I Let You Use Me

Fool's Gold

The next three weeks since she officially moved back to Seoul from Jeju, Bella efficiently adjusted into her new role as the head of Empire's coffee and book shop. Steph and her easily adapted to the environment, the highly modernized hub for Seoul millenials to enjoy drinks, a good read, and company. She barely saw Woobin except for in the evenings when the family got together for dinner. He hid in his room afterwards until he peeked in her bedroom to wish her a stern goodnight. He hadn't asked her how things were, they fell into the routine to play their engagement as if she never left the Kim compound. Fortunately for Bella she also had not bumped into Gain. Apparently Woobin had forgiven her, according to the gossipy maids' conversation she eavesdropped early in the morning. There was a buzz around the house about the upcoming nuptials for the heir apparent and his once runaway bride-to-be. Mrs. Kim managed to put the wedding arrangements together, Bella was happy she did. After all, it was all for show.

Bella sat in her bedrooom, on the small loveseat located at the foot of her bed, staring at the envelope containing the revised contract. Things have been moving along to the liking of Kim Woobin. Her heart still held residual affects from the confrontation she had with him, her confession, the day he appeared in her Jeju apartment. He promised a coffee shop, and she got it, with all the bells and whistles. She would attend university tomorrow, go to classes for two weeks as Isabella Park, then marry the once most eligible bachelor in Seoul.

"Having second thoughts?" A deep voice echoed in her almost empty bed room. Bella looked up and her eyes met with the taller male. His tie loose, the top two buttons of his shirt ed, his jacket hanging over his left arm. He was very handsome even after a long day at work, with his hair slightly disheveled and tired eyes. She stood up quickly, placing the envelope containing her contract in the drawer containing her socks. She always had to move about when Kim Woobin was around her. His presence reminded her of too many feelings she tried her hardest to mask. She didn't want to seem weak around him. She knew through his actions he had zero feelings for her, at least none of the sort she had for him. The feelings she tried to bury while in Jeju crawled back every time he appeared before her. She cleared and walked to the door towards their balcony. The other connection, besides their shared bathroom, to gain access to their rooms. She needed air, she needed more space between them, she needed to breathe without him noticing the anxiousness she felt around him. Bella knew the marriage wasn't going to be a fairytale one. She wasn't stupid, she was realistic. She knew the kind of man he was. Calculated and intelligent, unimpressed with her plain personality and lack of class. A man like him should be marrying someone more impressive.

Finally she uttered a few words towards him before exiting her bedroom and breathing in the night air. The balcony overlooking the open courtyard gave her some reprieve from the tightness she always felt when around him. "Not at all." She lied, of course she was having second thoughts. Five years of her life she had to pretend to be in love with the man she actually loved. Everyday in private she will pretend to not be actually in love with him, yet play the role of a loving wife in front of people.  "And you?" She challenged him, "are you sure you want to go through with this?"

"I wrote the contract, you and I signed it. You should know by now I am a man who follows through with everything he does." He reminded her of Jeju, his persistence in bringing her back to Seoul as soon as he stepped into her apartment. He stood a few steps to the left of her. Staring into the same courtyard with the opened glass roof. The moon shone brightly. Woobin took a glance at the woman next to him. He very rarely showed her he took any interest in her beyond how she appeared in public and how she acted with Empire Inc's business associates. However, he admitted to himself and a few of his closer acquaintances that his fiancee was certainly beautiful. In a city with Koreans, the foreigner stood out. Sure she was raised in Seoul for half of her life, she was fluent in the language and culture as if she was born in the city. With her European look, when all done up, she could challenge any Seoul supermodel. When his mind wandered towards an analysis of her inner and outer beauty, Woobin distracted himself to think about something else entirely. He was careful to not be distracted by the reason he was marrying the woman. Business. Empire's throne was the real prize. He had to make sure the woman would not mess up his chances. "You almost messed things up for me." He reminded her. He always reminded her. "I hope you understand your runaway bride act will not happen at the alter."

Bella wanted to smack him most of the time, basically the times he spoke down to her. Which was almost all the time they had an exchange. Of course, she had no courage to actually do it. Plus, he was mesmerizing. His height, his eyes, his voice, his eyebrows... She quietly nodded to show she understood. She knew he only listened to his own conscience so words from her would not matter, even if they were words of assurance. He asked if she adjusted at the coffee shop, and if she was ready for first day at university tomorrow. Bella replied with nods and no eye contact. She knew if she looked at him, she would lose her ability to think straight. That was how messed up she had gotten since her return. The more days she spent in her role as his fiancee the more she fell for him. Despite the cons of his personality outweighing the pros, she couldn't control her heart. She yearned for Kim Woobin, and for the next five years she had to resist him. She had to make everyone, especially him, she was not really in love with him, it would only be for pretend, for show. In the end she knew her heart would hurt more and more, a sacrifice she would make to keep the coffee shop she always wanted and knew could never have on her own accord, and go to school debt free. "My driver will take you to school tomorrow, and pick you up. You will be driven to Empire Incorporated three times a week, Stephanie and your other employees will manage the shop during those days. My father wants you to meet the board members prior to the wedding date. Understand?" Bella nodded, which caused Woobin to let out a disapproving sigh. "Is nodding all you can do? You can't even look at your own future husband. How are we ever going to sell that we are a loving couple to the board if you stand silently moving your head!?" At each question his voice raised. 

Bella's hand gripped the marble bannister of the balcony. She turned to face Woobin, attempting to appear stoic and unmoving. Failing to do so, however. She bowed after giving him a slight smile. "I will play the role well," she managed to say with little eye contact. She turned her heels and headed back to her bedroom. Woobin grabbed her wrist and spun her around. He gripped her shoulders and Bella let out a gasp. She looked up at his dark brown eyes. gaped open. It was her first good look at Woobin in a long time. It sent chills down her spine. He was both gorgeous and frightening at the same time.

"Why does it have to be you?" He almost said it in a whisper, almost as if it was to himself. Yet, it wasn't. He said it loud enough for Bella to hear. The disappointment in his voice. Another shot in the dark from her would-be husband. It was hurtful as hell. She tried hard to fight back her tears. His words hurt. Why was it her? Oh yeah, because she wanted for once to prove to a bully that she was more than just an orphan raised in a foreign country, one who wouldn't take from anyone even if it was for five seconds of her life. The business card of Empire's heir between her fingers, held in front of the one girl and her crew who constantly since she arrived in Seoul years ago. That one moment when Bella Park had the upper hand. And here she was. In front of a different kind of bully. The man she had difficulty trying to not fall in love with.

"I am sorry to disappoint you. I should never have started the rumor. On the bright side, I let you use me from the day we first met." She forced a smile, released herself from his grasp, and walked into her bedroom. She shut the door behind her and stepped to the side, leaning against the wall, away from his eyesight. She slid to the floor and buried her face to her knees, allowing the tears roll down her face. She prayed the five years would go real fast, and for Woobin to fall in love with another woman...