I Fell In Love

Sunflower Girl

JINYOUNG'S POV

I cycled back home as fast as I could, knowing Omma and Appa were going to wreck havoc on the whole village if I wasn't home by 9pm. I reached home and opened the green gate to see Omma washing some kimchi in her metal basin. She looked up at me and smiled.

"Where were you?" she asked.

I walked over and gave her a peck on the forehead.

"Just cycling around the village," I said, revealing half the truth.

"Appa is inside the living room," Omma said.

I bit my lip, reluctant on greeting him eventhough I knew I had to.

"Jinyoung ah... Your father loves you. He may be... more conservative than other fathers but he loves you all the same," Omma said.

Appa had wanted a son that would continue working on the farm after he passed on. When I told him I wanted to go to Seoul for my music career, he became more stern with me. He had been wanting to have me stay so he told me if I got first in my school when I graduate, I'd be able to go. Before that deal was made, I was one of the weakest students so that was why he thought I wouldn't be able to make it. Being an artists wasn't just a childhood dream for me... I believed that it was my fate to become one.

"Appa... How are you?" I greeted with a bow when I walked into the living room.

"Oh, Jinyoung ah," Appa greeted back.

I went to the kitchen, counting down from 5, knowing we'd start our daily arguments.

"3... 2... 1..." I counted quietly.

"You still chasing that dream of yours?" he asked.

I looked up to the ceiling and sighed.

"Everyday," I replied.

"Jinyoung, you have responsibilities here," he said.

I walked out of the kitchen to see him standing up and facing me. I shook my head and sighed again.

"When are you going to understand that your life is not the life I want for myself?" I argued.

"And when are you going to realise that you're being ungrateful?!" he yelled.

"Ungrateful?" I repeated.

"Yeah, I know Omma took care of me, changing my diapers and you go out and break your back working for the three of us. I know the sacrifices you two did and I am forever grateful. I have never once been ungrateful to you and Omma. Everyday I work hard at school and when there isn't school I help out at the farm and also at home. While my friends are enjoying themselves, dancing and singing, I'm either busy studying at home, cleaning the house or harvesting the crops. I did all that without asking for anything except for your blessing to let me get a shot at living my dream. I'm sorry that I'm the only son you have and I can't take over the family business. You didn't get the son you wanted but I'm sorry, this here is what you get. You're my father and I will always respect you... Why can't you do the same for me?" I vented.

He just looked away and shook his head.

"I'm going to shower," I said before storming off.

"Jinyoung ah..." I heard Omma call out from behind me but I just shut the door behind me.

LATER ON...

Omma and Appa were fast asleep when I changed into my pyjamas. I went to their room and kissed their foreheads to wish them goodnight. Then I came back to my room and turned the lightbulb above my table on. I opened my assessment book on Mathematics, my pencil already in my hand yet I couldn't start. My eyes were on the sums while my mind was on Myunghee. I recalled how we first met, when I saw her at the sunflower field in her white dress, how she seemed so curious yet so wary. Then I smiled to myself how she smiled whenever she looked at me, how she reacted when everything around her was so new to her and I recalled how her eyes got teary when we were looking down at the town... how drawn I was to her. Then I remembered the promise we made that night, that we'd meet the next day. My smile grew wider a little just at the thought of meeting her.

"Tomorrow..." I said to myself before starting on my work.

 

NEXT MORNING...

I was lying down on my bed, feeling the worst I could ever be which I thought was impossible. Last night was the toughest one yet... and I knew it wasn't even going to be the last. It was to the point that even if I moved the slightest inch, my whole body would be in more pain so I stayed put. A tear trickled down my right eye, staining my white pillow. I knew I couldn't go out... and I hoped with all my heart that Jinyoung was going to forget our promise to meet up.

"Please just forget me..." I sighed to myself as I closed my eyes and felt another tear trickle down my cheek.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

"Wow... so you two went on a date?" JB asked.

"Well, I'd prefer to call it outing," I said.

"Come on! You like her!" Jackson exclaimed as he smiled brightly and smacked my arm.

"No, I don't!... We're just friends," I said, trying to make it clear.

They both stood beside one another and looked at me ironically.

"Yeah, right~" they said in unison.

I rolled my eyes and we continued making our way to the canteen.

LATER ON...

We were all leaving school when I saw Myunghee waiting under a tree. She was looking about, looking at the students who walked passed her. I paused and the 6 of them paused at my sides as well.

"Why? Why?" Bambam asked.

"Why did we stop?" Mark hyung asked.

I pointed towards Myunghee.

"That's her..." I sighed as I slowly approached her.

"Her?" I heard from behind me.

"Myunghee ah!" I called out.

She turned to look at me and smiled at me slightly.

 

I couldn't stand picturing him waiting for me alone at the sunflower field. Thus I quickly got ready and made my way slowly to the village's high school.

"Hi..." I greeted weakly.

"Hi," he greeted back with a smile.

"I'm sorry. I know we're supposed to meet at the sunflower field but... We're still hanging out right?" I asked, changing the subject.

He didn't seem to notice as he nodded.

"Lets go eat!" I said, after feeling my tummy growl.

"Hahaha! Sure," he said with that he sat on his bicycle.

Before I sat on, I noticed 6 other guys watching us, talking amongst themselves.

"Are they your friends?" I asked.

He turned behind and laughed when he saw them.

"Yup! I'll introduce you to them another time," he said.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

We were at the same meat barbeque place because she told me she liked it so much. For some reason, she wasn't as bubbly as the day before and she walked a little slower as well.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked as she chomped on a wrap she made.

"I'm fine~" she replied with full.

I didn't have to eat because just watching her eat gave me this weird satisfaction... as if I was already full and happy.

All of a sudden, she held out a piece of meat in front of me with her chopsticks. I raised an eyebrow at her.

"You didn't eat anything yet. Isn't it delicious?" she asked innocently.

I couldn't help but smile and I laughed a little.

"Its okay~ Just eat," I said but she stretched her arm out further.

I smile widened and I leaned forward to eat it. A satisfied smile appeared on her face as she smiled at me eating.

I tilted my head slightly as I continued looking at her. I didn't understand why I could just look at her all day. It was like an addiction... but without any side effects other than buttterflies fluttering around in my stomach.

 

It was dark out and I bit my bottom lip, not wanting to part with Jinyoung.

"We should get going," he said as he stood up.

I stood up as well but held onto his wrist. He turned around and looked at me, a look of concern on his face.

"If... you could... could we... could we go to the sunflower field for awhile?" I asked, timidly as I felt myself starting to shiver with fear at the thought of going home.

"Yeah, sure,'' he said and we went out of the shop.

I sat behind him on his bicycle, looking at the beautiful moon rising slowly above the whole town. He cycled up until he saw the sunflower field and we stopped. It was 10pm and you saw a worried look on Jinyoung's face.

"Jinyoung, you could go back home if you want to. I wouldn't mind," I said.

He snapped his head towards me and laughed nervously.

"How can I leave a girl alone at night?" he said as he sat down near the sunflower field.

We laid down on the soft patch of grass amongst the tall sunflowers, looking up to see the moon.

"I don't do this a lot... but can I talk about myself?" I asked.

"Sure, I'd love to hear more about you," Jinyoung replied.

"I was born on 23rd September 1994..." I said.

"You're kidding!" he exclaimed suddenly.

I looked to my right and saw him staring at me, wide eyed.

"I'm born just one day earlier!" he said happily.

I smiled at him before looking up to the sky.

"When I was young, my mother found out she had brain cancer and a few months later she died. My father raised me up for a couple of years but he couldn't deal with my mother's death and take care of me so he left me at my uncle's," I confessed.

I was about to talk about the abuse... but I decided to keep that a secret. I didn't want him to do anything that could help me... because helping me would hurt him.

"I'm so sorry..." Jinyoung replied.

I shook my head.

"You don't have to... You're the only one that stays unconditionally," I said with a sad smile.

I cleared my throat, feeling the atmosphere around us change.

"How about you?" I asked.

"Me? My name is Park Jinyoung, born on 22 September 1994. Farming was all I knew how to do until I watched a commercial where people were dancing and I knew then... eventhough I was small, I knew what I was born to do. I grew up loving dancing and singing eventhough all I did was farming. Then I met other friends who shared the same passion as me and I had brothers. My Appa... doesn't want me to pursue a career in the music industry so he said that if I graduate with the number one placing in my school, I could then go to Seoul and achieve my dream," he confessed.

I smiled, hearing someone talk about somthing so passionately. I envied Jinyoung for being able to dream big when I couldn't.

"However, other than cycling everywhere and dancing and singing, I love photography and composing songs with my guitar," he added.

"Wah~ Next time, you should play me one of your songs," I suggested as I looked at him.

He looked at me and smiled.

"Of course. Maybe I'd even write a song about you," he said.

We smiled at one another and as we did... I started falling in love with the way he looked at me. I bit my lip and looked back up, feeling a mix of emotions. I was happy about being able to feel this happy after so long... but I felt sad, knowing I wasn't supposed to be this happy. As feeling this happy could lead to other consequences.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

I continued looking at her and I saw her smile... yet at the same time, I saw her eyes getting teary. I saw the blurred reflection of the stars in her eyes and unknowingly, I was captivated by her. Then I felt my heart flutter and I knew I fell in love... an emotion I never believed in until I met Myunghee.

"I never said it before..." she said suddenly.

"What?" I asked, still looking at her.

"... Thank you... for staying," she said.

 

(LOL should I now update Bambam's story or this story tomorrow? Hahahah!)