Not the Way It Feels

Fool's Gold

​He moved his way to the lobby swiftly, the valet had his Porsche 911, started. As the taller male slipped into the leather seat cozily, he drove towards the coffee shop in less than five minutes. He didn't bother shutting the engine due to his hurriedness. The pull towards Bella at the moment was stronger than ever. He had a feeling similar to the night he pulled her out of the shower floor, bloodied and wet and hurt. The shop's sign was providing light on the boardwalk, but inside it was dark sans the emergency light in the far corner of the barista counter. He felt that sinking feeling. He was so close to her back then, and not once did he care to chase after her like this. Not once did he care to worry for her, to speak to her, to look at her. Perhaps he had though, perhaps he was so dry with indifference for so many years that it took this woman's rash decision to cut away from his life completely in order to feel again.

It was supposed to be easier. So many times after his parents decided they were to wed via a contract to secure his spot as Empire's heir, his insides were angry. He felt hatred towards the woman who flipped his world upside down in order to save face from a bunch of mean girls in school. He should be relieved she took the blame, deciding on her own what's best for both of them, and leaving Seoul completely and branded a "gold digger." The mini-scandal favored Woo Bin, yet it, she, left a huge hole in his heart. He felt the pain again in his chest. Confusion set in his head as well. Was he searching for her for closure? Did he yearn for her so that he may say his last words to her? He always wanted the last words, he always had his way, he always had the final say. Was it sheer anger that his mind was filled with her departure? It couldn't be love, or could it? He hadn't known her well enough for that, yet here he stood in front of the last place he saw her. Here he stood, lost. This is not the way it feels to be happily rid of someone who brought nothing but problems in your life. He should feel content with his current situation. 

The man's fickle mindedness brought him to sit at the bench at the front of the shop, staring absentmindedly towards the ocean and the moon lighting up the sandy beach. Ocassional sounds from happy couples and familes walking the path near him were muffled as he questioned these feelings once again. It was a daily recurrence. He honestly did not know why he was feeling the way he did. He was a changed man somehow, and he knew the catalyst emerged earlier in the beverage shop, disregarding his very existence. When they were engaged, he wanted to be nowhere near her. When she broke up the engagement and disappeared from his life, being away from her made him incomplete somehow. The feeling of abandonment by the woman who should have been his wife caused his mind to wander.

"Woo Bin?A voice from the past echoed in his mind. "What are you doing here?" He still had no clue. He sat confused. Yet he answered, a whisper, however his deep voice echoed through the thin ocean air. "Would you believe me if I told you I think I may have missed you?" It was her voice as he remembered. Shaky, unsure. She was always nervous around him. He felt bad for making her terrified of him. She never made eye contact when they spoke either. Woo Bin remained facing away from the voice, in his mind she stood behind him anyway as he looked straight at the beach. "Ah. That is hard to imagine." There was a pause, a long one. He didn't want to say something back to her, he wanted to hear her voice, and imagine her near. She spoke again. "It was a clean break, things went in your favor. You should go back to Seoul. I hear you're doing good things."

Clean break? If it was so clean why would he replay the small moments they shared together while engaged? Things went in his favor? If so, why was he feeling things he hadn't felt in years?

He'd like to think she was keeping track of him despite disappearing from his life. Believing this meant she actually cared for him a lot, though he knew she did even during the engagement. There was a sense of pride he supposed. When his friends saw Isabella for the first time they were floored by her beauty. Though he didn't show it, he felt proud for having such a beautiful fiancee. Of course, that was the past. "Since when has your opinion mattered?" His tone was tough, but it was playful too, and he hoped he wasn't too harsh sounding. The male hadn't found the balance of fun and seriousness just yet. There was an even longer pause, which caused Woo Bin to turn around, regardless of imagining the conversation being played out in his head.

His eyes narrowed at the sight meters from him. He could see Kahi walking towards where he sat, and a woman crossed paths with her. They both slowed down and stared at one another as if they knew each other. Woo Bin stood up to turn his attention and take a better look. "Isabella?" He spoke under his breath with both disbelief and relief. Was she standing behind him the entire time? Did the conversation he had real? "Isabella?!" He called out to her when he saw her move past a heated Kahi, and the female halted for a millisecond as if recognizing the name. "Isabella!" He knew it was her, and she was leaving becasue of what he said. He ran past Kahi who wrapped her hands around his wrist and arm.

"Please, Woo Bin, leave her alone." Woo Bin stopped so he wouldn't drag the woman with the death grip on his arm. He stared back at her, glaring, and eyes full of anger.

"You knew? You knew she was here, didn't you? Tell me!" His voice became loud and forceful matching the sound of thunder near the horizon. "What's your part in this, Kahi?"