The Start

Sunflower Girl

2011...

JINYOUNG'S POV

I was whistling the same tune I do everyday. I was on my bike, on my way to school, taking in the beautiful scenery of the sunflower fields that I always pass by. I heard the school bell ring and quickened my pace. By the time I locked my bicycle, the second bell had rung, signalling everyone to settle down in their seats. I rushed up the flights of stairs and rushed into my classroom, relieved that my form teacher hadn't arrived yet.

"Wow, this is a first, man~" my friend, JB said as he looked at me.

"Woke up later than usual," I replied as I high fived my friends, JB and Jackson.

"You're lucky Bulldog hasn't come yet," Jackson said, refering to our form teacher who resembled a bulldog since he never smiled.

I laughed as a response. I had a group of friends in my school, a group of 7. There was Mark hyung, who was in the level above me, JB and Jackson who were in the same class as I was, Youngjae who was two levels lower and Bambam and Yugyeom who were three levels lower. There was a 1 month KPOP bootcamp in our hometown just a while back and we all attended it. After the bootcamp, my dream about being an artist grew and not only that, I gained 6 other brothers who shared the same dream as me.

Then lessons started as per usual, me listening and jotting down notes like any good student would. In all honesty, I didn't really like studying... I was just doing it because Appa and Omma wanted me to. My goal was to make them proud and then have them give me permission to leave Tae-Baek, which was located in Gangwon-do, to go to Seoul, where my dreams could finally become reality.

"Now! For your assignment, I want all of you to write an essay about something that makes you happy. You could talk about how much your phone makes you happy... maybe someone or a specific memory. Write between 300 words to 500 words and write well because it will be graded. Class dismissed," Bulldog announced, like many times before, without any expression on his face, ironically since he touched on the subject of happiness.

"I take rap!" Jackson chirped as he faced JB and me.

"I take dance!" JB continued on.

They high fived, leaving me sad and out of ideas.

"Now what am I supposed to write on?!" I whined.

Those two just shrugged and laughed as I started stressing on what to write.

 

I sat on the floor, leaning my back against the side of my bed, waiting for the sound that announced my freedom. The engine of the tractor roared loudly, I looked out the window and saw that my uncle was leaving to go about his business with the other farmers. I smiled brightly as I went over to where my makeup was, covering my bruises with some foundation and powder. After half an hour, I rushed out of the house, running past the horses and the cattle in my white dress. As I ran, I closed my eyes, feeling the wind brush my skin softly.

"Myunghee ah!" Mr Kim, the local butcher greeted as he carried a huge chuck of meat over his shoulder.

"HELLO!" I exclaimed happily as I kept on running.

"Mrs Park! I like what you did with your hair!" I chirped as I ran past her.

"Thank you, Myunghee!" she shouted behind me.

After about 15 minutes of running, I finally stopped and looked around me in wonder and fascination.

"Eeekkk!!!" I squealed in excitement as I ran into the field of sunflowers.

I stopped and lied down when I felt far enough from home. I looked up comfortably as the petals of the sunflowers made the sunlight less bright, casting a warm, yellow glow. Peace surrounded me and just like that, I fell asleep.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

The 7 of us were lucky enough to have recess at the same time everyday. We always sat at the same table and one more thing in common for us was... our insane love for food, JB and Mark hyung being the more serious case.

"Guys... Lets all talk and eat at the same time, yes?" Jackson asked, staring at JB and Mark hyung easily devouring their second plate of rice.

"Ah yes, I heard about your assignment. Something happy right?" Youngjae asked before calmly eating his food.

"Yes! These two monkeys here stole the two things that make me happy! Now what am I supposed to write?!" I complained.

"Well... You like taking photos... Just write about that," Yugyeom suggested.

I stared at him... realising how dumb I was. I responded with a dorky laugh and Yugyeom looked at me in disbelief.

"Hyung, what would you do without me?" Yugyeom asked as he kicked my foot below the table.

"YAH!" I yelled as I kicked his feet back.

LATER ON...

I was cycling on my way back home when I passed by the sunflower field and I halted. Then I got inspiration for my essay... the sunflower field always kept me smiling on the way to school. I cycled down a few slopes and placed my bike down onto the soft patch of grass beside the sunflower field.

"Wah~ They're so tall~" I said in awe as I looked up to see that some of them were slightly taller than me.

I took my camera out of my backpack and started taking pictures. Through my lenses, all I saw was a sea of greens and yellows... then I saw something else... someone else.

"Did you just take a picture of me?" the girl asked as she stared at me curiously.

I held my camera lower, not breaking eye contact with her.

"No..." I lied.

She tilted her head and approached me slowly. I stepped back, somewhat afraid eventhough she was smaller than me.

"I've never seen you here," she said, as she continued to stare into my eyes.

It was creeping me out. She was pretty, beautiful in fact... but she was scaring the heck out of me.

"I've... never seen you here before as well," I said timidly as I turned back to go to my bicycle.

However, she continued to walk beside me.

"Why did you come here?" she asked.

"Um... To take pictures," I answered briefly.

"Oh... Okay! Bye!" she exclaimed rather randomly, exiting from her stalker-like character.

I paused and looked behind to see her skipping happily.

"What the heck..." I mumbled to myself, suddenly intrigued by her.

 

"That boy seems nice," I said to myself as I continued to walk about amongst the tall sunflowers.

"I never caught your name, Sunflower Girl!"

I turned around and saw him walking towards me.

"Its Myunghee~" I said as I turned back around and continued walking.

I heard him follow me from behind.

"I'm Jinyoung!" he said.

"Hello, Jinyoung!" I replied as I continued looking up at the yellow petals that protected me.

"Do you want to talk?" he asked.

"I don't talk much," I answered.

"Well, there's always a first right?"' he asked.

I stopped walking and turned to face him. He seemed... different.

"I'm good at being alone though," I said.

"No one is good at being alone," he said, his hands in his pockets.

I looked at him from top to bottom. He was weird.

"... I don't trust you," I said.

"Do you come here everyday?" he asked and I nodded hesitantly.

"Well, I'll come here everyday and when you're ready, we can talk. I have to go now... but I'll see you tomorrow! Bye!" he chirped as he headed back out.

I continued staring at him until he disappeared.

"Strange..." I thought to myself.