The Choice

Sunflower Girl

"Omma, tired?" Cheonsa asked me as I placed her down on the floor of her childcare centre.

"Yeah, a little..." I replied weakly as I knelt down to her eye level.

To be honest, I wasn't feeling okay at all. I was breaking into cold sweat and I felt cold and hot at the same time. My mind was blurry and so was my vision. However, I couldn't make it obvious to Cheonsa.

"Angel ah~ Have fun today, okay? And remember, be nice to everyone around you so that they'll smile with you," I said and she nodded with a smile before rushing happily into her classroom.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

"So... You revealed that you are... Park Cheonsa's biological father?" Mr Jun, one of the two asked.

"Yes," I replied firmly.

"Do you have any evidence?" the other, Mr Kang asked.

"No... but I'm more than willing to have a blood test to prove it," I replied.

"It has also been said that Miss Park is diagnosed with terminal cancer," Mr Jun said as he flipped through his notes.

I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat and coughed a few times.

"Yes," I answered, my voice cracking a little in the middle.

"And... we're guessing you'd want to take custody of Park Cheonsa when she passes on?" Mr Kang asked with his eyebrow raised.

"Yes. I know I'm not the best father in the world but no one is going to love my daughter more than me. I'd do whatever it takes to make sure she remembers that she has a father," I explained.

Eventually they said I had to go for a blood test and they'd get back to me about the results. Afterwards, they were going to see if I was fit enough to be a father eventhough they seemed pretty sure that I wasn't. I went back to the group and all eyes were on me.

"What did they say?" JB asked as he stood up worriedly while I sat down, feeling helpless.

"They seemed pretty reluctant to hand over Cheonsa to me," I said with a sigh.

Jackson placed his hand on my shoulder and let out a sigh as well.

"Well, Myunghee has a better say anyway, right?" Mark hyung asked, trying to make me feel better.

"But does Noona know?" Bambam asked and I shook my head.

"I'll tell her tonight," I said.

 

I was just wiping the table when someone knocked on the door. Slowly, I walked towards it and looked through the hole to see it was Jinyoung, smiling up into the hole making me laugh. I opened the door and as soon as it was opened, he held out a single sunflower in front of me. Just the familiar sight made me feel so bright as if I wasn't sick. I took it and smiled widely at him.

"Thank you," I managed to croak out.

"Yah... You okay?" he asked as he gave me a quick peck on my forehead.

"Just a little sick today," I answered.

"A little?" he asked as he placed his hand on my cheeks and then forehead.

"You're having a fever. Come on, I have to take you to the hospital," he said, holding onto my hand.

"Hey... Hey..." I said as I pulled him closer.

I leaned my forehead on his chest as I wrapped my arms around him.

"I'm fine. I just want to stay here with you," I said softly.

"So stubborn," he muttered under his breath as he hugged me back.

"... Social services came today to see me," he said suddenly.

I leaned away and unwrapped my arms around him.

"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly.

"Yeah, I'm fine but... I want to tell you something," he said as he held my hand and led me to the sofa.

I placed the flower on the coffee table just beside the sofa before we sat down.

"Okay... go," I said as I sat cross-legged and turned to face him.

"Okay," he said as he did the same.

"They asked me to do a blood test to prove that I'm Cheonsa's father," he started off.

"Oh... You don't want to do that?" I asked, not sure where he was getting at.

"No! No, I'd be more than happy to do it. Then, they asked if I was interested in becoming Cheonsa's legal guardian after you... pass on," he said carefully.

"Oh..." I replied, not knowing what else to say.

"Yeah... and... I told them I wanted to," he continued on.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

Her face changed instantly and I couldn't tell whether that was bad or good. I waited for a few more seconds and then finally she blinked her eyes.

"Wait, you want to take care of her?" she asked.

"Yes... I mean, I know you placed my parents as her guardians but I feel that---" I said halfway when suddenly she jumped onto me, making me fall back onto the sofa.

"THAT'S GREAT!" she exclaimed as she tilted her head up and smiled at me.

I laughed at her, grateful and way more than relieved she wanted it that way too.

"So you don't mind?" I asked.

"OBVIOUSLY NOT. Jinyoung, you're her father. I don't want Cheonsa to grow up like me. Every child needs their parents," she replied as she rested her chin on my chest.

Ecstatic, I placed my arms around her and swung her to my side so that now we were leaning on our sides and looking at one another. Thankfully she was tiny and there was enough space for the both of us. I held her close and leaned in closer to her, our foreheads and noses touching.

"Can we stay like this forever?" she whispered, making me smile.

"Hold on, let me ask God," I replied mischievously.

She pinched my arm and I winced slightly before laughing. Then she rested her head in the crook of my neck and I held her tighter, still afraid of letting her go.

"I love you, Jinyoung," she said with a yawn.

I looked at the sunflower which was resting on the table and sighed, knowing how even the most beautiful, precious things had a due date.

"I love you, Myunghee," I replied as I drifted off to sleep.