Broken and Dumbfounded

Fatal Affections

The night was cold and windy. The dark sky seemed to be gloomier and darker than usual. The air was dry and seemed to give off an ominous feeling. Thunder was heard rumbling once in awhile.

Linda dropped Norah off by the side of the road, in front of a restaurant that Changmin told reserved for them earlier. “Hey, call me if anything happens, ok?” Linda told Norah before driving off.

Norah stood by the side of the lamp post near the entrance of the restaurant, waiting for Changmin. Her mind was working fast, trying to think of the best way to tell Changmin. Her heart was thumping nervously as each second ticked by.

Suddenly, she felt someone tapping her shoulder. She jumped slightly from shock. “Hey, it’s me, Changmin,” he said, amused by her reaction.

Norah let out a breath of relief and put her hand over her hand. “You scare me! I could have had a heart attack!” she exclaimed.

Changmin laughed. “Why are you so jumpy?” he asked.

“Ahh… my mind was preoccupied,” she said.

“Preoccupied? Of how handsome I am, right?” he asked.

Norah smacked his arm. “You are so full of yourself,” she said.

Changmin smiled. “Let’s go in,” he said.

They both went in. Norah looked at the surroundings. It was very high-class. There was a chandelier in the middle of the restaurant. The waiters were all wearing suits and the furniture was all posh and grand. Norah tugged Changmin’s sleeve as they were ushered to their seats. “Changmin, this restaurant looks expensive! This will definitely cause a dent in your pocket!” Norah whispered.

Changmin pulled out the seat for Norah and Norah smiled at him as she sat down. Changmin bend down to her ears and whispered, “Happy 1st anniversary, darling.”

Norah gasped when she heard that. She totally forgot about the day as she was so preoccupied with the recent problem. Her eyes turned glassy. “Hey, don’t cry. People will think that I am bullying you,” he squeezed her hand.

“Changmin, I am so speechless,” Norah said.

Changmin smiled widely. “Let’s order a meal,” he said, opening the menu.

After ordering their food, both of them had a small talk, reminiscing about their past. The food arrived half an hour later. As they were eating, Changmin signaled to the waiter. Norah watched his gestures and was about to ask what was wrong when suddenly, a band of musicians came to their table and started to play their song, “My little princess.” 

Norah looked at Changmin in surprised and was touched by his preparations. Tears were sliding from her eyes as the band played the song. “Changmin, this is so wonderful,” she said.

Changmin smiled and went over to her, wiping her tears from her eyes. “Hey, don’t cry,” he said gently.

Norah bit her lips. “Changmin,” she whispered his name as she looked at him, feeling so blessed at that moment.

“I love you, Norah,” he said and bent down to kiss her on the lips.

Norah replied the kiss. Both of them pulled away because of the lack of air. Changmin smiled and returned to his seat.

Both of them finished their dinner and left the restaurant. Changmin drove off and brought her to the park where they both first met.

They sat on the bench. “Do you still remember the day where we first met?” Changmin asked.

Norah nodded. “I was jogging in the park when a purse snatcher snatched your bag. You were shouting and running after him,” Changmin said, remembering the incident.

Norah chuckled. “I still remembered how you gave a flying kick to the purse snatcher and tackled him down. You looked like Bruce Lee at that point of time,” she .

“Aww… I was very cool, wasn’t I?” he asked, grinning at her.

Norah nodded. “Ahh, hold on,” he said as he stood up and ran off somewhere.

Norah nodded and watched him leave. Norah looked up to the sky and heard the thunder rumbling again. “How am I going to tell him now?” she mumbled to herself.

Changmin came back, with both his hands hidden behind his back. Norah looked up to him. Changmin grinned and knelt down. Norah looked surprised. “Changmin, what are you doing?” she exclaimed.

He pulled a bouquet of red roses and gave her. Norah was stunned at the bouquet. In the middle of the bouquet was a small teddy bear, holding pink velvet ring box. She opened the box and saw a ring. “Changmin, this ring…” she asked him, questioningly.

Changmin took the ring from her hand. “Norah, will you marry me?” he proposed.

At that instant, fireworks went off in the sky. Norah looked up. “You did this?” she asked.

Changmin just grinned. Norah was so moved to tears. She buried her face in her hands and cried. Changmin panicked and immediately stood up and sat next to her. “Hey, why are you crying?” he asked, worriedly.

“Changmin, why?” she asked.

Changmin just looked at her, puzzled. “Why are you so late in proposing me?” she asked.

“Late?” he questioned.

“If you had proposed to me earlier, this would not have happened!” Norah exclaimed, in between her sobs.

“What would not have happened?” Changmin asked, a bitter feeling suddenly began to pool in his stomach.

Norah hugged him tightly. “Changmin, I am so sorry. I really love to marry you but I can’t,” she said.

Changmin was taken aback and pulled her away. He stared at her in her eyes. “Why not?” he asked.

“Because I am going to marry another man, not you!” she answered, tears flowing fast as she blurted the truth.

Changmin sat there, shocked as she told him that. “My late grandfather arranged me to marry his best friend’s grandson by the end of this month. If I refused to marry him, my family will disown me,” she explained, tearfully.

Changmin sat there, not saying anything. He was too stunned to say and do anything. As her words started to sink in, he felt his heart breaking slowly. “You are getting married at the end of the month?” he asked.

Norah nodded. “Changmin, will you wait for me? Once the two of us get the inheritance, we will get divorce,” she said.

Changmin shook his head. “I don’t know. This is too sudden. I don’t know what to think,” he said.

“Changmin,” Norah called.

“Norah, I’m… I’m at a loss for words. I… I … just don’t know what to think. Please give me some time,” he said, hollowly.

Norah nodded. “I will send you home,” he said, standing up.

Norah stood up and follow him. His back was hunched and he had a blank look on his face. Throughout the journey, both of them kept quiet.  The bouquet of flowers was left on the back seat. When Norah alighted, Changmin went out of the car and approached her. “I…” he started.

He put his hand to caress her face. Norah’s eyes started to brim with tears. “Take care,” he said finally and left.

As he left, rain started to pour down heavily, crying as Changmin drove further away from Norah.  

Changmin switched on his radio, trying to get rid the heavy silence that was hung in air. When he pressed the “play” button on his CD player, the song “My little princess” blasted through the stereo. Unconsciously, tears began to flow as he drove, listening to the song that represents the love between him and Norah.