavior or for the rudely written contract. He hadn't felt it odd she would agree to the way it was written. Giving him freedom to treat her like a stranger despite the context of the agreement: to be his wife for five years, and play it so well others believe it to be true.

Suzy knocked at the open door to Isabella's room, where Woobin and his fiancee were conversing. "I don't mean to interrupt you two. I was wondering if Woobin could show me the grounds of the estate." Bella took a deep breath and managed to give her a kind smile.

"Sure thing." She turned to Woobin, her eyes showed a tinge of pain, and she tried to hide it. Woobin stared back at her pretty blue eyes. A small bit of him wanted her to say no, to actually fight for her fiance's attention from the beautiful stranger. "I have to get my things ready for school tomorrow. You should entertain our house guest." She fought back the tears dwelling on her eyes. She didn't want Woobin to see her jealous. It was forbidden for her to be jealous as stated in the contract. She looked down, avoiding his eyes once again, and walked past him to the bathroom.

Woobin smiled at Suzy, holding a hand, signaling to her he'd soon join her. He followed his fiancee and hugged her from behind. He also gave her a kiss on the her head. "Don't miss me too much, babe." That did it. Bella's tears rolled down her face, and a few tears landed on Woobin's hand as she walked past  him. She released herself and walked briskly to the bathroom. She ran straight into the shower, the water and drowned herself with water and her tears.

Woobin battled with what to do next. He stared down at his hand, wet from her tears. Was he being too much? He hugged her as an apology of sorts, had she taken it wrong? Before he could walk to Bella, Suzy grabbed his other arm and tugged.

"Oppa, I am looking forward to the tour of the estate."

Woobin looked down at Suzy's cuteness. Normally he hated girls who forcefully spoke with a cute voice, but he allowed it from her. It did not remove from her great pedigree. As Woobin walked around their estate, he pointed out the beautification of the garden and private swing behind the peonies. The estate contained several homes besides the main house. "My cousin is overseas teaching in Australia. He lives there, and across the way, my fiancee's friend and co-worker lives there. Your home is down the hill there." He bowed to Suzy, making the tour rather quick to her dismay, and encouraged her to check out the rest of the estate on her own. Suzy asked to have coffee with him after lunch. He smiled and agreed. His mind filled with the tears he felt when he left Bella's room. The same tug emerged in his insides, pulling him towards the woman. He walked towards the main house, his chest pounding and a worry he's felt once before...when he was in Jeju, watching her walk away.