Chapter 4

Endless Lies
 
 
 
 

 

 

Jin sat in between Jihoo and Sunmi, looking down and grabbing unto the bench while swinging her legs back and forth, similar to a little kid who’s been out in time out. (She supposes, in a way, she is being punished.) When they had gotten there, they had all stopped doing... Whatever it was they were doing... And waved them over. They all sat here now not knowing what to do or say. 

Apparently, Mrs. Byun had told them that they were family friends and new there, and told them to help them out and make them feel welcome. Jin didn't like the idea of lying to them, but did as she was told. 

And now they were all sitting down and staring at each of them. Then, the only one standing, cleared his throat to get everyone’s attention. 

"So, um, where are you guys from?" He asked, rubbing the back of his neck. 

"Same town, just from a different school." Jihoo spoke up. 

"Oh, well, how do you guys like it so far?"

"We just got here." Jin said blankly, then groaned internally. The goal here was to get acquainted so it wouldn't be weird to be around him all the time. 

"Sorry, she's not a people person." Jihoo spoke up again, smiling apologetically. 

"Well, I don't want to spoil the fun..." Jin started, and everyone turned to her. Clearly they weren't having any fun. 

"Yeah, I'll just go." She stood up and walked to a bench further away. She took a book out to read until classes started. 

"Hey." She looked up at the boy who was now in front of her. (She really needed to learn his name.) 

"Hi." She said, looking back down at her book, but he spoke up again. 

"I'm Baekhyun, by the way. And I'm sorry if we made you feel uncomfortable." He smiled. Baekhyun

"No, it's fine. I'm just not good with people. I'm Jin." She smiled back. 

"What are you reading?" He asked, taking a seat in front of me. 

"Oh, um, it's this book about, uh, Wizards." She said, smiling sheepishly. 

"Oh, Harry Potter?" He asked, grinning. 

"Yeah, heard of it?" 

"Duh! I love that series." He said. 

"Me too." 

"Is this your first time reading it?" 

"It's actually my third time reading it." She grinned. 

"I just finished reading the series for the third time not that long ago." He nodded. The Harry Potter craze was now over, and an awkward silence fell over the both of us.

"So, you must be pretty talented to have gotten in during the middle of the school year." She frowned, and then remembered what JaeHee had told her about this school. You had to audition to get in, and only the best were accepted. 

"Oh, um, yeah I guess." She said nervously. She had to think of something on the spot, since she had forgotten what her talent was supposed to be. 

"What's your talent?" He asked curiously. Sh*t

"Music." She said, the first thing that came to mind. 

"Oh, really? What instruments do you play?" 

"I play the piano." She said. At least that wasn't a lie. 

"Oh, wow. You must have been amazing." He said. She could feel her face heat up a little. (She wasn’t very good with compliments either). Lying definitely wasn't her specialty. 

"I doubt it." 

"I'm sure you're just being modest." He smiled. 

He opened his mouth to say something else, but right at that moment the school bells rang and he got up instead. 

"Let me see you schedule." He said, putting his hand out. 

She rummaged through her bag hurriedly for the schedule. When she found it she handed it to him and he looked at it carefully. 

"Let me show you to your first class." He says smiling, beckoning her to follow him.

He was being nice and all, but at this point she just wanted to go home.