Kept in the Dark

Fatal Affections

“Hey, I have been calling you so many times. Which planet did you wander off to?” Linda tapped Norah’s shoulder.

Norah looked up and offered an apologetic smile, “I’m sorry. I was thinking of things.”

Linda sat down next to her and gave her a cup of hot coffee. It was almost winter season. Cold, dry air was blowing the dry leaves, making as if the leaves were dancing in the wind. Linda shivered.

“What’s wrong?” Linda asked.  

Norah sighed and started to tell her what happened.

Flashback----

Changmin walked towards the police HR office where Norah worked as a HR manager for the police force. Norah was busy tidying up her table when Changmin popped into her office. “Hi, sweetheart,” Changmin smiled, greeting her.

Norah looked up and grinned. “Hey, you are here. Hold on, for a moment. I will be ready in awhile,” Norah said, grabbing some files and stashed them in her bag.

After awhile, they left the office and were on their way for dinner. “Where are we going?” Norah asked.

Changmin kept quiet, looking at her mischievously. “Dinner.  I’m hungry,” he said.

Norah chuckled. A while later, Changmin pulled up in front of a restaurant. He opened the car door for Norah and waited for her to come out. Norah smiled at his small, romantic gestures. “Let’s go in,” he said.

Norah looked at the restaurant building. It looked high class. She wondered what type of restaurant he brought her to. When Changmin opened the door of the restaurant, Norah was greatly surprised. The first thing that she saw in the restaurant was rows and rows of food. Norah let out a laugh. Changmin looked at her in surprised.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

Norah looked at him in amusement. “What is this restaurant?” she asked.

Changmin’s eyes lit up. “This is the most popular buffet restaurant in the whole of Seoul! It took me weeks to reserve a place for the two of us. This place serves very delicious food from all over the world. I can’t wait to try them,” he said, enthusiastically.

Norah smiled and was infected by his enthusiasm with food. She knew that Changmin is a huge eater and he simply loved to eat. Therefore, it was not surprising that Changmin brought her here for a date. 

The two of them were ushered to a seat. Changmin, being a gentleman, pulled out her seat and helped her to sit. The waiter came and asked them about their drinks. Both ordered fruit juice as Changmin was driving and Norah was not good with alcohol. After placing their order for their drinks, Changmin turned to Norah. “What would you like to eat? I shall take the food for you,” he asked.

Norah told him what she wanted and Changmin took the food for her. They both had a pleasant dinner as they talked and chatted with each other about random things. “Ah, I met your best friend, Jung Linda,” Changmin said.

“Oh, Linda? She’s a nice girl, isn’t she?” Norah asked.

Changmin nodded. “She is very funny, so much different from her brother,” he said.

Norah laughed. “Her brother is your squad leader, isn’t he?” she said.

Changmin nodded.  When Changmin mentioned Linda, Norah immediately remembered about her arranged marriage with Yoochun. She suddenly lost her appetite. Changmin saw her face changed. “Hey, you look pale. Are you all right?” he asked.

Norah looked at him and smiled. “Ahh… I’m fine. I’m full,” she lied.

“Then, don’t eat anymore. Just sit and relax,” he said, continue to eat.

Norah watched him eat with mixed feelings. She could not bear to break the news to Changmin. She opened to inform him but no words came out. Frustrated, she frowned and tried to think of a way to inform him of the news. 

“Norah!” Changmin shook her.

Norah blinked and looked at him. “Yes?” she asked, blankly.

“I have been calling you so many times but you spaced out. Is there anything wrong?” he asked, looking at her in concern.

Norah shook her head. “There’s nothing wrong. Everything is just fine,” she said, lying through her teeth.

End of flashback---

“What? So you can’t bring yourself to tell him?” Linda asked, shocked.

Linda and Norah were on the way to the bridal shop to choose Norah’s wedding down and Linda’s bridesmaid dress the following week. Norah told Linda that she tried to break the news but she just could not do it. “So, what do you plan to do now?” Linda asked.

Norah shrugged. “I guess I will inform him on the day before my wedding.  I love him so much, Linda. How can I tell him that I am marrying someone who is not him? It will not only break his heart, but mine too. He will never see me again. Or talk to me. I cannot live without Changmin,” she said.

Linda sighed. “Yeah, I understand. He will be so heartbroken,” Linda nodded, pushing the door of the shop to enter.

“Ahh, you girls are here,” a voice greeted them.

Both of them turned. “Yoochun! Just arrived?” Linda asked, smiling at him.

Yoochun nodded and hugged her. He saw Norah and nodded his head, politely, “Hi,Norah,” he greeted.

“Yoochun, who is your best man? I thought you are bringing him along to try out for his clothes, too,” Linda asked.

“He went to the gents. Ah, there he is,” Yoochun pointed out.

Both Linda and Norah looked at the direction to where he was pointing. At the same time, the guy looked up and saw them. Linda and the guy gasped. “You!” both of them exclaimed.

Norah and Yoochun looked at them in amusement. “What are you doing here?” both of them asked in unison.

When they realized it, they glared at each other and looked away. “Yoochun, don’t tell me that you are marrying that uncouth woman,” he asked 

Yoochun chuckled and introduced them,“Linda, Norah, this is my best man and my best friend, Kim Jaejoong. Jaejoong, this is my dear colleague, Linda and the woman whom I am supposed to be marrying, Norah.”

Jaejoong nodded and smiled to Norah, ignoring Linda who was also looking away. Jaejoong grumbled as he recalled what happened a week ago, “The Jungs always make my life miserable.”

Flashback----

“Changmin! Why are you so happy today?” Jaejoong asked, looking over his cubicle.

“Ahh… I’m going for a date after work today,” Changmin grinned.

“Date? Lucky you. I wish I had a date too,” Jaejoong replied in envy.

“Date? Who’s going on a date?” a voice boomed from behind them.

“Changmin, sir,” Jaejoong answered, instantly.

Yunho eyed the two of them. “Changmin, you may go. Jaejoong, since you do not have a date today, you are helping me with the paperwork regarding the case,” Yunho said, dumping a huge stack of files on Jaejoong’s table.

Changmin chuckled and took his jacket from the chair. He patted Jaejoong’s shoulder and whispered, “Have fun on your date with Yunho, hyung. This is your reward for ‘treating’ his sister ‘well’. Have fun!”

Jaejoong turned and glared at Changmin’s back which was slowly diminishing through the corridor. “I should change my job as a clerk rather than a police,” Jaejoong grumbled to himself as he began poring over the case files.

End of flashback-----

Yoochun and Norah sighed, feeling that this would be the longest day of their life as they stared at them.