Ideas and Decisions

Fatal Affections

 

At the end of the day, after the last kid had gone home with his parents, Junsu, Linda and Micky started to clear the preschool centre together with several other teachers. Junsu went up to Linda who was stacking up the chairs by the corner. “Linda, let’s go for dinner, together after this,” he asked, hopefully.

Linda looked up at him and smiled. Before she could answer, Micky turned up behind them. “Linda, are you ready? We will be meeting Norah in an hour’s time,” Micky asked.

Linda looked at Micky and then at Junsu. “Ah, Junsu, I’m sorry. I got some urgent plans later. I shall take a rain check on that offer, ok? Maybe tomorrow?” Linda rejected Junsu’s offer gently.

Micky’s raised one of his eyebrows at Linda’s answer. He saw Junsu’s face fell but struggled to smile. “It’s ok. We can go dinner another time then,” he said and left.

“Why do Micky always have to hog her? So unfair,” Junsu grumbled to himself, softly.

Linda sighed on the way to the café. Micky who was driving glanced at her. “Why are you sighing? Disappointed that you can’t go out with Junsu?” he asked, feeling a twinge of jealousy.

Linda glared at him. “I feel guilty in turning him down. He is such a sweet guy and a good friend, unlike you,” she answered.

Micky frowned. “Do you like him?” he asked.

Linda was puzzled by the question. “Of course, I do. As a friend though. How can I not like him? He is so cute and adorable and has nice manners unlike someone I know,” Linda answered darkly, remembering Jaejoong.

Micky was somehow unhappy by the answer. “If you like him as a friend, then don’t lead him on. You will only cause him to be hurt,” he said, harshly.

Linda gaped at him. “What?” she said, taken aback by his change of attitude.

“We are here,” he said as he pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car.

Linda trailed behind him, her head full of questions about Micky’s weird change of behavior. As she was trying to figure it out, she saw Norah waiting for them. Linda smiled widely and ran to her, pulling her to a hug. “Norah!” she squealed.

Micky and Norah was amused by her behavior. “We are in a café, Linda. Behave yourself,” Micky chided her.

Linda stuck a tongue at him and sat next to Norah. “Let’s order,” Micky said and they placed the order with the waitress.

While waiting for their order to arrived, the atmosphere turned silent and tense. Linda looked at Norah and Micky. “Umm… so, are you guys prepared to get married?” she asked, breaking the silence.

Norah and Micky glared at her instantly. “Of course not!” they exclaimed in unison.

Linda blinked in surprised. “Ahh… Of course not. So what are you guys going to do?” she asked.

“I don’t know. You have any idea?” Norah asked.

“I don’t know either. You have a boyfriend whom you are in love with. I can’t break the two of you up. I rather marry Linda,” Micky said.

Linda nodded at Micky words and choked on her drink when Micky said he would rather marry her. “That is not funny, Micky,” Linda slapped his arm, blushing furiously.

Micky sighed. Norah looked at Linda’s and Micky’s interaction. It was clear to her that both of them have feelings for each other but either they did not admit or did not realize it. The atmosphere turned silent again.

“How about….” Linda began to speak up but was glared by Micky.

“Don’t you dare suggest stupid things,” he warned Linda.

“I have not finished speaking, Micky Don’t be rude. As I was saying, how about a contract marriage?” she said.

Both Norah and Micky looked interested. “Tell me more,” Norah said.

“Contract marriage. The two of you will get married but only until Micky got his assets from the will. After that, the two of you can divorce and are free to marry anyone you love. In the mean time, the two of you will sleep in different rooms and are free to see anyone. You two need not get involve in each other’s lives, well except to act from time to time as perfect husband and wife in order to make your families not suspect anything,” Linda explained.

Micky and Norah grinned at her explanation. “Ah, I like that idea! Linda, you are brilliant!” Norah exclaimed.

Linda grinned like a Cheshire cat. “Of course, I know that,” Linda joked, earning a smack on the arms by both Norah and Micky.

“Ok, so let’s write down the conditions to the contract marriage like what Linda said and have Linda signed it as a witness,” Micky said.

The agreed and started to draft out the contract and all three of them signed on the contract. 

Linda looked at the time and it was past 10pm. “Oh no! My curfew! Oppa is going to blow his top if I’m not back yet,” Linda said, panicking.

Norah chuckled. “You still have curfew? How old are you?” she .

Linda rolled her eyes. “Don’t bother asking. I will always be a 5 year old in Yunho’s oppa’s eyes,” Linda said.

“Let me take you home then,” both Norah and Micky asked in unison.

Linda looked at the two of them and chuckled. “The two of you are so cute. Norah, I think you have to inform Changmin about this. You have not told him about it yet, right?” Linda said.

Norah nodded, quietly. “Then, I will take you home. I have no one to inform my marriage to,” Micky said.

Linda shook her head. “I will go home alone. I think you are weird today. Go home and rest,” Linda said.

“Weird? What? Hey,” Micky asked but Linda had already left after paying for the bill.

Norah and Micky were left alone. Norah leaned forward. “You are in love with her, aren’t you?” she asked.

Micky looked at her in surprised. “No. I am not. She is just a dear friend of mine. My best friend,” he said.

Norah smiled gently and chuckled. “I see. I shall see you around then,” she said and left.

Norah stepped outside the café and dialed Changmin’s number. “Changmin? Are you free tomorrow night?” she asked.