Chapter 24

Endless Lies

 

 

“You don’t believe me.” Jin said, walking up to Baekhyun’s front door and holding onto Yujin. She had fallen asleep in her arms, and was resting her head on Jin’s shoulder. Baekhyun was quiet for a minute. 

 

“No,” He said finally, “ I don’t.” 

 

“Why?” She asked. She could feel her hands shaking and tried her best not to let him see that. 

 

“This has got to be one of your worst lies.” He said, laughing a bit, but not sounding amused at all. 

 

“What do you mean?” She asked, getting even more anxious. She pressed her hands firmly against Yujin to try and stop them from shaking, but at this point, she could feel her whole body shaking. Lies? As in, he’s aware she’s lied to him before? She really blew it. 

 

“You lie to me all the time, Jin.” He said. She froze. 

 

“That’s not true.” She said, trying to hide the way her voice was starting to waver as well. 

 

“Yes it is,” he scoffed, “And you know what? That’s fine. I know you’ve gone through a lot, and I don’t want to rush you, or pressure you into anything. But, sometimes...” he trailed off, looking away from her. Jin’s breathing has picked up. 

 

“Sometimes?” 

 

“Well, sometimes, it kinda hurts. Don’t you trust me? At all?” He said, still not looking at her. She tried to reach out, but had to keep both hands on Yujin. 

 

“Of course I do.” She breathed out, not knowing what else to say, or do. She wanted to tell him everything, but knew she couldn’t. 

 

“It doesn’t seem like it.” He said quietly, frowning. 

 

“Baek,” She started, and he looked up at her, “I’m telling the truth.” 

 

He sighed, and gazed at her face, eyes roaming over all her features as if searching for something. He walked closer to her and reached out. He tucked some strands of her hair behind her ear, and then gently traced the side of her face. Jin didn’t move. Finally, he pulled his hand away, and stepped back. 

 

“No, you’re not.” He said, opening the door and slamming it shut behind him. After a few minutes, Jin started walking back home, her eyes stinging. 

 

•••••••••

 

Jin sat with Yujin in the living room, both cross-legged on the floor. For want of something to and distract herself with, Jin had offered to braid her hair, before realizing that she didn’t know how to braid hair, so she looked up a tutorial online and followed it closely. On her fourth attempt at a braid, she noticed something interesting. 

 

“How’d you get this scar, Yujin?” She asked, running her fingers softly over a small mark at the back of her scalp. When she pushed her hair to the side, she saw a small pink line. She ran her thumb across it again, smiling faintly at the way Yujin laughed and cringed from being tickled, and studied it closely. She found it interesting how it was a perfectly straight line. 

 

“What scar?” She asked, looking up at her. Jin grabbed onto one of her small hands and directed it towards the small scar on the back of her head. She felt it with her fingers, then pulled away, frowning and looking up at her, “I don’t know.” 

 

“You don’t know?” Jin asked, frowning, turning her attention back on it again. She scratched the back of her head subconsciously. She figured it was probably just a birthmark, and decided that she would just ask later. Upon making this decision, however, she felt something against the back of her own head. She ran her fingers over it slowly, and felt a small straight line as well. 

 

Just then, Jin’s phone lit up with a message, and dismissing it as a coincidence, she diverted her attention to her phone. It was a message from Baekhyun. She bit her lip and braced herself. 

 

I’m sorry. Can we talk? 

 

She stared at the message for a few minutes. 

 

“Jin?” Yujin asked, looking up at her through her messed up her hair. 

 

“Yeah?” She replied, looking at her briefly before looking back down to her phone. 

 

“Is it your boyfriend?” She asked, a small smile playing on her lips. 

 

“My- what? No he’s...” she stopped. She still wasn’t really sure what they were. Especially not after they... yeah. And he obviously liked her if he... yeah. And they clearly weren’t just friends if they both... yeah. Yeah. That. 

 

“Yeah, it’s my boyfriend.” She stated firmly. That felt weird to say. Boyfriend. She supposed Daehyun was her boyfriend for that weird moment they had. But they were mostly just testing the waters, and it hadn’t worked out. So, technically, Baekhyun was her first boyfriend. Although he was a fake one. 

 

It would be so easy. They already acted like a couple. They already felt like a couple. They already had feelings for each other. They just had to say it. She took a deep breath and sent back a quick message saying that they could. But she hadn’t expected him to call her right away. 

 

Her eyes widened and she extended her hand out so as to be far away from her phone. She stood up and and stared at her phone. When she saw Yujin laugh at her, she realized she was being ridiculous, and sat back down. Reassuring herself that they shared mutual feelings, she calmed herself down, and answered the call. 

 

“Hey,” She said, smiling. She hoped that they were thinking the same thing, and that was why he had called. 

 

“Hey,” He breathed out. He didn’t say anything else. Jin laughed a bit. 

 

“Are you-“ She started, but he interrupted her.

 

“We should break up.” 

 

•••••• 

 

She doesn’t really remember what she had said after that, she just remembers dumbly agreeing to it and then hanging up quick after that. 

 

She wasn’t really sad or angry about it. Just... shocked. And confused. She was so sure he liked her back. They also weren’t really dating, so that just seemed a bit dramatic. That was the only thing on her mind while she braided Yujins hair, until her fingers ran over the scar again. 

 

Her mother came to pick her up soon after that, bandaged up and in a hurry. She cane and went to soon for her to ask any questions, but Taehyung has arrived at the same time that she left. 

 

“Hey,” He said, walking in through the already open door, “I wanted to apologize for how I acted earlier.” 

 

“It’s fine.” She said, cleaning up after the mess she and Yujin had made. It really wasn’t too bad, she just wanted to get her mind off of...other things 

 

“I also need to talk to you about something.” He said. 

 

“Okay.” She said, picking up some things in the living room. 

 

“Are you listening?” He spoke up, frowning. 

 

“Yeah, I am.” She said, putting away her music books. 

 

“No you’re not.” He said, walking up to her and grabbing her arms. She looked up at him in surprise. 

 

“What?” She said. 

 

“I’m trying to talk to you.” He said, shaking her lightly. 

 

“Okay?” She said, started to get a little worried. He pressed his lips together and stared at her. 

 

“I like you.” 

 

Minutes passed by. Or maybe seconds. Or maybe hours. She couldn’t tell. She didn’t say anything. He didn’t say anything. The room was dead silent, until she finally spoke. 

 

“You what?” She said, almost wanting to laugh, but then deciding not to upon seeing his serious face. 

 

“I like you,” He said again, his face getting redder by the minute, “I don’t like seeing you around other guys. I’m happiest when I’m spending time with you. All I can ever think about is you. I thought I was just an overprotective friend, and I kept trying to deny it. I don’t know why it took me so long to realize, but it’s true. I like you.” 

 

“No, you- you’re confused.” Jin said, shaking her head. As selfish as it sounded, this was the last thing she needed right now. 

 

“So I’m guessing you don’t feel the same.” He laughed out, and she looked up at him even more confused. 

 

“Are you serious right now?” She said, still in disbelief, “I mean, you’re not joking?” 

 

“No, I’m not. I’ve thought about it a lot. I’ve made up my mind. You don’t need to say anything, I just wanted you to know.” 

 

“Tae...” Jin said, reaching up and threading her fingers through his hair. She tried to think of something to say, but was distracted by the straight small scar on the back of his head. She paused, her hand still in his hair. 

 

“What?” He said quietly, staring down at her. 

 

“Have you always had this?” She asked, running her thumb over the scar several times, to make sure she wasn’t making things up. 

 

“Always has what...?” He asked, confused, and reached up. He felt his scar too and shrugged. 

 

“I mean, I get hurt all the time...” He trailed off, frowning at her. She grabbed her hand and lifted it up to where her scar was.

 

“You feel that?” She asked, eyes wide and expectant. His frown deepened. 

 

“Your hair?” 

 

“My scar!” She exclaimed, “we have the same scar! And so does Yujin, isn’t that weird?” She asked. He stared at her. 

 

“Okay, so I see my confession made you feel weird. I get that. But you don’t have to-“ 

 

“No, no! This doesn’t have to do with that!” She said. He started to back up, all the while frowning at her. 

 

“Really? This seems like a sad attempt to avoid what I said.” He scoffed, stuffing his hands in his pockets 

 

“What are talking about? I’m not avoiding anything! I think something weird is going on here!” She said, reaching out to him. 

 

“I’m sorry for making you feel so uncomfortable.” He said, pulling away from her and slamming the door behind him. Jin stood there in shock. 

 

She thought for a second how silly it seemed that he slammed the door on her but he was outside and she was inside. She also thought about how dramatic that was. And how crazy her day had been. And how hurt she felt right now.