Twenty Two

This One Thing

There’s a silence that spreads through the room for a second, eventually broken by Taehyung’s nervous laughter. “Guys, its okay.” Taehyung turns back to his steak and cuts a piece, still laughing. “I’m fine really. It wasn’t meant to be.” He pours himself a shot and downs it, Jimin scratches the back of his head, his expression becoming dark.

“I ed up,” He mumbles.

“We all do,” Jin says as he takes the bottle away from Taehyung, who whines after his fourth shot.

 

Jinyoung tugs at your hand and he pulls at your hair. “Oww. Jinyoung don’t do that. Okay, auntie will pay attention to you.”  You send a text to Jungkook, who has just informed you that Taehyung knows the news.

Jinyoung pulls at your hand again, wraps him small hand around your ring and you giggle. The ring which now has two stones, but is still missing its other five friends, is Jinyoung’s source of curiosity whenever you hold him. You pick up the bunny to distract him and surely enough he goes back to playing with it.

You ponder about if you should tell Subin, when Jungkook calls you.

“I don’t think we should tell her.” He says.

“Do you really think so? I mean you said you’ve never seen Taehyung like this-

“Hayoung listen to me.” His tone shocks you and you fall silent. “If it was meant to be they would’ve been together, and I don’t know about you, but we should just stay out of it because I’m tired of watching my friend break his heart. If they were meant to be, they would know.”

Your thoughts linger on his words, and after a moment you respond. “I agree.”

 

 

Jungkook smiles and sings into the phone, “No I love you more.”

“YES, WE GET IT YOU LOVE EACH OTHER ONE OF YOU HANG UP I’M NOT EVEN BITTER.” Suga says as he passes by the doorway, turning the hallway light off.

Jungkook laughs as he says good night to Hayoung and tugs on the covers.

 

“Bring her?” Taehyung half repeats, half questions the prince’s words.

“You heard me. Bring her.” Jungkook’s eyes give off a scary aura.

“Nope. I can’t deal with this kid when he’s like that. Jin sunbaenim your presence is needed!” Taehyung yells loudly.

“Yah! I am the prince of this country!” Jungkook yells back.

“You’re too loud,” a sleepy Jin enters with a yawn. “And besides, we’re not here as bodyguards or advisors, but as your friends right now your majesty. So what is the problem?”

Jungkook waves for them to follow, and as usual, a group of eunuchs follows the three as they venture out into one of the palace’s many courtyards. Eventually, they sit under a pagoda for protection from the sun.

“Friends. We are here today because I want you to bring me the girl.” Jungkook says, nonchalantly.

“Bring you who?” Jin grabs a small dessert from the plate a maid has set down on their table.

“The widow.” Jungkook plays with his nails, to which Jin responds by almost choking. Taehyung pats his back.

“See, I told you. He’s gone crazy.” Taehyung shakes his head.

“ARE YOU CRAZY. WE CAN’T KIDNAP HER AND JUST BRING HER.” Jin yells.

“SHHH. Someone else is going to figure out he’s not suitable to rule the country.” Taehyung puts a finger to Jin’s lips.

“What!” Jungkook looks at both the boys and Jin laughs.

“Your majesty I deserve death for the treason that has come from my lips. Spare me your majesty!” Jin says mockingly.

“Yeah yeah sure. You know I can’t get rid of you, I need you guys.” Jungkook says.

Jin smiles and thanks Jungkook for sparring his life.

“Seriously though, how are we supposed to bring the girl?” Taehyung looks slightly interested.

“Taehyung you’re really on board with this?” Jin raises an eyebrow.

“Dude I’m literally the most bored bodyguard on the planet. You think that someone would try to kill the king or Jungkook or maybe plan to overthrow them and spread treasonous lies which would lead to a revolt and we would all die tragic war heroes, but nah. I’m just sitting here. The least you can do is send me on a kidnapping mission.” Taehyung takes a sip of his tea. “Who the thought of hot tea, it’s the middle of summer.”

Jungkook snaps his fingers for the maids to bring something cold for Taehyung. “Okay but let’s be real here. Why do you want this girl?” Taehyung asks.

“She’s beyond pretty and she’s a widow. Or as Jin likes to say, “I feel guilty and want to take responsibility.” Jungkook says.

“For what?” Taehyung, still confused, sips on cold water this time.

“So I investigated it, this girl is a widow of Nam Woohyun, a young noble swordsman who was sent on an intelligence mission to the west right before they invaded us. He’s the reason we’re still alive, because of his intelligence we were able to stop the attack on time and get the west country to surrender and agree to peace under our terms.” Jin explains.

“Ah, so you want to marry her out of pity. How romantic.” Taehyung says.

“It’s not just that. She’s got the voice of an angel. If she sings to me just once, I swear that in the next life I’ll sing with a voice even more powerful and beautiful than hers.” Jungkook gets up and walks to the other end of the pagoda stares out into the distance.

Taehyung laughs. “Yeah sure, and I’ll have a voice deeper than the ocean. But back to business, when does this kidnapping take place.”

“no kidnapping… not yet. I’m going to propose the marriage as a marriage of convenience for the girl, surely, she will want to leave the house. His majesty might be hard to convince, but I’ll consult his head advisor Namjoon to help me. But for now, I’d say we need to set up a way for them to meet… One that doesn’t involve this girl screaming at Jungkook. She already hates him.” Jin says.

They both sit and wonder how they’re going to get to the girl.

Jungkook turns around with the answer. “Taehyung, how about you talk to her friend?”

 

Jungkook wakes up in a cold sweat and tries to calm his hard breathing. He can’t help but feel like this is all his fault, but regardless he gets up for a glass of water, and he sees Taehyung standing by the counter chugging a gallon of water. Taehyung turns and looks at him.

“Dude I’m okay.”  Taehyung smiles sincerely.

“Your voice really is deeper than the ocean.” Jungkook mumbles.

Taehyung looks like he’s thinking hard for a moment, and then he busts out laughing. “OH THAT! Destiny is a funny thing now isn’t it.”

“Yes, because destiny is the only reason I’m mister third from the left.” Jin comments as he pours his cereal.



A.N: Wow new subbies~ Hello there! I'm trying to update when I can ^^  For now, hope ya enjoyed a little look into our Jungkookie's past~ hehe