Officially 18

Sunflower Girl

SEVERAL MONTHS LATER...

The leaves had turned orange... and as the wind blew through the trees, they floated down to the ground gently. It was my 18th birthday, yesterday being Jinyoung's 18th birthday. For the past year, I had been blessed with a warm family, great company and a loving boyfriend. Life was perfect just as it was and I was terrified that any of that will change eventhough I knew change was inevitable. Just then, the door opened and I snapped my head to the side and saw Youngjae smiling at me brightly.

"Noona! Happy Birthday!" he exclaimed as he stood there with a chocolate coated cake.

I smiled at him warmly as I got off my bed and waked towards him. He passed the cake to me and held onto my arm as he led me down the stairs. In the living room, the boys (GOT7) and Mr. and Mrs. Choi were looking at me with bright smiles.

"ONE, TWO, THREE!" Jinyoung cheered loudly.

Everyone started singing a happy birthday song making me tear up. The last time someone sang to me a birthday song was my Appa when I had turned 10... It was my last birthday with him. I came down the flight of stairs and just when I did the song stopped. I blew out the candles and everyone started clappping. Mrs. Choi took the cake from me and placed it on teh table to slice it when suddenly, I felt a pair of arms around my waist from behind me. I turned around and realised it was Jinyoung. He lifted me off my feet and twirled me around, making me smile and laugh. He placed me down gently on the floor before giving a quick peck on my lips.

"EW!" Jackson yelled from the kitchen when he saw us.

"Oh my gosh, she's my sister, Hyung!" Youngjae whined as he covered his eyes.

Jinyoung and I just laughed in reply.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

I was holding onto her hand as we walked down the quiet street. The wind was making us feel chilled yet not cold which was nice.

"So! You're graduating this year. You excited?" she asked as she looked up at me, still holding onto my hand ever so tight.

"I used to look forward to it a lot but now that its actually coming... I don't know what to feel," I said worriedly.

"What~ I remembered that day when we were out at the sunflower field and you told me all your dreams and ambitions. What happened to that Jinyoung?" she asked.

"Oh! I never told you my full name. I'm Park Jinyoung," I said.

"Oh! I'm Park Myunghee! We're both Park! DAEBAK!" she chirped.

"Well, I guess you wouldn't have to change your surname when we get married," I said without thinking.

We continued walking and I noticed her smiling shyly. I finally realised what I said and started laughing.

"Well, hopefully... if we get married," I added, trying to make my blush go away.

"Yah... You can't marry me, Park Jinyoung," she said as she let go of my hand and walked in front of me.

She was facing me as she started walking backwards, smiling.

"And why not?" I asked with a smile.

"Because~ You're going to be an idol, remember?" she asked with an eyebrow raised.

"But what if I stayed?" I asked.

Then she paused right in front of me, her expression different from before.

"But you want to leave," she said softly.

"... I'd stay for you," I answered.

"Jinyoung, I don't want you to be in the way of your dreams," she said sadly.

"You're not standing in the way of my dreams... You became my dream," I replied.

She started laughing and I laughed a little as well.

"What?" I asked as I approached her.

"You always know the right things to say! What is it with you?" she said with a laugh.

I wrapped my arms around her tiny waist and pulled her in for a hug. I my fingers through her soft, long hair and closed my eyes, taking in her sweet scent.

"I love you..." I said rather randomly.

She pulled away and sighed. She never really said the words 'I love you' and everyone knew why. After many years of being unloved, she couldn't just say it so easily anymore.

 

"I'm sorry, Jinyoung..." I apologized, knowing I hurt him.

"No... Don't worry about it. Come on!" he said, trying to sound like he was okay when I knew he was not.

"Oh! Yes, I'm getting you some barbeque for your birthday!" he said suddenly.

"Oh, I forgot! I didn't get anything for you," I yelled in frustration.

"Okay, if I want something, I'll tell you," he said and I nodded.

THE NEXT DAY...

I was just outside the school when I saw Jinyoung walking out with another girl. They high fived before hugging quickly. She left to be with another group of girls and that was when Jinyoung turned to face me.

"Myunghee ah!" he exclaimed as if everything was okay.

I couldn't help but stare at the girl and then I looked back at Jinyoung.

"She's just a friend, Myunghee," Jinyoung said with a concerned expression.

"Oh! Yeah, I know..." I said, trying to sound normal.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

She seemed distant eventhough she was right beside me. I knew she was still troubled when Ailee and I hugged and I felt like I had to clear the air.

"She's just a friend, Myunghee..." I repeated.

"I know~" she said as she continued poking her cheeks.

I smiled, seeing how cute she was trying her best not to show her jealousy.

"Yah, I love you!" I said with a laugh.

Then I saw her smile slightly... a smile of satisfaction that made me laugh.

"Then... why did you hug her?!" she said, suddenly exploding.

"She got accepted into an entertainment company and I was happy for her. She told me to go out with her and her whole family but I declined," I explained.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because I have a girlfriend~" I replied cheekily.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes as if she wasn't amused yet her smile showed me differently.

"Aigoo! Miss Park, other than you, there is only one other girl that I'll love!" I said.

"What?! Who?!" she yelled angrily.

I leaned in close and pecked her forehead.

"The next girl I love would be our daughter~~~" I answered cheekily before running off laughing.

"YAH!!!" I heard her scream from behind me with a laugh.

I ran all the way until she caught up to me and wrapped her arms around me, preventing me from moving. We started laughing until I saw Appa a few metres diagonally beside us. I stopped laughing and after a few seconds, so did Myunghee.

"Who's that?" she asked.

"... My father," I replied rather nervously.

 

Jinyoung's father approached us. He seemed really rugged... like how my uncle looked yet, he seemed at the same time, loving unlike my uncle. There was no smile on his face and I noticed how he was glaring at Jinyoung's arm which was around my waist. I stepped to the side, letting his arm drop.

"This is the girl?" he asked roughly to Jinyoung.

"Myunghee, this is my father. Appa this is Myunghee... She's my girlfriend," Jinyoung introduced us rather roughly as well.

"What happened to your neck?" he asked suddenly.

I had realised that I didn't manage to cover the scars on my neck that morning since I was running out of it. Ashamed, I covered the scars as much as I could with my long hair. He just continued staring at me coldly.

"She doesn't like talking about it," Jinyoung spoke up.

"Okay... I understand. Myunghee, do you go to school?" he asked.

"Um... No... I stopped when I was 9 because my father didn't have any money for my education," I said, sounding rather pathetic.

"How about work?" he asked.

"I'm taking care of the Choi family's farm in order for me to live with them. Mr and Mrs Choi give me my weekly allowance of 20,000 won (20 dollars)," I replied.

"So... You don't go to school, you don't really have a job and you have scars and bruises? Are you a fighter?" he asked rudely.

Jinyoung held onto my wrist and stood in front of me defensively.

"What is your problem with her?" he asked.

I grabbed onto his arm.

"Jinyoung..." I called out softly and I felt him relax slightly.

"Your mother is at home alone. I have to go work out of town for a few days so I need you to stay at home rather than spending your time with... your company. Understand?" he instructed and Jinyoung simply nodded once before heading off somewhere, still holding onto my wrist.

"Jinyoung?" I called out but he didn't reply.

I broke free of his grasp and stood in front of him, blocking his way.

"I'm not angry at your father at all. People sometimes misunderstand about me and its fine, its normal for people to think of me that way," I said calmly.

"That doesn't mean its the right way," he said angrily.

"... I don't want you to lose your father," I said seriously.

He sighed before pulling me in for a hug.

"I know... As much as he gets on my nerves, I promise you I'll try my best," he responded.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

Luckily, Omma and Myunghee hit it off so well that after just a few hours, Omma allowed her to call her Omma as well. She had invited Myunghee to sleep over and Mrs Choi had allowed it. It was pretty nerve wrecking having my girlfriend sleeping over my house... but I didn't hate it at all. Omma had fallen asleep early aftter a long day of doing chores and also working on the farm. I made a quick visit to teh meat barbeque shop that Myunghee liked so much and ordered some take out for the both of us. I stood in front of her room and cleared my throat before knocking on it.

"Come in!" she chirped from the inside.

I came in and saw her hugging onto a big bear that I used to play with when I was a kid.

"ITS SO CUTE!!!" she squealed.

I laughed when she suddenly bit the bear with her front teeth.

"If you like it so much, its yours. Take care of it," I said as I sat down beside her on the bed.

"What's its name?" she asked as she hugged the life out of it.

"Hahah! I don't have one for it," I replied.

"Well... Since its mine now... I want it to be a girl... I'll call her Angel!" she decided as she started swaying it side to side.

I shook my head and laughed before giving her the food I bought.

 

LATER ON...

The soft sounds of the rain hitting the roof could be heard... but then suddenly, the rain got heavier and with that came louder thunder. I woke up from my sleep and hugged Angel tight. I hated nights like these... it was like the night Appa left me. I didn't feel comfortable so I left Angel on the bed and rushed out of my room. I got soaked slightly as the wind was strong. I looked to the side and came inside Jinyoung's room. Almost instantly, a dim light came on and I saw Jinyoung sitting up on his bed.

"Myunghee ah..." he called out in a husky voice as he rushed to me.

"Jin... Jinyoung..." I stuttered.

He gave me a warm hug which just made me brave just like that. I leaned back a little and rested my forehead on his chest. He gave me a peck on the forehead before placing his hands on my shoulders and looking down at me.

"You okay?" he asked as he wiped my face that was slightly wet from the rain.

"Yeah... I'm all better now..." I replied.

He stared into my eyes and started my cheek with his hand.

"Myunghee... Remember when I said if I wanted something for my birthday?" he asked and I nodded.

"... Can I ask for something really risky?" he asked.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"... I... I want you to spend...a  night with... me..." he stuttered.

I realised what he wanted and I bit my lip nervously.

"Aish... Um, forget I asked. Good night, okay?" he said as he gave my hand one last squeeze.

However, I held onto his hand and I saw him turn around.

"I... I want to try..." I answered.

"You don't have to, Myunghee," he said.

"No... Its what I want," I said.

With that, I went on my tippy toes and laid my lips upon his.