'Honeymoon'

Fatal Affections

Micky and Norah was ferried from Kansai Airport to their hotel near Osaka Castle. The journey took about 2 hours and both of them slept silently throughout the journey. The driver woke Micky up when they arrived. Micky looked at Norah who was sleeping peacefully. “Don’t wake her up. I will check in and put in our baggage. I will carry her to our room in awhile. Just keep the air-con on, ok? I will be back in awhile,” Micky said in fluent Japanese.

The driver smiled and nodded, helping him to take the baggage in. After Micky had taken the room keys, he went back to the car and lifted the sleeping Norah, bridal style to their room. Everyone was looking at them in awed, impressed by the way Micky showed his love towards his wife. “He is so loving towards his wife. He must have loves her a lot,” Micky overheard one of the hotel guests’ remarks.

Micky smirked to himself. “Love? I wish my wife is someone whom I loved,” Micky muttered quietly to himself, Linda’s image suddenly popped up in his mind.

The hotel room was a suite with two bedrooms and a living room. “Wow, they really decorate it,” Micky said, looking at the interior of the room.

The suite was beautifully decorated with flowers and rose petals. There was even a complimentary champagne and chocolates placed on the table of the living room. Micky carefully placed Norah in one of the bedrooms and closed the door behind him. He took his luggage and went to the other room to unpack.

As he was unpacking, he heard a knock on the door. “Yoochun-sshi, it’s me, Norah. Can I come in?” Norah asked.

Micky answered the door and let her in. “Ah, had a good sleep?” he asked.

Norah smiled sheepishly. “Yes, thank you. You carried me here?” she asked.

Micky shrugged. “It’s my duty as a husband,” he said.

Norah blushed. “Ahhh… thank you. So, umm…” she looked at Micky, at a loss of words.

Micky looked at her. Suddenly their stomach rumbled. The awkward silence was broken by their laughter. “Looks like it’s time to eat. What is the time now?” Micky asked.

“Oh! It’s almost 7pm,” Norah exclaimed.

“No wonder. Let’s eat dinner. I think the restaurant here serves delicious food. Is it ok?” Micky asked.

Norah smiled and nodded. “I’ll freshen up and meet you in awhile,” she said.

Both of them sat met at the living room and made their way to the restaurant. After they had each ordered their meal, both fell into an awkward silence. Norah was fiddling with her napkin while Micky was looking out of the window. “Umm… Yoochun-sshi,” Norah broke the silence.

“Ahh, call me Micky. I am used to people calling me Micky,” Micky smiled.

Norah nodded. “Okay, Micky then. Our ‘honeymoon’ is a week long, right? So what are going to do? Do you have any plans?” she asked.

“Hmm… Let’s just hang out and visit the tourist attraction spots. We agreed that we shall treat each other as friends, right? So, if you have any particular place to go, don’t be afraid to tell me,” he smiled.

Norah nodded. “So, do you have any place which you would like to go?” Micky asked.

“Ahh, I would like to go to Osaka Castle, and the famous Kaiyukan Aquarium,” Norah said.

Micky nodded. “Ok, we shall go there tomorrow then. For tonight, we shall just rest,” Micky said.

Norah smiled excitedly and could not wait for their outing the next day.

Early the next morning, both of them walked to the Castle which was nearby. After spending the whole morning there, they proceed to go to Kaiyukan. “Let’s eat before we go in,” Micky suggested as it was almost lunch time.

Norah nodded in agreement. They went to a restaurant nearby to eat. They saw a huge ferris wheel near the aquarium. “Shall we ride that after the aquarium visit?” Micky asked, looking at the ferris wheel.

Norah grinned. “Of course!” she agreed instantly.

There were lots of children and families that day as it was a Sunday where families would go out and spend time together. As they entered, they walked slowly as to view the fishes and animals in the tanks closely. “Linda loves dolphins,” Micky remarked as they went to the dolphins’ enclosure.

Norah nodded. “Yeah, she loves dolphins,” Norah agreed to his statement.

Norah looked at Micky who was observing the dolphins with a faraway look in his eyes. “Have you gone to see dolphins with her?” Norah asked as she watched the dolphins swimming around.

Micky nodded. “She was super excited and was jumping around like a small kid. I am going to take photo and sent it to her,” Micky said, taking out his phone.

Norah just smiled at Micky’s antics. As they were walking towards the escalator to go up the second floor, a small boy ran past them and knocked into Norah. Micky quickly grabbed Norah before she fell down and hugged her close. “That was close,” Micky said.

Norah pulled away from the hug. “Thank you. You have fast reflexes,” she said, blushing.

Micky waved it off and continued to walk. “It’s ok. I always have to watch out for Linda. She always trip over her own legs especially if she if excited. So, I guess there is where my fast reflexes comes about,” Micky said.

Norah nodded and realized that Micky had been bringing Linda’s name every now and then. She felt awkward and sad at the same time as she knew that Micky was trying his best to make her feel happy even though he would rather stay in the hotel and sleep.

At the end of the aquarium, there was a gift shop. They entered the gift shop. They walked past a jewellery section. Micky stopped at the counter suddenly. Norah was puzzled and approached him. “Hey, what are you looking at?” she asked.

“Look at that crystal pendent. It’s a dolphin, right?” Micky asked.

Norah nodded. “Hmm… I think I shall get that for Linda. She will definitely loves it,” Micky smiled, happily.

Norah smiled and nodded. “She will love it,” Norah said.

“Ahh, is there anything that you like? I will buy it for you as a gift,” Micky said, feeling a bit guilty for not buying anything for Norah.

“It’s ok. There is nothing that I like. Don’t feel bad, Micky. I am happy that you are willing to accompany me here despite everything,” Norah squeezed his arm.

After paying, both of them went to take the ferris wheel ride. The sun was setting when they took the ride. “Wow, this is so beautiful,” Norah remarked as she looked out at the scenery in the cubicle.

Micky nodded and took a picture of the sunset. “It’s very romantic,” Micky added in.

Norah chuckled. “Linda should be here, not me,” Norah said, suddenly.

Micky looked at her in surprised. “What? Why do you say that?” Micky asked, surprised.

Norah looked at Micky who was sitting opposite of her and smiled. She took his hand. “I know that you are in love with her. You wish that you were married to her, instead of me, right? I can see it in your eyes. Besides, everywhere we went, you kept bringing up Linda’s name,” Norah said, grinning teasingly at him.

Micky blushed. “I’m sorry about that. I guess it makes you feel uncomfortable,” Micky apologized.

Norah shook her head. “Well, I wish that you were someone else too,” she confessed.

“Ahh, that boyfriend of yours. Changmin, right?” he said.

Norah nodded. “The two of you broke up because of this fake marriage?” Micky asked.

Norah nodded sadly. “Silly girl. Why break up? You should continue with the relationship. We are just friends, remember?” Micky said, ruffling her hair.

“Hey, don’t do that,” she pushed his hand away.

Micky leaned back into the seat and laughed. “Hmm… tell you what. I will help you get Changmin back. I don’t mind if you want to continue dating him,” he said.

This time, Norah was staring at him in disbelief. “You what? Help me get back with Changmin?” she asked.

Micky nodded. “So, the next time you came here, it will be Changmin and you who will be sitting here like this, admiring the sunset,” Micky smiled.

“In that case, I will help you win Linda’s love. And the next time you come here, you will be with Linda instead of me,” Norah said.

Micky grinned and leaned forward. He held out his hand. Norah looked at it and gave a wide smile. She shook his hand. “Deal. We shall help each other get their rightful partners,” Micky said.

Norah smiled. Suddenly, both of them felt that this fake marriage did not seem so bad after all.