Chapter 2

Endless Lies

5 years later

 

"I'm not doing this" Jin said warily as she looked down at the streets below.

After the accident, she developed a small fear of heights and it didn't help that a lot of their missions delt with jumping off building rooftops that were hundreds of feet in the air.

"There's got to be some stairs around here"

"You're gonna chicken out again? Typical"

"Shut up, I wasn't talking to you"

"b*tch"

"Do you want to die that much?"

She walked up to Namjoon and grabbed a fistful of his hair, rocking him back and forth. She was just about to slam his face into the railing when Taehyung came in between them and pulled her away.

"Jin, they'll kill us if we stay here any longer." He said while putting on a harness and then proceeding to put hers on.

"Well what if we plummet to our death?" She asked, still trying to convince him.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her over to the railing.

"Nothing will happen, it's not even that high this time," he said looking down,"You can trust me, right?" He asked with an encouraging smile. She wasn't about to give in.

"Get a room" She was just about to turn around and tell Namjoon to shut up again, but before she could say anything she felt a harsh kick and her back and ended up tumbling over the railing.

A wave of nausea hit her and she squeezed her eyes shut in hopes that it would calm her down. It didn’t. She was just about let out a scream, but had firmly landed before she got the chance. She frantically unstrapped the harness with shaky fingers and uneven breaths which slowly came back to normal.

Less than a second later the rest of the group landed around her calmly and took their harnesses off.

"See, that wasn't that bad! You didn't even scream this time!" Taehyung said with a big smile but she just stared at him blankly.

"It was terrible" She said miserably, glaring at Namjoon. He just rolled his eyes and walked ahead without sparing another glance.

"It wasn't that bad." he said while draping an arm over her shoulder, a normal gesture he's always done with her. (She noticed soon after they met, that Taehyung was obsessed with skinship.) 

But nowadays it seemed more like he was keeping her away from Namjoon. It bothered her; they always took his side. She just knew the little bastard hated her just as much as she  did. She wasn't just someone he occasionally teased; he practically lived for making her life miserable.

She didn't care if he was their leader, she wasn't going to sit around and let him treat her like sh*t.

"You should come over today" Taehyung suddenly suggested, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"I don't see why not" She said, not really thinking much about it. She went almost everyday anyway. 

They were just about to pass by her place when Jae Hee came running out.

"Jin!" She called "New mission, right now" she said, ushering her into the house.

Before she got inside she turned around and waved at Taehyung, then Jae Hee slammed the door shut behind her.

"Why are you so nervous?" She asked, somewhat worried as she looked at the already opened packet with furrowed brows.

"I don't know, it's weird" she said, still looking at it. Jin  was starting to grow impatient.

She picked up the package and took out the forms. Each form had a picture and information on each person. She wasn't really interested in any of their information. She just made sure to remember each one of their faces.

After she  finished with all the forms, she looked for another one to know what they had to do with it. But there wasn't one, so she looked up at Jae Hee, and she still had a worried look on her face.

"That's it?" Jin asked. JaeHee nodded.

"Then why are you so worried?"

"What if we have to kill them? None of them have even graduated yet, it doesn't look like they did anything wrong either" she said, not breaking away from the table.

"Then we’ll just go to whoever sent these"Jin said calmly and made her way out the door.

She grabbed the package and motioned for Jae Hee to follow. Jin grabbed the keys from the counter and walked out.

They both got in the car and after closing the doors Jin turned it on. She pulled out of the driveway, took the empty package and read the address, then drove off. Jae Hee kept reading the forms over and over again.

They ended up in front of large house on the wealthier part of town. Jin got out of the car and Jae Hee followed her up the steps. She rang the doorbell and waited for someone to answer. A couple minutes later, a man opened the door. He was dressed in a suit and tie, and Jin noticed he also wore an ear piece. 

"Can I help you?" He asked, confused.

"Were you the one who sent these?" Jin showed him the package. His hand reached out but she pulled it back.

"Did you send it or not?" She questioned again.

"Let them in." Another voice said, familiar, but she couldn't really remember at the moment.

The man opened the door wider to let them in and they both walked past him and further into the house. He stared at them as they went. 

"Over here, girls" the same voice called for them. They walked towards the voice and then came face-to-face with the person. They both immediately bowed. It was Mrs. Byun, the head of their company.

"Hello, Mrs. Byun." They said at the same time, then stood back up.

"Take a seat" she said, and they both obeyed. Jin streched her arm out and gave her the packet.

"We weren't sure why-" Jin started. 

"You're not meant to kill them, if that's what you were thinking" she interrupted her; Jin heard Jae Hee let out a sigh of relief.

"Then what-"

"I want you to protect them" she interrupted her again.

"Protect them?" She asked unsurely.

"Yes" she assured; she and JaeHee exchanged glances.

"Mrs. Byun," she spoke up,"We don't protect people, we kill. I don't think-"

"It will just be during school hours. Since we are trying to stay hidden, we can't really have men following them around everywhere. And you’re his age,  so it would be best if you could do it. We don't know why, but these boys are being targeted. And if you take this up, you can't let them know anything. These boys, they mean a lot to me, and I want them to feel safe." She broke off and looked down at her hands. Jin could tell she wanted to cry.

Without thinking twice or consulting with Jae Hee, She spoke up;

"We'll do it" Jin said, taking the packet from her hands.

Jae Hee looked up at her incredulously. Jin reached out for Mrs. Byun's hand, but settled on putting her hand on her shoulder instead.

"Don't worry, we'll protect them, but-" She  started to say but she looked up with a big grin on her face and interrupted her, again.

"Great! I'll take care of everything else. Thank you so much, girls!" She exclaimed, and hurried us out, “My grandson will be here soon, so you girls better get going.” 

Jae Hee continued to stare at Jin, so she  just grabbed her wrist and dragged her out of the house.

"What were you thinking?! You heard what I said! We don't protect, we kill"

"I don't know.... I didn't want to see her cry..." Jin  replied uncomfortably while making her way back to the car.

The drive back home was really quiet. And Jin hated it. She could tell JaeHee was really mad at me, but she didn’t see why. How hard could it really be? Besides, she wasn't in high school anymore, so she probably wouldn't have to do much.

Jin parked infront of the house and they both walked back in the house without saying any words to each other.

JaeHee walked up the stairs and into her room. She slammed the door and the impact echoed throughout the house. Jin sighed and sat down on the living room couch.

"What'd you do this time?" She heard Tae Woon say. She turned her head to look at him and answered;"I agreed to a mission she didn't want to do"

"What was the mission?" He asked frowning.

"Well," She sighed,"Starting tomorrow, we’re protecting 12 high school students"

"We?" He asked, looking at her weirdly. "Jin, I'm not taking care of anybody"

"You have to" I said getting up and walking up the stairs and into my own room, not wanting to deal with... people anymore.