Chapter 10: Building Trust

Mismatch Heaven?

Chapter 10: Building Trust

 

 

“Ehem… Mr. Aaron, I suggest you go get your partner now... it’s been almost 15 minutes she hasn’t come back”-Sir Chow nagged the head banging music Aaron who has nothing to do but sitting under the tent thumping his fingers again…

 

“Besides, look at this?”-Sir Chow raised a folder at Aaron’s face which earned nothing but shrugs

 

“It’s her folder, and her map is also here… I heard that Ms. Gui has a certain reputation on this island of being a Lost and Found cause…”-Sir Chow laid the folder down by the bench where Aaron’s been sitting…

 

“Besides, you’ll never know danger lurks everywhere…”-Sir Chow left with nothing else to say whistling…

 

Aaron was still listening to his music when he felt suddenly annoyed about the whole situation… and suddenly pulled the earphones from his ears and grunts….

 

“What a trouble maker that girl is… Lost Kitten…”-he mumble staring at the folder and then scratches his head harshly and forcefully picks up the folder took the map and stomps away from the tent…

 

“Wait till I get my hands on that self-absurd Lost Kitten…brat!”-He walks harshly and started to look for the girl whom he befriended earlier…

 

This girl is getting on every nerve and neurons inside of my body, such a burden… I was cursing through out my walk and as I pass by some trees, I realize some shoe marks on the ground which was pretty much fresh and not only that it’s leading deep in the woods…

 

I scratch my head more harshly and even tempted to abandon my early thoughts on following that brat… but instead as if my feet has its own mind and suddenly walks to where these marks are leading to.

 

*************************************************************

 

“You’re the Sales Manager!?”-I raised my brows but now slowly lowering my finger, still eyes glued to the guy making sure I’m not on a nightmare.

 

“And you’re the Production Manager?”-The guy named Wu lowered his finger as well his eyes still on me, he must be thinking his also on a disbelief trance…

 

“Oh, goodie you guys have already met? Then there’ll be no problems or excuses that you guys can’t work supremely well…”-The Head Chief stood up feeling ecstatic that we’ve met already, he must have thought we are good friends or something…

 

“What? Together?”-Wu turned his back on me and re directs his attention to the Head Chief “You can’t be serious… this woman is…”- he was cut off.

 

“Don’t tell me you both have problems, coz if you do I might be forced to relieve you on your positions now and look for another replacement, I do not want any feuds on my resto…”-The Chief bluntly points out seriously which made me think…

 

“Uhmm, Boss? Can speak to him for a moment? Outside?”-I smiled to the boss and linger my eyes to the other guy in the room and signaled him to go outside with me…

 

I waited outside the Head Chief’s office for the guy named Wu to follow me, and a few moments gone by before he came out raising his brow and giving a arrogant posture as well…

 

“What do you want now?”-He asked as if just to get the thing over already…

 

“I’m sure we both need this job and we can’t afford to be fired at the same day we’re starting so…”-I said it quickly but stuttered all the way which made me think this is the first time I stuttered in my entire life.. I’m more used to myself straight forward and frank… as if on a trance he broke the silent air between us…

 

“Spit it out already… let me continue what you’re about to say… you’re trying to say we should just work together as peaceful as we could since we both need to stay on this job, am I right? Or am I right?”-He blurts out eyes daggered to my eyes which I find them quiet mysterious and seems sad as well, I slap myself back to reality and straightened my stance…

 

“Yeah, that’s it… we don’t need to necessarily get along with each other as long as no one’s around we can hate each other we want but if there’s another person we must pretend we get along just well…”-I spoke too quickly again, hoping he doesn’t think  of me as a epileptic idiot person…

 

“Fine, as long as you get out of my way…”-He uncrosses his arms from his chest and offered his right hand to me…

 

“Deal, then…”-I reluctantly shook his hand and we both returned inside the Chief’s office now pretending we’re at the same side…

 

“Anything wrong?”-The Chief spoke out as soon as we got inside…

 

“Nothing wrong, actually we worked out everything... didn’t we?”-He suddenly puts his arms around my shoulder which took me by surprise while smiling as well… it took me quiet a moment to take in what he just said before reacting to it…

 

“Yeah, we did straighten it out Chief… nothing to worry…”-I smiled to the Chief reassuring him that everything is alright…

 

“Brilliant then! You both get to it then… discuss each other’s strategy on our production and sales plans…”-The Chief stood up obviously over whelmed that everything’s alright on his eyes…

 

“Okay, we’ll go at it then…”-Wu drag me by the shoulders from the Chief’s room while waving to the Chief as soon as we got outside the office, he dropped his hands to his sides then dug his hands to his polo and took out what it seems a small bottle and started to squeezed it and rubbed to his hands… It suddenly struck me that it’s a sanitizer... How dare him!?

 

“Hey! I’m not dirty okay!”-I blurted out quiet defensive…

“I’m sure you’re not, just making sure...”-after he rubbed his hands he left me there wide-eyed about the whole thing which I just scoff…

*************************************************************

 

The guy named Calvin helped me out to stand; thankfully my foot’s already recovered from the cramp…

 

“So, why would a girl like you be in a place like this?”-Calvin asked me in such curious teasing tone while raising his brow…

“Oh… I’m working it’s my first day today, I’m still getting the hang of it…”-I answered as straight as I could since I couldn’t help not to take a risk glance from his face…

 

“Really? Me too, I work as a—.”-he stopped mid-way and started to lean closer at face level to me which I really didn’t know what he’s trying to do should I slap him? I suddenly closed my eyes and was crazy thinking on things… why am I closing my eyes?!

 

When a few moments passed by that nothing happened I opened one of my eyes slowly, peeking and I suddenly straightened myself realizing he was staring at my… chest??

 

“What are you looking at?!”-I suddenly blurted out, don’t know what got into me…

When he suddenly pointed now using his finger, pointing at my chest again… I was about to slap him thinking he was some kind of a erted alien!!  When I chose to direct my eyes to where he’s pointing at…

 

“You work as an Ice Cream lady?”-he then finally says it, wheew! My mind is so dirty! He was referring to my name pin all along…

 

“Yeah, I am… why?”-I asked tilting my head while putting my hands on the trolley…

“Well me too! Wow what a coincidence! Call of fate!”-He clapped his hands seem glad, well me too but let’s keep that as a secret, k?

 

“Really? I didn’t know I’ll be working with someone?”-I stated my sentence well more like a question…

 

“Well then Ms. Genie let’s go to work”-I was taken aback of his gentleman attitude, when he grabs the trolley and started to push it…

 

“Well what are you waiting for sunshine? The Ice Cream’s melting…”-He looked back and smile at me while calling which made me smile from the inside and I paced right away walking with him side by side…

 

As soon as we parked the trolley by the booth where we will be working together I then get to the part on placing the toppings and the rest to the display area, and I just realized that Calvin’s not helping at all instead he’s quiet busy on checking out the nearby girls who were eyeing him for quiet some time now, I didn’t know what got into me I just suddenly felt like I’ve been cheated or what…

 

“Calvin aren’t you going to help me arrange these?”-I called out to him which he purposely ignored me, it can’t be he doesn’t hear me he’s like only 4 feet away…

 

I then thought of in the airport and just earlier how he helped me when he thought I was some sort hurt or in trouble, so an idea hit me…

 

“Ow!”-I shrieked as loud as I could which in my victory he turned to my direction and quickly approached me in a gentlemanly way.. (Oh, boy Genie does not know)

 

“Are you okay what happened?”-He asked massaging my feet…

“The cramp from earlier it suddenly came… it feels so bad if I move it…”-I was so like exaggerating my act don’t even know if he’ll even buy it but he actually did… I should be given a freaking Oscar!

 

“Let me do this, here sit at this chair… and drink this… keeps you hydrated under this scorching heat… even we’re under a umbrella…”-He offered me a chair and a bottle of water from the ice box which I find it really sweet…

 

“Thanks, but you know what… I’m fine I’ll just help”-I was feeling bout the whole act thing I’m not used to lying like I barely lie but this is a “White Lie”… still it is a lie… bad me…

 

“It’s okay, just sit… let the man do his work… don’t you trust me?”-He smirks at me while winking which made me blush red, so praying he’ll not notice me blushing…

 

“Uhm… of course, I do now… trust you Calvin”-I then complied on letting him work and me just stare while sitting which made me even feel lucky I’m not doing anything else besides just watching him move…

 

*************************************************************

 

“Why are you here?”-I smiled asking the guy behind the kitchen counter wearing rimmed glasses…

 

“Well, I work here… it’s my first day…”-The guy named Jiro smiled at me which made me feel a bit weird on the inside…

“Wow, me too… it’s my first day! I’m Cyndi by the way”-I couldn’t help shrieked not so obvious happy to see him again, but now without that egocentric guy with him… offered my hand which he shook it lightly…

 

“Cool… good thing also, I haven’t met anyone else here to talk with…”-The guy seems to be quiet shy as well, judging by the part he keeps adjusting his glasses...

“Ohm... if we have time we can talk... if you want”-I smiled to him I was literally slapping myself offering a crying shoulder if he ever needs one…stupid!

 

“Really? Okay... Deal then…”-He smiled to me sweetly which made my heart skip a beat… what?!

 

“Hey! The dish is dying in the counter!! Surf and Turf!”-A man wearing a huge hat I guess the Head Chef… yelled from behind him in the kitchen…

 

“Oh, yeah… I got to serve this, don’t want to be footballed on my first day”-I quickly took the dish out of the kitchen without the so much response from Jiro… went to the dining area and took another rounds of orders from the costumers…

 

I also saw him on the corner of my eye taking orders as well and telling by the way he moves he is quiet dorky in a good way…

 

I was wrapping up the last order for the morning breakfast when I heard an audible voice which it seems sounds like an argument from across the restaurant and saw the rimmed eye guy from earlier bowing at a costumer, instincts tell me to go to him and that’s why I did…

 

“Jiro, what happened?”-I asked to him as soon as I stood beside him…

 

“This idiot! Won’t take my order!”-A guy shouted from the table where me and Jiro are standing near with a couple of men…

 

“Excuse me sir please don’t raise your voice we can talk this out, why didn’t you take the order Jiro?”-I calmly talked to the annoying costumer holding up my patience coz I might totally lost it and give this guy a proper beating…

 

“He ordered 2 gins on the rocks and tequila shots… in our rules we don’t serve alcoholic beverages in the morning and lunch; only on dinner and late night… I tried to explain”-Jiro explained to me trying not to swallow his words while still lowering his head judging by his act he mustn’t  been in a fight before nor a huge argument…

 

“Hey, 4 eyes I said our drinks!”-The guy was at it again shouting at Jiro good thing there were no other costumers’ coz it’s already after breakfast hours, I had enough of his blabbering and insults to Jiro, I did not know my fists were already moving aiming to the guy’s ugly face…

 

“Shut up! I said we can talk this out! And didn’t you just heard him why he can’t serve you?! Or you really want to die?!”-I was furious and I just noticed that the whole staffs even the one’s that were assigned on the kitchen was out staring at us… even Jiro went wide-eyed at me and suddenly…

 

“What is this?!”-A loud low voice echoed

Everyone turned around and the crowd who gathered made a way for the voice’s owner…

 

“Big Bro…”-I heard although a bit faint it was clear… Jiro mumbled…

 

“First day and you’re already making a mess? Ms.?”-The guy who’s a bit taller than Jiro arms on his chest with a very corporate stance as well despite of the poor fashion statement he’s wearing…

 

“Cyndi, my name’s Cyndi”-I answered, for the first time in my life I felt scared not because I’m in front of a dead serious guy but because I might lose this job… when I can’t afford to…

 

“It’s my fault, I can explain everything…”-Jiro stepped forward in front of me and spoke out

“I’m sure you can, follow me… serve this as a warning miss”-The guy left which Jiro followed without taking a glance at me, I felt bad knowing I just lost my footing again and went straight at it.. I’m such an idiot...

 

“Hey, you’re supposed to be working…”-A familiar voice I heard from behind…

“Sis… yeah, I’m getting to it… see ya later”-I left right away avoiding to be asked on what happened even hoping that she won’t know bout this, she already has lots of things to worry don’t want to add up…

 

*************************************************************

 

Oh My God! Now I’m lost… again… why am I such full in bad luck these days,

 

1st: cut-off on our allowances

2nd: may not go back to school

3rd: stripped of our last name

4th: being dumped into a place of nowhere

5th: have to work for money

6th: being lost

7th: being partnered by the world’s ultimate jerk!

 

I kept cursing myself on forgetting where that bloody map could be! I kept turning here then there and now I juts realized that tree I just passed by it like 6 times!.... someone get me an S.O.S!! It’s because of that good for nothing barbaric jerk!

 

“Ahh!!!”-I screamed out of frustration that echoed throughout the woods which made the birds fly rapidly away... they must have thought “The Hulk” has just arrived, what am I a cave ruin?

 

Out of deep depression I kicked every rock small or big as far as I could just divert my anger from my body to solid things… just in order to release it that’s all, I mean what could it be worse than this?

 

While kicking rocks on the way to where this feet is taking me I accidentally trip and fell into a ditch which I find it stupid! How could this be?! Why do I have such a blabbing mouth! And has to be right!

 

“I hate you world!!!”-I screamed again getting up from the ground wiping the leaves on my head and arms as well… when I tried to stand up I groaned and fell to my …

 

I suddenly realized I actually must’ve twisted my freaking ankle… besides that worse is I just heard leaves crumpling sound and twigs breaking, I felt alert knowing either it’s a Lion..

 

Wait, there’s no Lion here… or oh, dear Wild Pig? OMG! I slapped my mouth for thinking that knowing my experience so far this blabbing out turns out to be right…

 

The noise got nearer and nearer, and I felt it’s already on top of me, I braced myself for the upcoming impact of my death and I felt like my life totally flash through my eyes… and when I felt a leave dropped on my thigh indicating it’s on top of me, I freakingly screamed…

 

“Please don’t kill me!!! I taste bad! I always drink strawberry smoothie! You won’t gain anything from my body!!!”-I blab too much just hoping it’ll scare it away somehow…

 

“Why would I eat you?”-A familiar voice spoke which made me look up right away and kind a feel glad to see him…

 

“Are you alright? Wait…”-The guy disappeared for a while and I suddenly felt someone’s coming from behind so I turned my head as far as I could and saw him running towards me…

 

“I kind a twisted my ankle…”-I tried not to whimper just so he can’t tell I’m scared… y Pride is still important…

 

“If you weren’t so high almighty you wouldn’t get in this trouble… here hold to my neck…”-He assisted me by the hand and I cross mine to his neck, now carrying me as carefully as he could like a bridal style…

 

“It wasn’t my fault either… you were very snobbish at first and very un-cooperative as well, how do you think should I react?”-I retracted at his statement like a lawyer defending…

 

“Fine, just hold on…”-He placed me carefully at a huge flat rock, and he suddenly kneeled taking off my shoes…

“What are you trying to do..?”-I asked alarmingly what he is doing…

 

“We have to straighten your ankle, it seems dislocated…. So we can set it and to heal it quickly…”-He looked up serious at what he’s saying…

 

“No way!!!”-I shrieked…

“We have to…”-He firmly said

*************************************************************

Okay… a cliff hanger folks!!

 

Hehe sorry GuiLun!!!

 

Next chap!! Look forward to it please!!!