'You'

Sunflower Girl

"The 'you' you are now, is the same 'you' I loved yesterday and the same 'you' I'll love tomorrow" - If I stay (Adam)

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

I was back at home. I didn't manage to catch up with Myunghee as I had lost sight of her however I did pay a visit to Youngjae's house and he said she was inside. Not being able to focus on my work, I rushed over to the living room and dialed Youngjae's home number on the telephone.

"Hello?" Youngjae asked.

"Youngjae ah, its me. How's Myunghee?" I asked in a rush.

"She's fine. We got her out of the bathroom and she's inside her room. She didn't say what happened though. Do you have any idea why she suddenly behaved that way?" Youngjae asked.

"I partly know the reason... I'm not quite sure... but she's fine, right? She's safe?" I asked.

"Yes, Hyung, she is. Look, my mother just prepared dinner and we're all going to start eating. If you want to see how she's doing, you can just come over here tomorrow," he said.

"Ah... Okay, sure. Thanks, Youngjae," I said before hanging up.

"Myunghee?"

I turned to the side to see Appa and Omma eating at the table. I sighed in frustration.

"Who's Myunghee?" Omma asked.

"A friend I made a few days ago," I replied vaguely.

"Like a special friend?" Appa asked, his tone serious.

"If special friend means someone I really care about then yes, she is a special friend," I said, getting annoyed.

"... Is she a bad influence like the rest of your friends?" Appa asked, striking a nerve in me.

"Yeobo," Omma said softly yet harshly to Appa but what he said already crossed the line for me.

"Bad influence? At least they support me in everything I do unlike you!" I argued, not able to hold back anymore.

"YAH! After you started hanging out with those friends of yours and also now SOME GIRL, you've been disobeying me!" Appa yelled.

"WELL SHE'S 'SOME GIRL' THAT IS WORTH MORE THAN YOU!" I screamed angrily at the top of my lungs.

"PARK JINYOUNG!" Omma scolded as she stood up.

"No! You can insult me all you want! You can hurt me until all my confidence and my pride is gone! BUT YOU CANNOT TALK ABOUT MY FRIENDS AS IF THEY'RE NOTHING BECAUSE THEY'RE THE ONLY REASON I'M STAYING!" I fought back.

I was met with a slap across my face. I held my hand to my cheek and glared up at Appa who had slapped me. His expression went from fury to regret almost instantly.

"Jinyoung..." Omma called out but I rushed back to my room.

 

THE NEXT MORNING...

"Myunghee ah..."

I looked up to see Jinyoung, for the first time not wearing his uniform. I wiped away my tears and cleared my throat but I remained sitting down on the ground.

"How did you know I was here?" I asked.

I wasn't at the sunflower field as I knew he'd search for me there. Instead, I was at the harbour where almost no one goes to except those with boats. He approached me and sat down beside me. I saw is left cheek was a bit swollen and I held out my hand to it slightly. When I did he turned to look at me and I quickly jerked my hand away but he held onto my wrist fast, catching me offguard.

"Its okay... I like it..." he said as he placed my hand back on his cheek.

He looked back to the front and I saw his eyes getting teary.

"Is it my fault?" I asked.

He laughed a little and looked at me.

"What if it was?" he asked teasingly.

"Yah... I'm serious," I said, trying to sound firm but his smile grew wider.

"So am I. What are you going to do if I got slapped because of you?" he asked.

"... What do you want me to do?" I asked.

"... Tell me why you have those bruises," he said, sounding serious this time.

I looked away and stood up. He followed suit.

"Tell me who was it," he said.

I shook my head as I felt my tears coming again. I started walking away when I heard him speak again.

"Was it your uncle?!" he called out.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

She stopped a few feet in front of me and I saw that she had her hands up, probably wiping away her tears. She turned around and I saw that she used some of her tears to wipe away the foundation on a part of her right arm. She held it out and I saw faint scratch marks and also faded bruises.

"These aren't even the worst..." she said as she continued sobbing.

I let out a sad sigh and I walked towards her slowly, not once breaking eye contact. Once I was right in front of her, she took a step back, like she was afraid that I'd hurt her like her uncle.

"I won't hurt you like he did," I said and she nodded.

"I know..." she said.

"Then why did you take a step back?" I asked.

"Because I don't want you to be with me," she answered as I saw a tear fall from her right eye.

"Well I want to be with you... Do you not want to be with me?" I asked and she shook her head.

"I do... that's why I don't want you with me," she answered.

"Myunghee, I don't understand. You have to explain to me," I said.

"I'm not supposed to be happy, okay?! My mother found out she had cancer the day after I received what I had wanted for my birthday. My father left the day I got my first chocolate bar. My uncle started hitting me harder when I finally met you! I've been so happy... and I know something bad is going to happen and I don't want you around when that happens!" she yelled.

 

I held my hands up and covered my face so that Jinyoung wouldn't see me crying so badly. Yet then I felt his hands on mine and he placed my hands down. He placed his hands on my cheeks and wiped away my tears, calming me down. He leaned in towards me and laid a kiss upon my forehead. I closed my eyes and relaxed as his lips lingered on my forehead. A few seconds later, he leaned away and I opened my eyes to see him smile warmly at me. He placed a few strands on my hair behind my ear and shook his head.

"I don't know why I love you so much... but I love loving you," he said.

"Jinyoung, I---" I said halfway when he interupted me.

"And it might take a while for me to figure out the reason why I do love you," he said suddenly.

"Jinyoung, you're not listening," I said.

"And neither are you," he said, taking me aback.

"Look at me," he said and I did.

"You make me just as happy as when I dance and sing. I have never had anyone make me feel that way before," he said.

"For the past 17 years, you had been abused in so many ways to the point you think that no one is ever going to be happy with you but you're wrong... because you make me happy. You make me happy, Myunghee... now let me make you happy too," he said.

"How can you still feel the same way about me when I look different to what I was like before?" I asked.

"Because the 'you' you are now is the same 'you' I loved yesterday and the same 'you' I'll love tomorrow," he answered.

 

JINYOUNG'S POV

"How can you be so sure?" she asked.

"I'm not... I'm just really hopeful," I replied honestly.

She took once last look at me before looking away. She sighed and looked back at me.

"You're never going to leave me alone, huh?" she asked with a slight smile.

"Nope!" I answered and her smile grew wider.

 

(HEY GUYS! SO SCHOOL IS STARTING SOON AGAIN FOR ME AND UNFORTUNATELY, WHEN IT DOES START, I WILL BE WRITING ONLY TWO TO THREE TIMES A WEEK AS MY SCHEDULE IS PRETTY HECTIC. THANK YOU AND SORRY!)