Chapter 16

Endless Lies
 
 
 
 
"Baek!" Jin yelled, running towards him. Both of their hands were outstretched, fingers interlacing once she finally caught up to him.
 
It had been three months since the incident, and she found herself relying on him more as time passed. They got along really well now, which made it a lot easier to pretend to be a couple. 
 
The school already knew that Baekhyun and Jin were a couple, easily becoming one of their favorite couples, too. To be honest, it was kinda fun. Spending so much time with him was fun, after school and on the weekends. Even just being in his presence was enjoyable, calming even. 
 
She knew being around him was helping her cope with Youngjae's death. She had started eating again, and talking to her partners. She wasn't sure if she was helping him get over Taeyeon, but he seemed to be having fun too, so she didn't let it bother her that much. 
 
They walked down the hallway towards his classroom. Today they didn't have any classes together, sadly. As they were walking, she noticed all the Christians decorations. 
 
"It's almost Christmas." She mumbled absentmindedly. 
 
"Oh yeah, I almost forgot." He said. “Time really flies, huh?” 
“Yea,” She said quietly, “It does.” She wondered if she should be worried that he kept her so distracted, and then shook the thought away with a single confirmation ;he’s  her mission, he’s supposed to take up all her attention. That saddened her a bit, so she quickly thought of something else. 
 
They made it to his classroom, stopping in the doorway. A few giggles came from around the classroom, but they ignored them. 
 
"I'll see you during lunch?" He asked, swinging their hands. Skinship drove their classmates crazy. They laughed together silently as they noticed everyone’s fixed attention on them. 
 
"Why do you even ask?" She grinned. 
 
"Hey, look! They're under the mistletoe!" Someone yelled excitedly, and they both looked up. Sure enough, there was mistletoe hanging from the door. She was about to protest, but he had already lent down and planted a soft kiss on her cheek. Everyone erupted into excited cheers, and she felt her cheeks heat up. 
 
"I'll see you later, then." He smiled and let go of her hand. She nodded and walked away briskly, trying not to think about how soft his lips felt. 
 
•••••
 
 
"Here, I bought you a sandwich." Baekhyun said, tossing it to her. 
 
"Thanks." She said, catching it. He took a seat next to Jin and handed her a bottle of water. 
 
"I think Taeyeon was trying to get my attention again today." He said. 
 
"Resist, Baek. Don't pay attention to her." She took a bite out of her sandwich. 
 
"I know, I know. Just thought I'd share. How's your day been?" 
 
"Honestly, pretty boring." 
 
"Cause I'm not there." He smiled. She rolled her eyes. 
 
"Shut up."
 
"Hey, I'm having a Christmas party on Saturday, you should come." He said, drinking some of his water. 
 
"Saturday? Isn't that a little too early?" She frowned. 
 
"Christmas is next week." He said. 
 
"Already? Damn, that was quick,” she thought about it for a moment, “Sure I'll go." She said. 
 
"Cool." 
 
At that moment her phone started ringing. She pulled it out and answered the call. 
 
"Hello?" 
 
"Jin," Taehyung called,"everyone's being a d*ck  today, take me away." He whined. 
 
"What are you talking about it? Who's being a d*ck ?" She asked, Baekhyun laughed at the word and she nudged him, hastily telling him to grow up before focusing on Taehyung again. 
 
"Everyone. I was just minding my own business and-" 
 
"Don't try and look all innocent here-" Jungkook yelled before Taehyung cut him off.
 
"Shut up, you ing fetus-"
 
"Guys, what happened?" 
 
"We were just saying that he should learn how to cook-" Jungkook started. 
 
"Why? Just let Seokjin cook." She said. 
 
"That's what I said!" Taehyung exclaimed. 
 
"Hey, why are we talking to you anyways? You can't cook for sh*t either." Jungkook said. 
 
"Well you too,"I said,"I'll pick you up later, Tae. They are being today." She hung up the phone. 
 
"You can't cook?" Baekhyun asked, a teasing smile on his lips. She shook her head and frowned.
 
"I can teach you sometime, if you want." 
 
"Not a good idea. Seokjin tried to teach me once and I almost burned the house down." She said. He laughed. 
 
"Hey, you should bring Taehyung too." He said. 
 
"To the party?" She asked, he nodded. 
 
"Why?" 
 
"So you'll have someone to kiss you under the mistletoe." He smirked. She suddenly remembered what happened earlier that day and blushed. 
 
"Shut up, we're not like that, I've told you." She said, looking down. 
 
"Aww, you're blushing." He pinched one of her cheeks, She smacked his hand away. He laughed and she found herself staring again, but she quickly turned away. That had become a new habit of hers; staring at him when he laughed. He had a dazzling smile and such a nice laugh, and honstely she found it really comforting. But she knew that that was a dangerous feeling, so she tried to ignore it as best as she could. 
 
"Shut up." She muttered. Honestly, she didn’t really want to bring Taehyung. He was still her best friend, but he had been acting weird lately, and it was starting to annoy her. But Baekhyun insisted, so she agreed anyway. 
 
••••• 
 
She walked out into the school parking lot, and stopped in her tracks to see Taehyung there already waiting. 
 
"What're you doing here?" She asked. 
 
"I couldn't wait anymore, so I left." He shrugged. 
 
"Okay, let's go." She laughed, walking up to her car, which he was currently leaning on. 
 
"Hey, Jin." Someone said in cheerful voice. She turned around and saw Taeyeon walking up to them.  
 
"Baek isn't here." She said, turning around. 
 
"I wasn't looking for him," she laughed,"I came to talk to you." 
 
"Ugh, why? I have somewhere to be." She crossed her arms, Taehyung stared at her in surprise. 
 
"I needed help on our music class assignment." She said. Jin frowned. 
 
"What-" 
 
"Hello, I'm guessing your Taehyung." She turned her attention to him. He jumped and looked at her in shock. 
 
"Uh, yeah." He smiled.
 
"Are you her boyfriend?" She asked innocently, Taehyung's face turned bright red. 
 
"No, I'm dating Baekhyun, remember?" Jin said.  She turned to me with a fake smile. 
 
"Really? I didn't notice." 
 
"That's weird cause, the whole school knows." She said.
 
"Jin, we should probably go." Taehyung said quietly, looking at Taeyeon who was staring intently at him.  She waved and batted her eyelashes, and the realization of what she was trying to do hit her. She was trying to steal Taehyung from her.  I scoffed. 
 
"Well, sorry. Can't really help you on that assignment since it doesn't, well, exist. C'mon, Tae, let's go." Jin turned back around but she spoke up again. 
 
"Mind if I tag along?" Taehyung and his good-natured self was probably going to say something like ,"not at all", but she stopped him. 
 
"Yeah, actually, I do." Jin got into the car and motioned for him to do the same. 
 
"It was nice meeting you..." He said, and she answered. 
 
"Taeyeon. We've met before." She grinned. 
 
"Taeyeon." He smiled and nodded. 
 
"What was that all about?" He asked once we were both in the car. 
 
"What was what all about?"
 
"You were so rude to her."
 
"That's because she's a two faced b*tch." 
 
"Jin-"
 
"Look, Tae, you don't even know her. Wait, you've seen her before, she said you were cute." She said in disgust. 
 
"Really? You think she's into me?" He looked back at the school. 
 
"No, she's into Baekhyun, that's why she hates me. And now she's trying to get to you. Don't let her get to you. She's had Baek under her clutches for so long. Hey where do you want to go?" She stopped at a red light and turned to him. 
 
"What is everyone into him? And Did you just call him Baek?" He asked. 
 
"Well, he's quite popular." She said. He turned to her and frowned. 
 
"Don't tell me you’re jealous again. I already told you, no one can replace you, you're my best friend." She sighed. 
 
“Doesn't really seem that way anymore. All you do is hang out with him." He said. 
 
"I'm hanging out with you right now."
 
"After Youngjae..." He said, looking at her carefully before continuing. 
 
"You wouldn't talk to anyone. I came to you, and you wouldn't talk to me. But then suddenly he comes along and your fine to talk to him. You go out to eat with him! Are we really as close as we used to be? We barely even talk anymore." He crossed his arms. 
 
"Tae, I'm sorry. He's just... He gets me." 
 
"And I don't?" 
 
"That's not what I meant." She said, pulling up outside an ice cream shop, since he hadn't chosen anything.  Somehow, they always ended up eating ice cream. 
 
"Then what do you mean?" 
 
"Look, I'm sorry. But I promise you, no one will ever replace you. Okay?" She said, stretching her arms out. He still looked mad, but he stood up and hugged her anyways. 
 
"Aw, what a cute couple." Someone cooed. They both pulled away quickly, their faces turning red. 
 
"So, how about that ice cream?" 
 
"Ice cream sounds great.” 
 
While they were waiting in line, he suddenly said, “You know he’s not Youngjae right?” 
 
She looked at him shocked, not knowing what to say. She finally muttered, “Yeah, I know.” She didn’t make eye contact with him, and she’s didn’t say anything else. 
 
•••••
 
They rode back home in silence, eating their ice cream. His sudden confrontation earlier had honestly rendered her speechless, and she needed some time to think about it. She pulled up in front of his house and got out, with a sweater in hand(it belonged to Hoseok and she was returning it). 
 
They stood in front of the door waiting. She suddenly remembered Baek’s party, and figured now was as good a time as ever. 
 
"Hey, I'm going to this party tomorrow. You should come." She turned to him.
 
"Will Baekhyun be there?" 
 
"Yeah, pretty much the whole school is gonna be there." She said. 
 
"I'll see what I can do." He said, his Ice cream. The door opened and Jungkook stood there, smiling. 
 
"Could you give this back to Hoseok?" She handed him the sweater. 
 
"Sure thing." He said, backing up a little as Taehyung started to go in. 
 
"Bye, Jin." He smiled, spreading his arms out expectantly. She stepped up and spread her own arms out to hug him, but Jungkook had come and smashed their faces together. Her lips pressed against his messily for a brief moment before Jungkook let go and they both pulled away. 
 
"What the hell, Jungkook!" She said, feeling her face burning up. She looked at Taehyung warily. Frowning, he backed up, avoiding her eyes, and walked away. Jungkook was laughing ecstatically. She raised her fist and started walking towards him, but he slammed the door. 
 
She stood there with her fist raised for a few seconds, face red and heart pounding. Eventually, she walked away and got into her car. She drove back home and tried not to think about what just happened. How the hell was she supposed to face him now? 
 
•••••
 
 
It was finally Friday, last day before winter break and a day before the big party. Apparently everyone was going, even Taeyeon(sadly). 
 
It was the last period of the day, which for her was gym. They were playing volleyball, boys against girls, and they were currently tied. The only ones really playing were Tao and Jin,  with a few plays by other random people. 
 
She was starting to get a little pissed off since most of the girls would just stand around in little groups and move away when the ball came their way. 
 
"Dammit." She exclaimed, startling a few others, when the ball went straight over her and bounced off the floor when the girls moved away. She groaned, realizing the other side just got another point. When Tao got ready to serve again, she got into position. When the ball was over the net she ran towards it and hit it as hard as she could, which ended up being too hard. It soared over the net and the other team all the way to the other side of the gym and got stuck in one of the basketball hoops. 
 
"Oops." She said sheepishly. Everyone laughed and a few people from both sides ran over to try and get the ball. She looked around at the other girls. She noticed two of the ones who actually tried playing today, and walked over. 
 
"You think he noticed me?" The shorter one asked, and the other shrugged. She looked over to see who they were looking at, and her eyes landed on Taewoon. 
 
"No way, you like Taewoon?" She asked her excitedly. She turned pink. 
 
"W-what? No-" 
 
"It's ok! I won't tell, but I can talk to him for you. If you want." 
 
"Really?" She asked, her eyes brightened up a bit. 
 
"Sure." Jin smiled. It was about time he got a girlfriend. 
 
"Thanks!" 
 
"No problem, only, what's your name?" 
 
"Oh, it's yeri." She smiled. 
 
"Alright yeri, I'll give him a word for you." The people had managed to get the ball back and started making their way back. 
 
By the time they had gotten back with the ball, the bell  had rung, and everyone started walking towards the locker rooms. She suddenly remembered something and made her way towards yeri again. 
 
"Hey, yeri,"I called,"you going to the party tomorrow?" 
 
"Baekhyun's?" She asked, and Jin nodded. 
 
"I might stop by, why?" 
 
"Well, I'm pretty sure Taewoon is gonna be there." Jin grinned, and she smiled. 
 
"Then I'll be there." 
 
"See you guys tomorrow then." She waved, they waved back. She made my way back to the locker rooms. Tomorrow was going to be interesting. 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
 
Another chapter!!! Lol I was supposed to write and upload this like a loooooooong time ago, like, when it was actually Christmas time. But, it is what it is. 
Hope you like it !! •◡•