Chapter 5

Endless Lies

 

 

 

"Yeah, so, I live with my grandma and- oh, that's the music class by the way. What was I saying? Oh yeah, so I live with my grandma and brother, but he's moving out soon since he's getting married. Oh hey we passed the art class, my bad! So yeah my brother is getting married, and can you believe he didn't pick me as his best man? I'm his brother! Oh you have P.E. last, you got lucky. So anyways..." he babbled on, but Jin was only half listening. Oh my god, he never shuts up.

"...and then she was all like 'aw, you're like my cute little brother'. Rejection at it's finest." He said and she hummed in response, not even knowing the whole story. 

"Oh look, we're here." He said walking into a classroom and motioning her to follow him. 

She walked towards the back of the class to sit down and he sat next to her. She noticed that all the people that walked in would greet him in and she wondered; was this school small? Or was he that popular? Following him around while keeping a low profile was going to be a lot more difficult than she expected. She also noticed a particular interaction between him and this girl in the front of the class that she found interesting, and made sure to remember her face as well. 

As the class was about to start, everyone started to quiet down, and yet he still wouldn’t stop talking. 

"So yeah I'm over her now. But then-" 

"Class is starting." She interrupted him, and he nodded disappointedly and turned towards the front of the class. Thank god. 

Just then the teacher came in and gave them an easy assignment for the day, which just so happened to be a partner project. Great. A partner project where you had to draw the person sitting next to you. Greaaaaaat

"I'm not very good at drawing. I shouldn't have signed up for this class. Then again, I need the credits. How about you? Are you any good?" He rambled on again and she bit her lip in frustration. 

"Umm, I guess I'm okay" She answered, picking up my pencil and sketch pad up and looking at him. She also forgot to mention that one of her hobbies was drawing, but he never asked, and really wasn’t something she was serious about, so she convinced herself she wasn’t really lying about this either. 

"... What?" He said shifting his gaze elsewhere. 

"I'm trying to draw you" She said, starting the drawing. 

"Oh, right." He said smiling, and picked up his paper and pencil. 

Even though she had memorized his face, she kept looking at him so as not to seem suspicious. Or, would it be less suspicious to look at him less? This was seriously too different for her. 

After a while, she noticed that he wasn’t drawing anymore, rather, he was looking and smiling towards the front of the class. Jin followed his line of sight and saw him interacting with that same girl from earlier. After taking a second look at her, she noticed that she looked older than him. He turned  back to look at Jin again, and noticed that she was starting at the both of them. His face grew red and he averted his eyes. 

“That’s Taeyeon.” He said, turning back towards her and smiling brightly. He was much quieter now. Taeyeon. That name rang a bell. She frowned, trying to remember. 

“You know,” he whispered, “The one who...rejected me.” 

“You mean,” She narrowed her eyes, “The girl that you said  you weren’t into anymore?” 

“Yup. That’s the one.” He laughed awkwardly. 

“...Right.” She muttered. 

“It’s true!”, He said, a little too loudly, “I’m totally over her.” 

“Whatever you say.” 

He was quiet for the next few minutes, and he seemed to be deep in thought. She was thankful for this, because now she was almost finished with the drawing. But he hadn't even touched his. 

Then suddenly he struck his hand out and snapped his fingers, which also knocked into Jin’s pencil and made a long pencil mark across the whole drawing. She looked at the drawing frowning, then back at him. He looked at the drawing of him and gasped. 

"I'm sorry! Here just, erase it..." He said reaching over, but she smacked his hand away.

"Don't touch it" She warned, and he pulled back his arm. 

She sighed, looking at her drawing. It was actually coming out pretty good. She grabbed an eraser to erase the whole thing with a frown on her face. 

"Sorry.." He muttered.

"Its fine" She said with a sigh. 

"Well... Can I ask you for a favor?" He asked cautiously. 

"Go ahead" She said, still not paying much attention. 

"Ummm.... This is kind of embarrassing. Can you help me with umm... With Taeyeon?" He asked hopefully, and Jin was about to say no, obviously, as she was not going to involve herself into his love life. Nope. Not what she signed up for. But then he pouted. And for some reason, she couldn't find herself to say no to him. 

"....how can I help?"