Warning

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    I was busy wiping down the kitchen countertop after dessert when a flash of heat shot unexpectedly through me. I blinked uncomfortably and grimaced, looking up reflexively. I gasped, staggering back a step when I caught my reflection in the dark window. I froze, staring at the gold bits of light glowing in my eyes, the color so similar to Kris’. 
    “Kris!” I whispered, reaching up and sliding my fingertips over my cheek. I felt the rough bump of my scar under my fingers, then pressed my fingertips around the edge of my eye socket.
    “What’s wrong?” Kris asked, walking quickly into the kitchen. I turned, my eyes wide with shock, and Kris sighed softly. 
    “It’s the fire again. Don’t worry, it’ll fade soon.” Kris said reassuringly, running gentle fingertips underneath my chin and pressing a kiss to my nose. 
    “Ok.” I said, still shaken. Kris curled his hands around my shoulders and pulled me away from the window.
    “Come on, let’s go get ready for bed.” Kris suggested, kissing my cheek softly. I nodded, smiling softly at him.
    Kris turned off the lights and set the alarm while I went upstairs and put on my pajamas. I yawned softly and covered my mouth as I walked into the bathroom, turning on the light.
    I blinked again at my reflection in the mirror, staring at the tiny flecks of gold gleaming in my dark eyes. It was surreal and I waited for them to fade before turning on the faucet in front of me. I brushed my teeth, doing my best to ignore the familiar warmth of the dragonfire threading through my veins. I finished brushing my teeth and listened to Kris moving around in the bedroom, getting changed into sleeping clothes.
    I washed my face with cool water, trying to counteract the heat pooling in my stomach and chest. It spread up to my shoulders and biceps and I stuck my whole head under the faucet, sighing as the cold water ran over my scalp. 
    “What the hell are you doing?” Kris asked, pausing in the doorway with widened eyes.
    “I’m hot.” I said, water running into my mouth and making me cough. Kris sighed, walking over to hold his toothbrush under his sink and squeeze a stripe of toothpaste onto it. 
    “There’s a perfectly good shower not five feet away, and a giant bath tub not three feet away.” Kris said, pointing to the tub behind me.
    “But I was already at the sink.” I replied, turning the water off and rubbing at my hair with a hand towel. Kris scoffed and rolled his eyes, pulling a larger towel from the rack and tossing it over my head.
    “I thought I wouldn’t have to deal with menopause if I married a man.” Kris grumbled whilst looking skyward, rinsing his mouth and tapping his toothbrush against the rim of the sink.
    “You did this to me.” I grumbled back, toweling my hair off completely and sighing when I realized it was already dry.
    “And that’s usually what pregnant women say.” Kris broke in. I wheeled around and smacked his bicep, pulling off my wet tank top.
    “Shut up.” I said, tossing it into the laundry basket and fetching a dry one from my drawers.
    “Love you!” Kris called cheekily from the bathroom. I rolled my eyes but still smiled, tugging on the shirt and pulling off my long pants. 
    I walked over the window across from the bed, pulling it open and smiling as the fresh spring breeze washed over my face and neck. I turned, snuggling into bed and turning out my light. Kris walked over from the bathroom, looking at the window and and reaching out to close it.
    He settled down next to me and I stretched out on my back, tapping my fingers on the covers softly. I still craved fresh air and finally got up, pushing the window back up. Just as I laid down again, Kris popped up and closed the window. He got back in bed and I stood up, opening it. 
    Kris got up but I stayed right where I was, crossing my arms firmly. 
    “Oh no you don’t.” I said, guarding my open window. Kris also crossed his arms and squared up to me, raising an eyebrow.
    “It’s still cold at night.” Kris said, trying to reach past me to close the window. I smacked his hand away, shaking my head.
    “And I told you I’m hot.” I reminded him. 
    “And I told you I’m cold.” Kris said, matching me exactly. 
    “Go take a hot bath.” I suggested, knowing that we were both stubborn enough to end up standing here all night.
    “Go stick your head in the sink again.” Kris traded back. I sighed, trying to think of a compromise. 
    “Come here.” I said, holding my hand out for his. Kris pulled back with a suspicious look.
    “No.” Kris said, pouting slightly. I rolled my eyes and gave my hand a shake, nodding when he finally slipped his fingers into mine. 
    “Just as I expected.” I said, tugging him over to the bed.
    “What? What’d you expect?” Kris asked, still looking at me suspiciously as I sat down on my side.
    “Your skin is cold, mine is hot. We’ll balance each other out.” I said, snuggling down next to him with a smile.
    Kris chuckled, reaching out to curl his arms around me and pull me close. I was almost asleep when Kris’ voice vibrated through my back, making me smile wryly.
    “I notice you left the window open.” Kris said dryly. “I thought we balanced each other out.” 
    “I had to make sure.” I mumbled back. Kris pecked my ear softly, his breath stirring my hair as he sighed.
    “Love you, Peach.” Kris murmured.
    I rolled over with a smile, reaching out to squish Kris’ cheek softly and kiss his nose. 
    “I love you, too.” I grinned, landing a peck on his lips. Kris pushed my hand away, wrinkling his nose, and kissed my forehead.
    “Don’t play with my face.” Kris scolded, tucking me close to him and softening. I chuckled into his collarbones and kissed them softly, sighing.
    “Good night.” I said, closing my eyes. Kris pulled the covers up around my waist and I opened one eye, pushing them down towards my knees. “I’m hot.”
    “Tao! The window is open and you’re wearing a tank top! I’m cold!” Kris exclaimed. “Here, just close your eyes and focus on pushing the fire down.”
    “Oh now you have advice?” I said, still closing my eyes and trying to do as he said. 
    “Oh, shut up. Get some sleep.” Kris mumbled, sighing and stretching his legs slowly. I nodded, relaxing and falling asleep quickly. 

 

    “You’ve been a lot more cuddly recently.” Kris remarked off-handedly, his hand pausing in its path along my hair. I snuggled back into his chest, nuzzling the wrist of his other arm currently wrapped around my collarbones and holding me close. 
    “Yup. I like snuggles.” I said, raising my arm to change the tv station and look for another show to watch.
    “I was enjoying that!” Kris said loudly, trying to take the remote from me. I held it out of reach and leaned back into him so he couldn’t lunge towards it, making him sigh in frustration and give up. “Have you heard from Ryu recently?”
    “Yeah, he’s staying at Snake’s place until he shows up.” I said, looking down at the piles of dishes we had left on the coffee table from dinner.
    Kris lunged forward and snatched the remote from me, ignoring my frustrated grumbles and returning the tv to his original program. 
    “I’ll go wash up.” I said, grabbing the dishes. Kris followed me and took a wash cloth from the sink, walking to wipe down the dining room table.
    I was busy washing dishes from dinner when a loud thud came from the front door. I glanced back over my shoulder, found that Kris had disappeared from the dining room, and turned off the water. I wiped water droplets and soap bubbles onto my jeans, walking towards the front door quickly. 
    I took a moment to steady myself, made a promise with myself that if this was Liang I would close the door immediately, and decided to get a peephole in the future so people would stop surprising me.
    I pulled the front door open and stepped back as a man pitched forward weakly into the empty space, sprawling out in the entryway.
    “Ronin?!” I exclaimed, dropping to my knees beside him. He moaned softly and I rested a palm on his , hearing him gasp for breath as his chest moved rapidly under my fingertips.
    I touched his shoulder hesitantly and he yelled, my stomach turning sickeningly as I registered the pliable flesh of his crushed shoulder. I pulled my hand back and grasped him around the waist instead, hauling him to his feet.
    He swayed and raised his head slowly, leaning against me. My eyes widened at his swollen face and I had to wet my lips before asking, “What happened to you?”
    His only covering was a pair of black loose pants that cinched tight at his hips, his torso bare. Blood slicked his body and a bruising gash above his eye leaked crimson down onto his neck, purpling bruises appearing on his cheekbones. More bruises showed up faintly through his coat of blood, indigo bursts of color that commanded my attention.
    “I’m…fine.” Ronin coughed stubbornly, pushing at me. Despite his attempts to shove me away, his fingers were twisted tightly in my shirt and I knew he was using me to remain standing. I held firmly to him, refusing to relinquish my support, and tried to see where all the blood was coming from.
    “What are you doing here?” I asked, pulling him forward a few steps to close the front door. Ronin’s head tipped forward when he stumbled again and his movement revealed a deep slice on the juncture between his shoulder and neck. I slapped my free hand over the bubbling wound hurriedly, steadying him gently. 
    “Warn your dragon.” Ronin managed, his eyes fluttering. He coughed raggedly and a fine spray of red appeared on the wall in front of us, my worry growing.
    “Warn Kris about what? Who did this to you?” I asked, shaking him slightly when his eyes flickered. Broken lengths of chain dangled from Ronin’s ragged wrists and they jingled softly at his movement, blood dripping from the shiny metal to pool next to Ronin’s feet. 
    “My…my clan.” Ronin coughed again and his breath wheezed in his chest, his eyes fluttering again. Ronin slumped forward and I swore, bending down to drape him over my shoulders and carry him to the living room.    
    “Kris!” I yelled, spreading a blanket over the couch with my free hand. 
    I eased Ronin down and pressed my hand tighter to his neck, blood still sliding from under my fingers and running down my arm. 
    “Kris! Get your down here!” I snapped, needing an extra pair of hands.
    Kris came crashing down the stairs, pulling a pair of headphones down around his neck, and his ey

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter