Chapter 9

Endless Lies

 

 

"Jaehee! We're home!" Jin yelled from the door. She walked inside towards the living room, pulling on baekhyun's sleeve. She saw Jaehee walking towards them from the kitchen. 

"Hey, guess what? I had school food, and I'm alive!" She said, spreading her arms out and smiling. She grabbed her arms and spun her around, checking to see if something was wrong. 

She walked back into the kitchen and brought back two packets. 

"Here," she said handing her one of them,"it fully explains our current mission." She eyed baekhyun, who bowed his head, and walked back into the kitchen. 

"What's the other one for?" Jin asked. 

"A mission. For Jihoo and me." She said, and Jihoo walked into the kitchen after her. 

Sunmi and Taewoon walked upstairs and into their rooms. Jin sat down next to baekhyun on the couch and looked at him. 

"Now what?" He asked, hugging his backpack. 

"Homework. That's what we're here for, right?" She said, picking up her backpack. 

"Wait," he took his phone out and raised it up,"let's take a picture so I can post it. Then taeyeon will see." He said, smirking. 

"Smile." He said, scooting closer to her and smiling brightly. She offered a small smile, and he took a picture quickly. He then moved away and began tapping away at his phone. 

"Okay, done. So for our project..." 

We started working on the project that was assigned today, and she was a little surprised. He seemed really focused, nothing like the baekhyun who wouldn't stop talking in class. We were about halfway done when he spoke up. She really didn’t know him at all. 

"So, you guys are all siblings?" He asked, still writing down on his paper. 

"No," She said, putting her pencil down,"we're not related." She put her part of the project on the table and waited for him to finish. 

"Why don't you live with your parents?" He asked, putting his work down and looking at her. 

"They've been.... Gone, for a while." She said, looking away from him. 

"Gone where?" 

"They're just... Busy. I guess." She said, shifting uncomfortably. 

"Hey, why don't you finish the drawing of me?" She asked him, before he could ask any more questions. 

"Oh, sure." He said, picking up a different sheet of paper and starting his drawing. He started taking out his things and she stared at him, deep in thought. This was probably a good time to get to know him better. Everything that day went by so fast that she hadn’t really gotten the chance to. But where to start? She had no idea what to ask. 

While he was drawing, Taehyung had sent her a message. She opened the message to see what he wanted. 

 Taehyung: hi 

Jin: what do you want?

Taehyung: harsh:(

Taehyung: what are you doing?

Jin: homework

Taehyung: boooring. Let's go do something

Jin: when I finish my homework. 

Taehyung: can I come over?

Jin: I guess so.

Taehyung: ok coming(^∇^)

"Finished! What do you think?" Baekhyun shoved the picture in her face and she took a good look. 

"It's... Good." She said, not really knowing what to say. 

"You're lying." 

"No, really. It's fine." She said, pressing her lips in a tight line to stop herself from laughing. It looked like  a child had drawn it. 

"Tell me the truth!" He said frowning. 

"It's.... Cute. A for effort?” 

"Let me see yours." He said ing his hand out. She took her drawing out and placed it in his hand. He looked at it with widened eyes. 

"....you drew these?" He asked, his eyes never leaving the paper, and she nodded. After a few seconds he frowned again. 

"They're okay." He said giving it back to her. 

“Hey, can I ask you something?” She asked tentatively, he looked at her and tilted his head to the side. 

“Sure.” 

“Honestly, I don’t really know what to say, I just want to get to know you better. You know, with everything that’s going on and all...” She started, he smiled and nodded. 

“Ask away.” He said. 

“Well, for starters,” I sat back and crossed my arms, “Why weren’t you happy to find out that Taeyeon liked you back? I thought you really liked her?” He sighed. 

“I don’t know... it’s complicated,” he rubbed the back of his neck, “I guess that’s just not how I wanted it to go down? I’ve like her for so long, and I had a feeling she like some too, but she just- I don’t know.” He paused and looked at the ground. She waited patiently. 

“It just feels like she’s using me. Or likes to have me around to make her feel better, or wanted. I’ve been getting this feeling for a while now, but didn’t want to believe it. Today kind of proved that.” 

That was a much more serious answer then she had expected. She didn’t really know what to say to that. 

“Okay, okay, I see,” she nodded her head, “And what did you even see in her in the first place?” She braces herself, wondering if that question was crossing the line. He laughed. 

“I can see why you don’t like her,” He smiled at her, “She wasn’t always... like that. But I can’t really control how I feel, you know? I can’t help it. And I mean, she’s always been a good friend to me,” He smiled fondly, “if you knows her like I did, you’d understand.” 

So he could be this serious too, huh? She was a bit surprised. 

"I'm heeeeeere!" Taehyung barged through the door and slammed it behind him before she got the chance to ask another question. 

"That was fast." She said, but he wasn't looking at her. He was staring at baekhyun, his eyes narrowed. 

"What are you doing here?" He said, walking towards her slowly. 

"Homework?" Said baekhyun, raising the project they were just working on. 

"You didn't tell me he was going to be here." He said, looking at her now. 

"I didn't think it mattered." She said, starting to put her things away. He grabbed her arm and pulled her up. 

"Hey, I need to talk to you." He said, turning serious. 

"Baekhyun, can you take my things to my room? It's-" 

"He knows where your room is?" Taehyungs hand tightened around her arm. 

"I was just about to tell him." She said, pulling her arm out of his grasp. 

"Up the stairs, first room to your left." She told baekhyun. Taehyung pulled her outside and closed the door behind him. 

"What was that about?" She asked, pulling her arm away from him again. 

“Sometimes I just feel threatened.” He said. 

“Threatened?” She asked, confused. 

“That someone’s going to steal my best friend.” He said.  

“Seriously?” I rolled my eyes.  

"It doesn't matter. Listen, we just got a mission today. It's out of the country." 

"Okay, so?" She asked, not knowing where he was going with this. 

"Apparently we have to work with another group of people, from our company. Namjoon sent me to tell you that you all have to come." He said, looking a little nervous. 

"Okay, I'll go tell them," She said,"When do we go?" She asked. 

"In a month." He said. 

"So we finally get a real mission as spies." She said, feeling a sense of importance wash over her. As minors, they weren’t  really take seriously. Although sometimes, she wondered if this was a bad thing, or a good one. 

"Seokjin said that now that we're older they're actually considering us part of the company." He said, sounding a little excited. 

"Our training should be over, shouldn't it? Why are they only considering us now?" 

"Well, they told us we will be officials spies once we graduate high school." He said, and she shrugged. She started to make her way back inside, but he stopped her.  

"There's something else." He said, placing a packet in her hands she hadn't realized he was carrying. 

"What is it?" She asked, taking the packet. 

"It's a mission.... Read it." He said, sounding nervous again. 

"Why do I feel there's something you're not telling me?" She mumbled, but he didn't answer. She read the contents of the mission, and put it back in the packet. 

"Okay, I have a mission tomorrow... What else is there?" 

"This mission is for.... Two people only." He said, avoiding her gaze. 

"Who else will be there?" She asked. 

"...Namjoon." He said. 

"what?!" 

"None of us wanted this, okay? Straight from the company. I swear I had nothing to do with this." He said quickly, putting his hands up. 

"I'm not going." She said, shoving the packet into his hands. 

"You have to." He said, giving back to her. 

"You've got to be kidding me." She groaned, running a hand through her hair. 

"Don't kill him or anything." He joked, laughing nervously. 

"I can't promise anything." She said, glaring at the packet in her hands. When she looked up at him he was staring at her with wide eyes. He grabbed her hand and linked his pinky with hers.

"What are you doing?" 

"Making you promise me something. You can't kill him tomorrow, promise?" He said, looking completely serious. 

"I was joking, Tae." She said, trying to pulling her hand out of his. 

"Promise?" He tightened his hold. 

"Yeah, whatever. I promise." She said, rolling her eyes. He was too ridiculous sometimes. He let go and she turned around to go inside. She left the door open for him. 

She walked up the stairs and towards her room, where she expected baekhyun would be, after telling Taehyung to wait for her downstairs. She walked in and saw Baekhyun sitting on her bed, flipping through a book. She briefly wondered where Sunmi was before realizing what he was looking through. 

When she came closer she noticed it was her sketchbook, and he was looking at her drawings. 

"What do you think you're doing?" She asked angrily, snatching it away from him. 

"Are those your parents? " He said, still looking at the drawings. 

"Why were you looking at these?" She asked looking down at her sketchbook. She had almost forgotten that she had drawn them. She felt sick. 

"These are private." She said quietly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-Wait, wait are you crying?" He asked, standing up quickly. 

"Let's go. I'll give you a ride home." She said, walking out her door.

She walked down the stairs, with Baekhyun following close behind. When Taehyung saw her he hurried up to her and places both his hands on her face. 

"What happened?" He asked seriously. 

"Nothing. Let's go." She said, pushing his hands away, feeling really overwhelmed. She grabbed the keys and tossed them to Taehyung. 

"Drive." She said and he looked at her worriedly. 

"Please?" She asked and he nodded. 

They walked out of the house and towards the car. Taehyung drove them to Baekhyun's house, after she told him where to go, and Baekhyun put his backpack on. 

"Jin, I really am sorry." He said, and when she didn't respond, he got out of the car and walked away. 

Taehyung drove away from his house and headed somewhere else. She looked down at her sketchbook and bit her lip, hard. She could taste blood.  

She had drawn her sister, in a wedding dress, marrying the boy she had always told her about. On the next page were her parents. Unlike the picture, they looked older. These were events she would have loved to see. Her sisters wedding, her parents growing old together, but she never would. Her vision was starting to blur. It had been years, and still, it hurt. A lot. 

She finally let out a choked sob and closed her sketchbook before my tears could smudge her drawings. She’d been holding this in for a while. 

"Jin, what's wrong?" Taehyung asked. 

"Nothing. I'm fine." She said, wiping the tears away. 

"Buy me some more ice cream." She said, sitting up straight. She tried to change the subject in a way that would make him laugh. It didn’t. 

"Okay, but you owe me." He said, and smiled. 

"I'll pay you back later." She said. 

"I was joking, Jin. You don't have to." He said, holding her hand in his. She sniffed and nodded. She didn’t have to tell him what was going on. He knew. He figured it out. 

They got out of the car and he grabbed her hand again, pulling her into the same little ice cream shop from earlier today.

She was feeling a little relieved, but then she remembered she still had a mission with Namjoon. She was not looking forward to tomorrow. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Well, here it is. Another chapter. I hope it's a little better? 

Hope you guys like it!!! 

Thanks for the subs!!! 

K byeeee (・ω・)ノ