Crow on a Wire

Fool's Gold

She was destined to be an outcast from the day she was born. Blue eyes, dark brown hair and taller than the average Asian woman's height. Isabella Park was adopted by a prominant Korean surgeon and his wife who wasn't able to have children of their own. Deciding to adopt the Hungarian baby the day she was born, Mr. and Mrs. Park had no regrets upon laying their eyes on the beautiful baby girl; a girl, that no matter the color of her skin or the difference in their bloodlines, would call eomma and appa when she first spoke. Bella, grew up in Paris with her parents. She learned about the Korean cutlure and the French culture, along with her Hungarian heritage. She had no siblings, she knew of Korea from her parents' stories, KBS World, CNN, and the history books. At twelve her parents returned to their motherland with her dad finding a position in the local hospital in Gangnam, an affluent district in Seoul, South Korea. Her mother was an adjunct professor at Seoul National University, teaching linguistics. She attended an international school at first, and the transition from Paris to Seoul was much easier for the young girl. She met children of various backgrounds, fluent in their own native languages. She thrived in Seoul International Academy. Next, Jeguk High School opened up, a private and elite university perparatory school enrolled by the children of highly successful businesses from all over Asia. The school's headmistress was Kim Se Ah, the wife of the very influential and successful real estate president of Jeguk conglomerate, aptly named Empire Inc. Kim Su Ro's arms spanned the globe with his five-star hotels and resorts as well as his various premium outlet malls and platinum service residential high rises. Bella's father and Su Ro were long time friends. When her parents passed away, the Jeguk president became her sole benefactor. Unfortunately, she never met him as Su Ro felt he was to blame for her father's death. But that story will come at a later time.  

...

Bella rolled out of bed and dragged herself into the shower. It was week five of lving alone, living without her parents. She lived in her cozy, one bedroom apartment with a kitchen that was barely used thanks to the impeccable five-star room service at Hanseong. The high rise buildling was a full-fledged hotel, with numerous accommodations, and several top floors were residential suites. Thanks to her benefactor, the nineteen year old high school senior was able to live comfortably. She didn't know who he was or how he earned the money, but like clock work the money appeared in her account. She always had plenty and her expenses were payed for: groceries, rent, and tuition. There was a request from her benefactor, a way to keep tabs on her. Every evening when she arrived home from school she'd have to send an SMS to the contact number. She tried calling it and the number seemed to only accept messages.

In the last five weeks, she saved a lot, not wanting to splurge on anything for fear of having the money run out one of these days. Part of her felt like she didn't deserve it, so she was ever so hesitant to use it. She was a student, and so, she found a part-time job as a maid in the building. It was convenient. She'd come home from school and begin her shift cleaning rooms in the penthouse suites. Life alone was about routines. The routines kept her mind away from missing her parents terribly. There were many times throughout the night the girl would cry herself to sleep, clutching a teddy bear tightly and allowing her thoughts to wander, remembering her parents. She felt stuck. And day by day she went through the motions. Her short term goal was to graduate next month. Her long term goal was, well, she hadn't thought that far yet as each week had become a struggle in itself. She just now came back from a long grieving period. She knew she'd have a lot to make up as the new semester began weeks ago. 

It was 7:05am and breakfast was on the run. An apple and a bottle of water were stuffed in her backpack. She pocketed her phone and made sure her wallet was in the bag along with her bus pass placed in the back pocket. She arrived a half hour later. The academy was quite close to where she lived, but it was too cold to be walking in Seoul. "Oh. My. Gosh. I thought you moved?" Hyomin, the school's resident mean girl, always had a thing against Bella. Mainly because her looks drew the attention of many. Bella wasn't skinny like most of her classmates, due to her ethnicity most likely. She had curves, wide hips, and she was tall, standing about 180cm to the average class height of females at 170. Her blue eyes were killer. The color of the crystal blue seascapes. Hyosung, Bella's good friend, stepped forward to say something snappy back at Hyomin. Shinhye held Hyosung back and told her she wasn't worth their attention. If it wasn't for the two of them she'd be so far lost. Bella owed them her life, for now, she could only give them a few pieces of her favorite Lindt milk chocolate bar. Today was going to be a long day, she knew it. The three girls, along with the rest of the student body, waited for Headmaster Kim to come on the intercom and alert them to move to their homeroom class.

...

The light flickered into his room, Jongsuk threw a pillow at the curtain blowing by the wind which caused the sunlight to seep in.

"Young master? School begins in an hour, you mustn't be late." The voice of his assistant pleaded Jongsuk to wake up, and the thought of his parents yelling at him if he was not ready for breakfast echoed in his ears as an even louder alarm. His torso rose from the bed, hand scratching the back of his head, still half asleep, and he scratched his waistline. Giggles in the room could be heard, followed by his assistant's voice. "Young master, your undergarments are inside out." Jongsuk's boxers were indeed inside out and he noticed he was only wearing one sock. Dismissing them out of his room, he entered the bathroom to shower and wake himself up.

The second son of Empire Inc., Kim Jongsuk, grew up as boy with many privileges and without a care in the world but to have fun and mind his manners. His older brother, Woobin, was the complete opposite of Jongsuk. The youngest heir got along well with others, sometimes too well. He was friendly, polite, playful, and grounded. His down-to-Earth and charming nature drew him many fan girls, and teachers admired the well-mannered boy at his Academy. 

...

"So you're telling me that this promise is set in stone?" Se Ah, the young master's mother, and headmaster of Jeguk High, inquired about her husband's agreement to a friend.

"He saved my life, twice. I would have died if not for his skill, and for his sacrifice." He looked at the photo of his surgeon friend who died five weeks ago. "His daughter has been on her own since. Her mother died three years ago from cancer. I promised I would take care of her. Right now she only thinks of me as a benefactor. I was too afraid to face her, me, the man who her father died saving." Five weeks ago, in a yachting accident, Kim Sooro fell overboard. His friend jumped into the treacherous ocean, pulling him to safety but was caught in the undertow and drowned. 

"But is it necessary for her to live in the guest house? Why not keep her at the hotels like you have been doing? She will be much more comfortable don't you think?"

"I need to know she's being well taken care of, she will stay with us." He faced his assistant. "Jihyuk, please get things ready for her and bring her to me when the school day ends." Jihyuk bowed and accepted his order, leaving the room.

"Eomma!" Jongsuk entered the room with a big smile, greeting both parents with an even bigger hug. 

 "Are you ready for the first day back at Jeguk? You must do well, just like your brother, understood?" His father immediately ordered him. He wasn't the most loyal of students when it came to academics. Jongsuk enjoyed the social aspects of school more than the studies. He still managed to earn high marks though thanks to a high IQ and ability to memorize things fairly fast. His father hoped to hand him and his brother the company in the very near future, but Jongsuk's lack of discipline and Woobin’s arrogance made it difficult for him to allow his sons to take over Jeguk. "Go to school and be good. Come home right away after school. We have much to discuss as a family."

Kim Woobin entered the breakfast room and greeted his parents. The filial son with the golden touch had become the most successful businessman in the 2014 fiscal year, raising Empire Inc. as one of the top tier corporations in Asia. He too had a high IQ, with slight OCD and narcissistic tendencies, but was a respectful and obedient son, and a good big brother. He never mixed business with pleasure, rarely was he seen entertaining women, finding no time and patience for them. He focused on himself, his family's company and a future to stay on top of the world. 

Though like most heirs there are flaws that stand out. Woobin’s flaw would be his arrogance and pride. Too high on himself and his abilities to appreciate the sacrifices others made to keep the company at the top. Jeguk was successful because of the people within it and from all levels of the company. The heir apparent found it difficult to trust anyone but his mother, father and brother, thus taking in the significant roles himself to the point of losing sleep and diminishing his health. Like any Fortune 500 company, the network of partnerships build, and the relationships grow. The young Kim lacked the ability to bring his guard down and attempt to make that connection, that relationship. The permanent scowl on his forehead was a reminder to the current president, his father, to train his son in the affairs of a CEO and soon-to-be President.

One day, Woobin and Jongusuk would be heading the board meetings and making decisions on behalf of the company and the staff. Jongsuk lacked knowledge and training in the business field, but his relationship skills with others were profound. Woobin lacked social cues but his knowledge in business and marketing were significant. For now, it was enough, but the board members were biting at the bit. Some members were willing to nominate Woobin’s cousin, Ji Chang Wook as VP of Empire Incorporated’s Advertising Department until the retiring Sooroo and leave Woobin and Jongsuk below him as managers. Ji Chang Wook graduated below Woobin at Seoul National University. He was second place to the eldest Kim in many things. But what Chang Wook had was something Woobin had difficulty emulating. Chang Wook had the social know how to charm a room of board members, he got along with others much like Jongsuk and he was responsible like Woobin. The total package was what the company staff called him. 

"Woobinie, could you bring Jongsuk to school today? His car is being detailed and I sent the driver to make sure it is done right. Plus I have a board meeting this morning at another location." Se Ah spoiled her sons, especially the baby. Woobin offered a soft smile, an action reserved for her alone, and obliged. After breakfast he waited for his younger brother to come down to the car.

"Where's your backpack?" Jongsuk snapped his fingers and ran into the house, minutes later his bag on his shoulder. "How can you forget the most important thing?" He lectured him regarding punctuality, doing his assignments, excelling higher than everyone, etcetera. Jongsuk nodded and yawned.

When they arrived at the academy, Jongsuk was greeted by many of his friends. Woobin's Ferrari turned a lot of heads too, one in particular was an old female companion. A teacher he went to university with. Woobin parked the car, allowing Jongsuk to get out and, after a hug towards his older brother he skipped away to do what he did best. Socialize. 

"Woobin-ssi, annyeong." The woman said with a smile. She was dressed to the nines, a bit too much for a teacher.

"Kahi, how are you?" He eyed her outfit, and the woman thought he was checking her out. In actuality he didn't approve at all. "I understand you work at a prep college, but shouldn't you be dressing more appropriately?"

Kahi rolled her eyes. The man hadn't changed. He was still the conservative young man she knew since their college days. "I'm an assistant to the dean of students, I'm not an actual teacher. I can dress sweetly if I want to." 

"But you are leaving an impression with the young students," his eyebrows raised but his words were cut short when a commotion was heard across the quad. "What's happening? It's too early for this ruckus." Two young women were yelling at each other for whatever reason and causing the elevated noise level. "Well this is my time to retreat. Have fun with them." He turned around and bumped into a student who toppled her books on the ground including her phone. "My apologies, but you should watch where you are going." Woobin looked down by his feet. His iPhone laid face down. Picking it up, he cringed at the sight of the cracked screen. The woman kneeled to gather her belongings and let out an exasperated sigh. Her phone was cracked also. Feeling more annoyed than anything, Woobin handed her his business card. He would rather fix this later than start an argument about whose fault it was. “Call me at this number when your school day is done. I will compensate for your broken phone, even though it was your fault,” he added. Before she could scream at the blunt personality addressing him, Bella rose up and found a card tossed toward her and the man walking away. Tall in stature, with perfectly poised, broad shoulders and styled hair. Like a crow on a wire, her attention was drawn to him. The way he walked, the way he carried himself, the way he spoke...intrigue grew to the identity of the stranger, and she hadn't even seen his face.