He Can Never Know

Sunflower Girl

It had been a few days and I was vomiting more and eating more as well. I was just sitting on my bed when I decided to go to the village doctor for advice. I went off, telling Mrs Choi that I had just wanted to take a stroll as I didn't want to alarm her. I was on my way when I saw the departmental store.

"It can't be..." I told myself.

However, I came in anyway. The first person I saw was the same ahjumma behind the counter. I approached her warily.

"Um... Excuse me..." I called out softly.

"Oh! You're Jinyounggie's girfriend right?" she asked.

I smiled and nodded.

"What can I do for you, child?" she asked.

"I... um... I want to try... this..." I said as I pointed to the pregnancy test device.

Her expression changed and I bit my lip nervously.

"You can just take it. Its on me. I just hope that there won't be a plus," she said.

With that, I took it and walked back home. I walked up the stairs as calmly as possible up to my bathroom.

LATER ON...

I held onto the device, staring at the faint pink plus. The main door opened and Mr and Mrs Choi came in after working all day on the farm.

"Hello, Myunghee!" they both greeted in unison.

I didn't greet them back as I was still in disbelief. Then I felt the sofa sink a little beside me and saw Mrs Choi looking at me worriedly.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

I shook my head and showed her the device.

"I was getting hungry all the time... and I started vomiting... and I realised I missed my period this month," I said as a tear flowed down my cheek.

"Oh... Myunghee... You poor child," she said as she hugged me.

"What am I supposed to do? Jinyoung can't ever know... It would destroy his career that he worked so hard for..." I said worriedly.

Then I let go of her as an idea popped into my head.

"Jinyoung... can never know..." I said sadly.

"What are you going to do?" Mr Choi asked from the kitchen that was right beside us.

 

2 MONTHS LATER...

JINYOUNG'S POV

I got off the train with the rest of the boys.

"Wow... It didn't change a single bit," Jackson said as he looked everywhere.

"Sometimes things staying the same is a good thing," JB said as he slung his arm around Jackson's shoulders.

"MY SON!!!"

We looked to the side and saw Mark hyung's mother rush towards him, enveloping him in a hug.

"Hey, I'm going to go off to my house! See you all later, hyungs!" Bambam said as he made his way back home.

I wanted to go back to Youngjae's house to see Myunghee but I felt that it was more right that I went to my own house first so I did. I opened the familiar green gates and the first person I saw was my mother, preparing some kimchi. Tears started forming in my eyes as I took a step closer to her.

"Omma..." I called out nervously.

She paused for a moment before turning a little to look at me. I showed her a slight smile.

"I'm home..." I said.

Then I saw the most precious smile on her face. She got off the wooden platform and ran towards me. I wrapped my arms around her as I heard her continue to sob. We were told not to contact our families for the first two months before going back home for a short break. The company had given us mobile phones and some of the guys contacted their families first while the rest of us decided to just make it a surprise.

"Son?"

I looked up from Omma's shoulder and saw Appa looking at me with a shocked expression.

"Appa, how are you?" I asked as I bowed down.

"Oh... I'm fine... We didn't expect you to be back today," Appa said in a rather weird tone, as if he was worried.

"Yeah, well... I'm back anyway right? Listen, I would love to tell you both everything! Let me just go get Myunghee and I'll tell the three of you together!" I said excitedly as I hurried to my bicycle that was surprisingly, still in good condition.

"Jinyoung... About Myunghee..." Appa said suddenly, in a more worrying tone.

I was already sitted on my back. I turned my head to face Appa, who had a frown on his face.

"What about her?" I asked.

"Jinyoung... I'm... I'm so sorry... I---" Omma said suddenly.

However, Appa came over to her and placed his hand on her shoulder, making her stop.

"Myunghee... Myunghee's father came by a few weeks back," Appa revealed.

"What... Wait, what? That can't be... After all these years?!" I asked in disbelief.

"They left town... We hadn't heard from her since she left," Appa added.

"Jinyoung..." Omma called out but I was already cycling out.

Myunghee couldn't have left... she couldn't without saying goodbye. I arrived in front of the Choi's household and busted through the doors of the house. There, Youngjae was holding onto Angel, with a letter in his other hand.

"Hyung... She left a note..." Youngjae said, his eyes slightly red.

I walked over and snatched the paper away, just utterly confused at what was happening.

 

Sorry... I love you...

Myunghee

 

I dropped the piece of paper and rushed out the house.

"Hyung! Hyung, where are you going?! HYUNG!" I heard Youngjae shout from behind me.

I cycled all the up to the sunflower field where the sunflowers were still black and dead from the winter. I wandered around, trying to find someone who I knew had already gone yet someone who I couldn't let go. Then I just stopped walking while I was amongst the now shriveled sunflowers that used to tower over me. I had lost all my strength... to the point that even breathing was a struggle. My tears continued flowing down as my heart continued to yearn for her presence.

"MYUNGHEE!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs before falling down on my knees.

I started crying loud sobs as I repeatedly hit my chest with my fist, trying to somehow get rid of the pain.

"MYUNGHEE!!!" I screamed again... and just like the first time, there was no answer.

 

2015 (Nearing Christmas)

"So Sunflower Girl left... and I moved on," I replied.

"So she left you... just like that? I mean, from what you said about her, I'm sure she really like you as well," Younha sunbaenim said.

 

"Omma!" Cheonsa, my daughter, chirped from beside me.

"Oh! Wah! Wait, let Omma hear this, okay?" I asked as I turned the volume of the radio a little louder.

"I thought she liked me too... but I guess we were still young and we had no idea what we were doing. I'm sure she's living happily with her father... she really missed him," Jinyoung replied.

It was all a lie... about Appa taking me. The Choi family, excluding Youngjae, and Jinyoung's parents knew about me being pregnant. When I had told Jinyoung's parents, they insisted of calling Jinyoung back but I went on my knees and begged them not to. He had finally gotten a shot at living his dreams... and I wasn't going to stand in the way. I knew Jinyoung was going to come back to visit so I moved in to a small house in Seoul. Jinyoung's father and also Mr Choi would send me money every month while Mrs Choi would visit me often to take care of me. I gave birth in early June of 2013 which was earlier than expected but the baby came out fine. I had a baby girl and instantly I named her Cheonsa however, I often called her by the english meaning of her name, Angel.

 

(I will further explain in the next chapter, so don't worry if you're lost :))