I Can't Make Her Happy Anymore

Sunflower Girl

JINYOUNG'S POV

I was just sleeping beside Yugyeom when Myunghee's gasps woke me up. I got up and out of the bed, slammed the doors of my bedroom open to see Myunghee vomiting non-stop. Then the lights of her room opened and the next thing I realised was that Jackson had rushed in and was carrying her in his arms.

"JINYOUNG, SHE NEEDS HELP! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" JB yelled as he held a bucket just beside her so she was vomiting inside of it.

Coming back to reality, I called Doctor Song on my mobile phone.

"Hm? Jinyoung ah, is something the matter?" he asked tiredly.

"DOCTOR SONG! MYUNGHEE IS... SHE'S... THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH HER!" I stuttered as I paced back and forth in the living room as everyone else quickly grabbed their wallets and mobile phones.

"WHAT?! Okay! I'm still at the hospital! COME HERE NOW!" he instructed and I hung up and got ready as well.

 

Thankfully, the manager was willing to wake up and drive down to the dorm to get me to the hospital. Jinyoung sat me on his lap as I curled up into a ball, tryiing to fight through the pain. Just when I was getting used to it, I felt a sudden jolt of pain and I let out a yell as I held into Jinyoung's shirt tighter.

"HYUNG, PLEASE DRIVE FASTER!" Jinyoung begged as he held me closer to him.

I started crying into his shirt and I looked behind to see Youngjae looking at me worriedly from the back seat. He held out his hand towards me and with my free hand, I held onto it tight. Then I felt another jolt and let out a shrilling cry. After what seemed like forever, the doors of the van opened and Jackson held out his arms towards Jinyoung. He then handed me over to him and Jackson carried me swiftly up a few flights of stairs with Mark beside him. Just as I was placed on one of those moving beds, I passed out.

LATER ON...

"Myunghee? Myunghee, are you awake?"

I fluttered my eyes open and the first person I saw a blurry image of Doctor Song. After a couple more blinks, my vision cleared and I saw that Youngjae was also in the room with me.

"Ugh..." I groaned as I felt the uncomfortable feeling in my mouth, like the feeling you get ater vomiting tons.

Just then, a guy came in. He looked familiar and I did know him but I just... couldn't remember his name.

"Myunghee! Thank god!" he exclaimed as he came over to me.

I just looked up at him blurly. He seemed to know I was lost from my expression.

"Myunghee, its me... Mark," he reminded me.

I let out a sigh and shook my head as I let out a laugh.

"Oh yeah! Sorry I just... I passed out so I guess my mind is kinda messed up now," I said light-heartedly.

"Noona, Doctor Song told us some stuff while you were passed out. The... um... side effects," Youngjae revealed.

I looked at Doctor Song, confused.

"What else?" I asked, feeling helpless.

"The chemotherapy drugs might cause some difficulty in terms of memory and makes it difficult for you too think clearly or concentrate," Doctor Song explained.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

Everyone had went off for their schedules while I went back to the hospital during my break. Youngjae and Mark hyung had explained to me what Doctor Song said about the effects and so I wanted to see if she was okay. I opened the door to see Myunghee just staring into space. The moment I came in, she looked at me and I saw tears in her eyes.

"Jinyoung?" she called out.

Instantly, I let out a sigh of relief, grateful she still knew my name but what she said next brought more pain.

"Jinyoung... I forgot our daughter's name..." she said, her voice beggining to tremble.

"What?" I asked, shocked.

"I remember how she looks like and how much I love her but I can't... I can't..." she said as she started crying.

I rushed to her side and held her hands.

"Her name is Cheonsa... but we call her Angel," I answered.

She cried even harder and she reached to hug me. She cried into my shoulder as I patted her back and shed some tears as well, making sure she wouldn't see me cry.

"Its okay... Its okay, Myunghee... Its okay," I said reassuringly.

 

A FEW MINUTES LATER...

"How can a mother forget her daughter's name?" I asked, my eyes feeling dry after shedding so much tears.

Jinyoung just remained silent and shook his head.

"You can't blame yourself, Myunghee," he said, his voice sounding weak.

"I don't mind dying... I just don't want to forget everyone I know," I stuttered as I held my hands to my forehead and combed my hair back, stopping halfway.

"Hold on, okay? I'll go get some food to eat," Jinyoung said before walking out of the room

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

The minute I closed the door behind me, I leaned my back against it and let out a long, defeated sigh. I couldn't do anything to help her... I can't stop her from dying or making her happy. I needed advice so I approached one of the nurses who was near.

"Excuse me, do you know where Doctor Song is?" I asked.

She seemed confused and she shook her head.

"Um... There is no Doctor Song here. Do you mean Doctor Park, the doctor who is taking care of your girlfriend, Park Myunghee?" she asked.

"Huh? Wait, what is his name again?" I asked.

"Doctor Park. The case was actually given to another doctor but for some reason, Doctor Park volunteered to handle the patient once he heard about it," she said.

I thought hard... and I started to think of a reason why he did what he did.

"Where is he now?" I asked.

"In his office," she replied and I quickly took off.

I barged into his office and the first thing I saw was the photo of the sunflower field in Tae-Baek.

"Doctor Park," I called out.

He looked at me with wide eyes and stood up straight away.

"You're Myunghee's father... aren't you?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Jinyoung..." he called out.

I stormed over to him and gave him a blow to his cheek, making him fall down. At that moment, the door opened and Yugyeom came in. He saw me standing over Doctor Park and quickly pulled me away.

"Hyung! What are you doing?!" he asked worriedly but I pushed him away.

Doctor Park stood back up and leaned his hands on his desk, trying to catch his breath.

"DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT SHE WENT THROUGH?! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY TIMES SHE CALLED FOR HER FATHER?!" I yelled.

"Father?" Yugyeom asked as he looked at Doctor Park.

"I had no idea... my brother would hurt her. When I saw her scars on her arms and legs, I realised I had left my daughter in the hands of a monster. I can't change the past... but I can help her now," he said, as he started shedding tears.

"NO! NO, YOU DON'T GET TO CRY! YOU'RE A COWARD! YOU THINK THIS WOULD SOMEHOW MAKE UP FOR WHAT YOU DID?! I WAS THE ONE WHO PICKED UP THE PIECES! I WAS THE ONE THAT STAYED WITH HER THROUGH THICK AND THIN, NOT YOU! NOW YOU'RE BACK AND SHE'S GOING TO BREAK DOWN ALL OVER AGAIN!" I shouted furiously.

"You're right... You're right... I don't expect you or Myunghee to understand or even forgive me because I know I won't get that," he said and I calmed down a bit.

"I was stuck... in a house which held painful memories for me. As everyday passed, I grew bitter and bitter and the last thing I wanted was for Myunghee to see me weak. I wasn't a good father to her... but still she loved being around me... but everytime she smiled I saw my wife," he said as he started crying.

Then I didn't feel angry... I just felt... empty.

"I saw my dear wife in her eyes every time she looked at me and I couldn't take it so I left her at my brother's house. I came here to Seoul and made a new life for mmyself but not once did I ever forget about Myunghee. When I heard about her in the news, how she had the same illness as her mother I thought I could do something... but I can't. Yet she still smiles..." he said before he sat down on his chair and broke down.

"Myunghee... has been strong for so long not just to show me she can handle everything... but also because she hopes one day, when her father comes back, she wishes for him to be proud of her. You know why? She thought you left because of her.... because she was getting in the way of your happiness. You can't cure her... I get that now---" I stuttered.

"Hyung ah..." Yugyeom called out sadly.

"But just once... Just once before she dies, I want her to know her father still loves her... and that she did him proud. I can't make her happy anymore but... I know you can at least make sure she passes on peacefully," I said before leaving the room.