CHAPTER 4- FIRST NAME BASIS

My Heart (A BTS and Red Velvet Story)

CHAPTER 4- FIRST NAME BASIS

 

JIN'S POV

    It was a Sunday. I held onto my phone as soon as we finished practicing the dance for our new single. I scrolled on to look for Irene's number.

    Irene-ssi, annyeong! We just finished practicing for our comeback. It's a Saturday, can we study together? - Jin

    I sat in one corner of the dance practice room when Namjoon sat beside me.

    "Who you texting? Hyuna?" He drank from bottle of water and handed it to me to drink. 

    "Ani, I got myself a study buddy. I'm asking if we could meet later, after we get out here." I kept fiddling on my phone.

    "Her? A girl?" 

    "Nae, remember the girl I bumped into? It's her. Irene Bae."

    "Irene? Ah, the girl with big eyeglasses and braces! And its an english name huh. What's her Korean name?"

    Now that Namjoon mentioned it, I realized I never got her Korean name.

    "Mollayo. I never asked." 

    "Aigoo, you're weird. How long have you been studying with her?"

    "Just once. Before we took the exams." You are completely a fool, Kim Seokjin, I thought. She must have been feeling awkward the whole time, studying with a stranger.

    My phone suddenly buzzed. "Oh I hope its her."

    Uhm, hi Jin-ssi. I'm currently here at school. Maybe you can come here? I'm still finishing an experiment.- Irene

    Ok, I'll be there. Wait for me.- Jin

    I picked up my things and hurriedly made my way to the shower. 
    
    "See you later dude. I'm meeting Irene at school," I said to the boys as I ran out of the showers after cleaning myself up.

    I had to disguise myself so that people won't recognize me. Fans wait outside the builing so it's really difficult not to get caught. As soon as I got out of the building, I quickly called a cab before those hawk-eyed fans realize that I was the one who got out of the building. Sometimes I wonder how they do that. Really.

    Upon arriving at the school, I quickly ran to the Science Department where Irene was.

    "I'm here!" I announced, panting, as I got to the laboratory. 

    "Omoya!" Irene exclaimed, nearly spilling the contents of the test tubes she is holding.

    "Oh, mianhae. I didn't mean to surprise you." I came to her and helped her. "Gwaenchanayo?" I looked at her.

    She was looking intently at me though. "Wae? What's wrong?"

    "Why are you so covered up? It's really hot outside, you know."

    "Haha, I look weird right? But you don't want your famous froend to mobbed by hos fans, right?" I smiled at her. Eversince that day we studied together, I loved how her presence can calm me. She might lookma bit nerdy to some but to me she like a sedative. Since that one day, I wanted to stay beside her. Kpop life could get a little crazy, but she's someone who is oblivious of it.

    "Yeah, remind me you're a celebrity okay. I tend to forget." She chuckled.

    "Ani, I prefer it when you treat me like a normal person, not a celebrity," I said. We finished cleaning up.

    "How about your girlfriend, Hyuna?" She asked as she took her bag.

    "Ani, she likes the idea the idea that I'm a celebrity. Sometimes, I feel I feel pressured about it to."

    "Ohhhh-kay, I see. Now, Jin-haksaeng, get your act together. Let's study!" She smiled as she motioned me to get my bag.

    "Aniyo, we are not studying today." I took her hand. She flinched at the gesture but took it still?

    "Huh? I thought you texted me so we can study."

    "I'm not in the mood now. Let's put our books in the locker first." We ran to the lockers.

    "Wait where are we going then?" She adjusted her eyeglasses which was slipping off the bridge of her nose.

    I looked into her eyes and said, "Just trust me. Today, we will be enjoying, okay?" She smiled and nodded her head.
    
    We hailed a cab and I told it to head to the amusement park. Irene sat silently so I kind of found it awkward.

    "Irene-ssi?" I said.

    "Nae?"

    "What's your Korean name?"

    "Joo Hyun, Bae Joo Hyun." 

    "Oh, it's beautiful. Joo Hyun," I suddenly had an idea. "Joohyun-ah." I called her while acting cute. "Joohyun-ah."

    Irene looked at me and laughed softly. "Stop acting cute."

    "Waeyo? It suits me well." I faced her and continued, "From now on, I'll call you Joohyun. Don't call me Jin anymore. You call me Seokjin, okay?"

    "Why? Irene and Jin sounds okay to me." Irene stared at me. "You don't like it? Besides, I'm really used to Irene already."

    "I'd like us to be unique from others, though. I like to know if its you calling me and you'll know if its me, too." I rested my chin on my hand, looking outside the window, as I spoke to her

    "They all call me Jin. Plus its also my stage name. I don't despise being a celebrity. To be exact, I dreamt of it. I'm happy about what I have become now but of course, I miss being a normal person too. Having my personal life all to myself and being able to do what I want wothout anyone watching my every move and finding fault at what I do." I looked at her and took her hands again. "You know what, I'm happy that I can open up to you like this. I feel really comfortable around you."

    I saw her cheeks turn a to a tinge of pink. Yeah I know I'm a bit cheesy but I really want her to know that I really like to be her friend. "Let's just say that I like us to call eaxh other that way as a sign of our friendship, like, uhm, special friends. Can we, Joohyun-ah?"

    She smiled and nodded, "Yes, I'll be glad to be your special friend, Kim Seokjin."

    We arrived at the amusement park soon after. I paid the cab driver and we got in. We still have to line up get the tickets. I saw Irene, ah I mean Joohyun,(oh I need to get used to her Korean name :-)) pull out her wallet to pay.

    "Joohyun-ah, no, it is my treat. I was the one who invited you." I put her hands down, stopping her from pulling out jer wallet.

    "But," shemsaid but I cut her off.

    "Don't hurt my ego, Joohyun."

    "Oh, okay." She said. "But, should I line up instead? I kind of feel that some people might recognize you there."

    "Really? I don't think..." Just then we saw a group of teenage girls pointing at our direction and giggling.

    "Really, I insist." She took the money from me and went to the queue, although I was against it. I wanted to be a gentleman but well I guess I don't have a choice. I just have to follow.

    "Here we go." She handed me the ticket and we got inside the amusement park.

    "Wow!" I stared at her as her eyes grew big looking at all of the rides. She looked around and smiled widely. "It's beautiful." This time she doesn't look like some scholarly looking lady but right now, she is a kid, taking in the view of all the rides.

    I grabbed her hand. "Let's get something to eat first. What do you want to have?"
I asked.

    "Ice cream? Not something heavy yet."  We walked hand in hand and went to get an ice cream. We walked around our ice creams. I kept holding her hand and we ran like kids.

    "Seokjin-ah, let's go there!" She pointed to a merry go round.

    "That's for kids, Joohyun." I said but she did something that was unexpected. She pouted. "Oh my Joohyun! That was so priceless. You are so cute like that. Do it again. It is so unlike you." I pinched her cheeks.

    "Ani. No way." She turned beet red. I like it so much when she's blushing.

    "Okay okay let's go. How am I supposed to say no to you." We took the merry go round. She seemed so happy to be there, riding one of the horses. I took out my phone and took her picture.

    "Joohyun, look here." She looked at my direction but as soon as she realized I was going to take her picture, she quickly avoided.

    "Why? We should take a picture. Its our first time going around as friends right?" I said.

    "I'm shy. I don't even look pretty."

    "Who said you are not pretty? Tell me, and he'll get a good beating." I walked to her side.

    "Me, I'm not pretty."

    "Yah, why do you think that? Of course, you are pretty, not just outside but also inside. You just have to discover what I see in you." I sincerely said to her. "Come on, I really want to take a commemmorative picture."

    At first, she hesitated but in the end I won over her. She shyly posed for the camera and I also posed beside her. Click! Goes the camera. I looked at our picture. "Ah kyeopta! "

    We enjoyed the whole day screaming our hearts out at the extreme rides, laughing. We tried riding the Big River, so we ended up buying matching shirts because we got wet. I even got a big pink teddy bear in a shooting game. "Good its pink, my favorite color."

    "Wow, you're good. Not just anyone can do that."

    "Of course, I'm Sergeant Kim Seokjin, a sniper." I stood in attention and saluted at her. It must have looked weird because I was holding a big teddy bear. "Haha! Anyway, here you go." I gave her the teddy bear.

    "Aigoo, aniyo. Its your teddy bear. You won it, you even said its your favorite color."  She shook her head.

    "No I really wanted to get it for you.. Come on take it." I placed the teddy bear in her hands.

    "Oh, thank you." She was smiling. I felt contented seeing her smile like that. "So, do you have a name for the bear?" I asked.

    "Name?" She looked at me incredulously.

    "Of course, you should name it." I said. But suddenly we stopped as a group of girls came to us.

    "Chogiyo, are you Kim Seokjin of BTS?" said one of the girls.

    "Yes, oh my gosh. It is him," said another one. They started to get excited.

    "Aniyo, I'm not him sorry." It grabbed Joohyun's arm telling her that we should leave.

    "But hey you really do look like him. Can you take off your hat?" They were really persistent. 

    "Oh no let's hide. They are starting to recognize me."  

    "But where?" Joohyun was getting dragged along by me, but I found it amusing that she was laughing. We ran among the crowd of people and Joohyun was busy saying sorry to those we accidentally bump.

    When we lost the girls, Joohyun and I are already panting.

    "Haha, that felt good," I laughed.

    "Is your life like this? What's this, an action movie? Oh, that was tiring." Joohyun breathed deeply.

    "But it felt good right? Oh I missed running like that!" I continued laughing like crazy. Irene watched me and she laughed with me.

    "Joohyun-ah, wanna ride the ferris wheel?" I invited her. She nodded. I took her free hand and we take on the line for the ferris wheel.

    We got into the cable of the ferris wheel and when all the passengers got in the ride started to move. We both looked outside and took in the whole view.

    "Wow its so beautiful," said Joohyun. I agreed with her. We remained silent for a while, breathing deeply after all of the excitement.

    I stared at Joohyun. I rembered the first day I bumped into her. Who would have thought that this girl I bumped into will be my spevial friend, a person I'll feel comfort with. Without realizing it, i reached out for her hand and gently called her name. "Joohyun-ah."

    She looked at me. "Hmm?"

    "Kamsahamnida, for making me happy today." I was sincere when I said those.

    "Ani," she shook her head. This was your idea. I should be the one saying thank you."

    "No, I'm really thankful. For being my friend and joining me today. I always wanted to do this." We continued looking at each other. She smiled and I felt warmth from her. Her smile was relaxing, like saying to me not to worry. That was her effect on me.

    "You're welcome, Seokjin-ah."

    Ferris wheels and amusement parks will have a special place in my heart from now on, I thought.