Finale: Not The Last 'I Love You'

Sunflower Girl

Everyone had packed their bags and were on the way to the train station. We were in the van and Jinyoung was holding onto my hand ever so tight while Cheonsa was asleep on my lap, her head leaning against my chest. I was treasuring their closeness... because I knew I wasn't going to be able to feel the same warmth soon. Then I leaned my head slightly on Jinyoung's shoulder and he moved his arm and slung it over my shoulders, bringing me closer to him.

"You feel so cold," he whispered when my forehead touched his the side of his neck.

"Not really now," I whispered back and I saw a smile form from his lips which made me smile as well.

We were at the station and the boys thanked their manager for driving us before he went off, feeling good that he wasn't going to have any schedules to worry about for the next few days.

"Just in the nick of time, the train just arrived," Mark oppa said with a yawn.

Thus we all boarded the train. The 6 boys were sleeping in front of us with Cheonsa now in Jackson's strong arms while Jinyoung and I sat beside one another behind them.

"I'm tired," I said with a sigh and he looked at me sleepily.

"Then... go to sleep," he said, letting out a soft laugh.

"But I don't want to," I said as I leaned away and turned to look at him properly.

"Can I sleep?" he asked, his eyelids already drooping down.

"Okay," I said with a smile as he straight away fell asleep on his side as he was facing me before.

Then my smile faded as I continued to look at him and without realising, a stray tear fell down. I wiped it away in case he woke up and saw it.

"I love you... so much, Jinyoung," I whispered before falling asleep, positioning myself so we were closer.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

We arrived in Tae-Baek in the early morning and took a small bus to town seeing how everyone was too tired to walk. This time, Myunghee was asleep anf thus I carried her in my arms, almost not feeling a thing since she lost so much weight. I arrived back home and the first thing I saw was Appa and Omma sitting down on the low table which was placed in the middle of the frontyard. They looked up at me, shocked.

"... Myunghee wanted to..." I answered, not being able to say more without crying.

"Okay, son... Its okay..." Appa said reassuringly as he stood up.

"Good morning, Mr and Mrs Park," JB said from behind as he pulled our luggages.

"Oh! Thank you, Jaebum ah~ I'll give you some food for you and your family," Omma said just after opening the door to my room so I could place Myunghee down on my bed.

Just after I did so, I softly brushed some strands of her hair which was covering her face and straight away felt how cold she had gotten. Thus I placed a thick, wooly blanket over her and turned up the temperature of the heater in my room since it was winter and she was already so cold.

"Not yet... Please, not yet," I said softly as I kissed the back of her hand before leaving to properly greet Omma and Appa.

They sat down in the living room while I sat on the sofa in front of them.

"The cancer spread to her heart... Um... We just got the feeling that it was going to happen soon so Cheonsa's going to stay at Youngjae's house just in case something happens to Myunghee and she sees it," I said with a sigh and they nodded grimly.

"What are you going to do afterwards, son?" Omma asked worriedly.

"I'll be... Cheonsa's father... Jr. of GOT7... your son," I said with a sniffle.

"I'm really sorry, Jinyoung," Appa said and I nodded in reply.

"No one could've done anything about it anyway. It doesn't matter... I couldn't change anything that happened to her," I sighed.

"No, son. You changed everything about her," Appa added and I looked at him through teary eyes.

"You gave her so much love... so much hope. Whenever she's around you, she smiles so bright and its all because of the love you gave her. So maybe... maybe love can't cure cancer... but love changes lives and you did that for Myunghee when she didn't think she could ever have a normal one. Then it turned out she didn't even have a normal life, she had an extraordinary one... and all that? You did it for her so never think you never did enough because I know that she knows that you're the best change that has ever happened to her," Appa said and my tears started falling.

I bit my lip to stop them from trembling and Omma came and hugged me warmly.

"I thought I was going to be ready but I'm not... I'm still not," I cried into Omma's shoulder.

"No one can ever be ready, my son," she whispered.

 

I woke up to see that it was afternoon, 3 o'clock to be precise and I got up straight away after knowing I wasted so much time.

"Aish, Myunghee!" I scolded myself as I stumbled out of the room.

Just as I did so, I saw Jinyoung getting on his bicycle and I placed my arms on my hips.

"YAH!" I shouted and he turned around, shocked.

"Where do you think you're going without me?!" I scolded as I approached him.

He let out a laugh.

"Well, hello to you too, sunshine. We're going to Youngjae's house," he greeted sarcastically as I sat behind him.

I wrapped my arms around him and he let out a laugh.

"What?" I asked.

"I remembered you said you were more comfortable just placing your hands on my shoulders the first time you rode on my bicycle. Its just nice to see how much we changed," he said with a warm smile.

I tipptoed a little and gave him a peck on his cheek which made us both blush eventhough it wasn't our first time.

"Anyways, where are we going?" I asked and he looked at me confusedly.

"I already told you... Youngjae's house,"  he said and I bit my bottom lip.

"Ah~" I replied.

Then I saw his expression changed and he let out a sigh.

"Sorry, Myunghee. I forgot for a moment that your memory got affected," he said and I hugged him tighter.

"Its okay, Jinyoung," I replied and with that, we set off.

Youngjae's house came into view and the first thing I saw was Cheonsa happily playing with her cheeky uncles. I got off but my eyes still focused on her. I started picturing how much more beautiful she'll become as she grows. I hoped her innocence would stay as well. She suddenly turned and showed me a smile that just warmed my heart and I smiled back. She rushed towards me, hopped up a little and I caught her in mid air before carrying her. I gave her a smooch on her rosy cheek making her giggle and squirm.

"Omma~ Omma~ Omma~" she babbled, making me laugh harder.

"Angel~ Angel~ Angel~" I played along and her smile grew wider while her eye smile became cuter.

"Yah, yah, yah~ How about me?" Jinyoung asked childishly after placing his bicycle against a fence.

I placed Cheonsa down and she ran towards Jinyoung, hugging his legs quick.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

Just for an afternoon, life couldn't be more perfect. Omma and Appa had come over and were chatting well with Youngjae's parents while the rest of us were being entertained by Cheonsa's funny antics. Myunghee was right beside me, smiling and laughing while I held her hand the whole time. However, night came and... then life went back to... how life was before.

"Jinyoung?" Myunghee called out from beside me.

"... I feel really weak..." she started to say and my smile disappeared slowly.

"You know what I'm trying to say... right?" she asked, her eyes getting droopy and I nodded in reply.

"Angel ah?" I called out and she looked right at me.

"Come here, Omma wants to speak to you," I said and straight away, she hopped off of Mark hyung's lap and ran to Myunghee.

I gathered the rest at the dining area which was right at the side.

"What's up?" Jackson asked.

"... Myunghee thinks its time," I said, still in disbelief.

Everyone remained quiet but instead of being totally grim, they just nodded.

"Make the last moments count, Hyung," Yugyeom said and I nodded in reply.

 

Cheonsa sat on my lap, facing me as she played with my long hair as per usual. I stared at her, trying to remember her every feature.

"Cheonsa yah~" I called out and she looked straight into my eyes.

I started to cry and I laughed as I did so that our goodbye wouldn't seem so sad when she was going to remember it in the future.

"Omma, don't cry~" she said as she wiped away my tears clumsily with her tiny, chubby hands.

I let out a laugh and held her hands, giving them a little squeeze.

"Omma... Omma really loves you, you know that right?" I asked and she nodded.

"You are my sunshine... My only sunshine, Omma!" she chirped.

I hugged her tight and started to burst into tears yet I kept on laughing in the hope my laughter would mask my sobs.

"I love you so much, my Angel," I whispered into her ear before giving her a smooch on her cheek.

She leaned away and squeezed my cheeks with her hands before going back down on the floor to go to Bambam. Then I stood up and looked at everyone else. I smiled as I brightly as I could and let out a laugh. Without a word, Youngjae rushed forward and wrapped his arms around me and I hugged my little brother back.

"I love you, Noona," he said.

"I love you, dongsaeng," I said before pulling away to hug the rest.

When it got to Jinyoung's father, I stood there awkwardly in front of him but then he suddenly went forward and hugged he as well.

"Thank you for loving my son... and bringing in so much joy in my family. I am eternally grateful for all you have done for us," he said as he pulled away and I smiled in reply.

Then I went to Jinyoung and held his hand.

"You sure you want to come with?" I asked and he gave my hand a squeeze.

"I wouldn't want it any other way," he replied.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

Unfortunately, it was still snowing so most of the sunflowers in the field had wilted... except for one.

"Wow, this one's strong," she said with a laugh as she held onto its stem.

I stood at the other side of the sunflower, looking at her as the moonlight shone upon her face ever so beautifully.

"... Myunghee?" I called out and she looked at me.

"Not yet..." I begged and she replied with a sad smile.

Afterwards, she lied down on the ground, her eyes still on the tall sunflower.

"Come on," she said and I lied down beside her.

She slipped her hand into mine and a stray tear fell down my cheek as I could feel her pulse getting weak.

"Jinyoung ah... If... Just if... I was healthy, can you tell me how it will be like?" she asked, her voice getting weak.

"Promise you'll hear the whole thing?" I asked with a sniffle.

"Promise..." she said.

"... We'd move into the dorm because the rest wouldn't want it any other way," I said with a laugh and she laughed as well.

"That's true," she said softly.

"Then I'd marry you the moment you turn 25 afterwards we'd have more kids," I said as I laughed harder but she didn't say a word.

"... Then afterwards, life would be extraordinary and... when we grow old, we'd hold hands as we walk everywhere together... till our last breaths," I said and my smile slowly faded.

"I love you... Myunghee," I said... but there was no reply.

"I love you, Myunghee," I repeated but again, there was no response.

 

15 YEARS LATER...

"Then... you realised Omma passed away?" Cheonsa asked after sipping on her iced tea.

"Yeah..." I answered.

"Then what happened afterwards?" she asked.

"... We had a funeral the day after. Weather was great so we had it at the sunflower field. The pastor wouldn't let us bury her there so her body is buried in Seoul but every year for her birthday, we gather at her burial and place a sunfllower on top," I explained.

"... She's pretty spectacular, huh... Omma, I mean," she said and I replied with a smile.

"She is... and so is her daughter," I replied.

 

"You think she'll be proud of me?" she asked worriedly.

"I'll tell you what your mother would do... She'll scream and run around, boasting to her customers that her daughter got into JYP entertainment and that she'll become the next big thing," I said and she laughed cutely.

"Well, you have to get going right? Your training starts in like 10 minutes," I said when I looked at my watch.

"Oh!" she gasped as she looked at the time as well.

"I'll see you later, Appa! Love you!" she said as she gave me a peck on the cheek before leaving in a hurry.

"Runs like you as well, Myunghee..." I said with a chuckle.

 

FLASHBACK

Her coffin was right behind me as I stood on the platfom, in front of everyone who had attended the funeral.

"So um... Park Myunghee..." I started off, my lips already starting to tremble.

"You know... there's this quote that says, 'Life doesn't have to be perfect for love to be extraordinary' and I think that describes our love pretty well," I said.

"I had so many fears during the last few months like... the second I found out she had cancer, all that went through in my mind was how I wasn't ready to let go but then now that I'm standing here... I realised I didn't ever have to let her go... because she'll always be in my heart and my memories. Everytime I see a sunflower, I'll know she'll be near and then I'll smile as I think of her because I know she wouldn't want me to ever cry when I think about her. Then I realised my heart can never ever feel empty because she filled it up with so much warmth and love that its impossible to ever feel empty again. Plus I was so afraid of not being able to say that I love her anymore but I know now that there wouldn't ever be a last because I'll say it everyday everytime I think of her... and I know now that... she's going to be fine... and so will I," I said.

 

I looked up to the sky and let out a long sigh before smiling.

"So... I'm thinking about you, Park Myunghee, my sunflower... I love you," I said.

 

"And so do I, Jinyoung... so do I... My sunshine..."

 

THE END...

 

Little fact: Sunflowers grow towards the sun

This was why I made this story... to tell a story of a girl who had someone to look up to. I'm not saying we should just lean on someone totally but  instead to love those around you who shower you with warmth and affection. Myunghee was like a sunflower who was born in a cold environment and thus, she never met her sun until Jinyoung came. Then she grew stronger and became brighter. However, I didn't want it just be like that. Maybe its just my kiddy mind but sometimes, I'd like to think the sun loves watching sunflowers grow up to it. Thus, I wrote it in a way where both Myunghee and Jinyoung grew as they loved one another deeply. I hoped this story has moved you and my prayers go out to those who are suffering from cancer or has someone close to them who has it. My heart goes up to you and I hope this story has inspired you to spend time with your loved ones... because truth be told, no one knows when we're going to lose them. What we can do is hold onto the memories and while we still can, make more while we still can.

Thank you for reading this story and have a nice day! Happy holidays too! LOVE YOU GUYS! MUAH!