My Friend

Sunflower Girl

I was probably a really evil person in my past life... because no one deserves to have the life I have. My mother found out she had brain cancer and she died when I was young. My father struggled taking care of me to the point when... I guess he gave up. The last image I had of him was the back of his lorry as he left me with my uncle who I hardly knew. Then that was when my whole life turned into a living nightmare. In the day, he'd be busy and he'd go out to town and meet with the other farmers... but once he got back home and night, he'd hurt me. At first he'd just shout then he started calling me names, then later as I got older, he physically abused me, slapping me, punching me... hitting my legs with his leather belt. He'd pass out from exhaustion around an hour later and I'd be at peace. I used to think I'd get used to it and I did... but I never stopped crying. Eventhough the pain was normal, I still cried and I didn't knoww why. Maybe it was because a part of me still wabted to believe that one day it would all stop.

My uncle threw another beer bottle at me as I picked up the shattered pieces of glass on the floor. I dodged it and it shattered right beside me, some of its pieces pierced through my hands. I held my hand close to me, crying silently. He then held onto my ponytail and pulled on it hard and then pushed me back down into the floor. I continued sobbing, knowing that he didn't like it if I cried out loud.

"Aish... The plague your father left me... Pfft," he said ruthlessly as he finally went out to his tractor.

stood up clumsily, since I had lost too much strength in my legs and walked towards the window. I made sure his tractor was out of sight before walking back slowly to my room to cover up my bruises aand scars with foundation and powder.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

"So you're meeting that girl later?" Mark hyung asked and I nodded with a smile.

"Ei~ She doesn't exist, right?" Bambam asked, doubting me.

"Ei, Hyung~ Girls don't usally go for you~" Yugyeom teased.

I glared at him.

"WHAT?! Yah, Kim Yugyeom. I~ The reason why I don't have any girlfriends is because I don't believe in love," I argued.

Yugyeom replied with an exaggerated evil laugh and I poured his seaweed soup on my rice bowl as immature pat back. He looked up at me with his sad, puppy eyes.

"Aigoo~ Yah, maknae! You should treat your hyungs better," Youngjae said as he generously gave his bowl of seaweed soup to Yugyeom.

"They always bully me!" Yugyeom argued.

"They always bully me~" the rest of us said mockingly.

"See!" Yugyeom said to Youngjae as he pointed at us.

"Yah, we do it out of love our maknae!" JB said as he ran his fingers through Yugyeom's hair roughly.

LATER ON...

It was after school and as I promised to Myunghee, I cycled my way to the sunflower field. I stayed on the side of the road, looking down at an angle at the sunflower field, hoping to see her there.

"Maybe she isn't coming anymore~" I said to myself.

"Hello!"

I jumped backwards and turned around to see Myunghee.

"You really came!" she chirped.

"Uh... Yeah, I said I would," I replied nervously.

Then just like that, she skipped off, going down to the sunflower field. I laughed in disbelief at her bright and innocent personality.

"Hey! Wait up!" I called after her as I ran down.

 

"So what do you do here?" he asked.

"Just walk around," I answered.

"Isn't it boring?" he asked.

"Nope!" I replied.

I heard him laugh and I turned to face him.

"Why did you laugh?" I asked.

"Because you're adorable. Lets go to the town instead!" he suggested.

I took a step back, wary of him.

"Come on. I won't do anything... besides I can't do anything because there are a lot of people at the town area," he said, trying to comfort me.

I scanned him from head to toe and didn't really see him as a threat so I decided to let my defenses down... a little.

"Okay..." I said reluctantly and he flashed me a bright smile.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

We went up back to the road where I had leaned my bicycle at the metal sides. I sat on it and turned to the side to see Myunghee just staring at my bicycle.

"Why?" I asked, concerned.

"I've... never ridden a bicycle before," she said timidly.

I let out a chuckle and shook my head in disbelief yet again.

"Its okay, sit on the seat behind me and hold onto me tight," I said.

"But what if we fall?" she asked as she the seat behind me.

"I won't let you get hurt. Don't worry. I cycle everyday," I said, trying to get her on the bicycle.

After a few more seconds of staring at the seat, she sat on it and held onto my sleeves.

"You might want to put your arms around me. You'll feel safer," I said.

".... I'm comfortable this way," she replied.

I pressed my lips together firmly. She was tougher than I thought.

"Okay~ Hold on tight," I said.

 

We passed by other farms and fields. It was different than before whenever I see them. I'd past by the same things but I wouldn't even pay attention to them because I'd just want to get to the sunflower field as fast as possible. The wing felt different as well... it was cooler. I closed my eyes as I felt the wind against my face and hair.

"I hear you laughing," Jinyoung said suddenly, taking me back to reality.

"I've never felt this happy before," I replied.

I heard him laugh.

"Well, if you ever want a ride... just anywhere, let me know," he said as he continued cycling.

"Wow... So that's how the town looks like," I said as we slowed down.

He stopped the bike and he took in a deep breath. We both dsmounted the bicycle and stood at the side of the quiet road, just looking at the picturesque scenery.

"Have you ever seen Seoul?" he asked as he looked at me.

I shook my head in reply.

"Its nicer," he said.

"What does Seoul look like?" I asked out of curiousity.

"There are more people, thousands of shops and nice clothes. Its always busy and bursting with life... at least thats what I heard from my relatives who have gone there," he said. a shint of sadness in his voice.

"You'd prefer going there than staying here?" I asked.

"Way more..." he answered.

I looked back at the town.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

"If only I could leave..." she said.

I looked back at her again. Her eyes looked moist, as if she was about to cry.

"I thought you liked being here," I said, recalling how happy she usually was.

"I like the sunflowers field... the farms, the friendly people who always smile at me... but I hate everything else," she said.

I continued looking at her, intrigued by the side of her that I hadn't seen before. At that moment, I wanted so much to pull her in and hug her, just to let her know she could cry. However, she suddenly cleared and smiled at me, as if she wasn't sad just a few seconds ago.

"Lets go! Could we just walk instead?" she exclaimed.

I laughed again and nodded. She walked down the road first, the stopped to wait for me. I held onto the handles of my bicycle and rushed down to walk beside her.

 

We were inside a small supermarket located in the middle of town. I saw some familiarv faces and greeted them happily.

"Oh! You're here!" Mrs Park greeted as she approached me.

I nodded countless times before bowing to her.

"Are you here alone?" she asked.

Just before I could answer, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up behind me and saw Jinyoung.

"Hello, Mrs Park," he greeted politely as he bowed down.

I looked back at Mrs Park and then pointed at Jinyoung.

"I'm with him!" I amswered.

"Ah~ I see~ Well, Jinyoung ah. Take care of her!" Mrs Park said as she went off her way.

Just then, something caught my eye. I had always seen commercials of sparkling water on the television and I had always wanted to drink just one can. I approcahed the refridgerator section and continued staring at it.

"Do you want one?" Jinyoung asked from beside me.

I looked up at him, my eyes wide with excitement.

"CAN I?!" I shouted.

Jinyoung then looked around everywhere, taken aback and I looked around to see some people staring at me. I just looked at them and bowed down, embarassed.

"Sure... Take one,'' he said.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

"Ah~" I sounded after drinking a sip from my can of sparkling water.

I turned and saw Myunghee, tracing her fingers over the cooled can, playing with the water droplets.

"Come. Let me open it," I said as I took it from her.

With a pop sound, it opened and I gave it back to her.

"Thank you~" she said as she took a sip from it.

"DAEBAK!!!" she yelled.

I started laughing hilariously at her reaction.

LATER ON...

We were at a nearby barbeque place, eating dinner since we were hungry and it was already sunset.

She was incredibly hilarious and fun to hang out with. It was weird, how we interacted. She found me weird and I found her weird. In all honesty, I didn't mind her not telling me anything about her... I just didn't want to stop being around her.

"Mmmmm~ Its all so good~" she said as she finished chewing her last piece of meat.

I had finished mine and I couldn't help but just look at her. She was eating it so adorably, making me smile. Then she noticed me looking at her and there was an awkward atmosphere surrounding us. We both cleared our throats.

"So... You've never had barbequed meat or sparkling water before?" I asked and she shook her head.

"No wonder you're so thin," I said, looking at her skinny arms.

She kept on looking outside and I saw the usual twinkle in her eyes vanish slowly as the day got darker.

"We should go home. Your parents might be worried," I said as we left the shop.

"... Its uncle and... he's not really the type that worries," she replied.

"Ah~ I guess he's the rugged type. My father doesn't express his affection well also but just know that your uncle loves you," I said.

She nodded back hesitantly.

"I'll take you back home. Hop on!" I said as I got on my bicycle.

 


"I prefer to walk home," I said.

I just made a new friend. If he met my uncle, he might not want to be friends anymore.

"Come on~ I can't let a girl walk home alone at night," he said.

"Um..." I said, trying ti find another excuse.

"... I want... I want to hang out with you longer that's why I want to send you home," he coonfessed.

I bit my lip and thought hard. I would get hurt either way... so I hopped on.

"Could you cycle slowly?" I asked and he nodded.

We reached my house in just 10 minutes eventhough I knew he cycled slowly. I got of the bicycle with a heavy heart. I looked at Jinyoung who was smiling brightly at me. I wished I could tell him everything... I just didn't want to lose a friend.

"Goodnight then," he said.

"Goonight..." I said before walking towards my house.

"Myunghee ah!" he called out.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

"We're... hanging out again tomorrow, right?" I asked, hoping she'd say yes.

She continued looking at me. Then a saw her smile slightly and she replied with a nod.

"Do you want me to pick you up from here tomorrow?" I asked.

"No! Um... I mean... the sunflower field is better," she answered.

"Oh... Okay then! Tomorrow!" I said.

"Tomorrow," she repeated with a smile.

"Go on in then," I said.

She shook her head.

"You leave first," she said.

"Okay... See you, Myunghee!" I said happily as I cycled back.

 

"See you, Jinyoung..." I sighed sadly before entering the house, preparing myself for a world of pain.