Welcome Back

Sempiternal

Welcome Back

I am certain that if any other of us had gone to Africa for six months, we wouldn't be this excited. Even Taekyung looks enthusiastic and ready to jump, but I know him and I'm positive the moment he sees her he'll pretend everything is calm and he's barely missed her. I don't know how he can be like that. I know that if I were the lucky one by her side I would always show her how much she means to me, I would always reassure her. I wouldn't mind making a fool of myself as long as she never feels insecure by my side.

Jeremy, at my side, looks like a puppy that knows its owner is about to come home. He can't stand still with all the exhilaration running through his veins and seeing him makes me smile faintly. I haven't talked to him about it but I sometimes wonder if he still has feelings for Minyu. He also fell in love with the girl who came into our lives pretending to be her twin brother. Maybe he moved on, or maybe he's like me who can't get rid of these feelings for a girl who'll never look in my direction.

Minam, on the other hand, looks as comfortable as ever, as if nothing of this bothers him. He keeps the cool image even when his sister is about to come back. 

I keep my hands in my pockets because I don't want anyone to see how I can't stop fidgeting, willing time to go faster so I can see her once and for all.

We are all sitting and just waiting, trying to go unnoticed so our eyes are normally on the floor, avoiding all eye contact. I occasionally take my mobile out just to check the time and make sure she's getting closer. I don't expect her to call me the moment her plane lands, she'll surely call Taekyung, but I still hope.

Silly me, No matter what, a small piece of me is always hoping. What a fool optimistic.

"Minyu!" Jeremy shouts before anyone can take in notice of what's happening. As he catches us all off guard we can't stop him before he sprints towards Minyu to squeeze her in a tight hug. He's allowed to do that, or at least he has an excuse for his behaviour. I stare at his figure embracing her with jealousy in the pit of my stomach because I'm not allowed to do the same no matter how much I want to. Even if I'm Minyu's closest friend, I still can't go and just hug her like Jeremy does.

Taekyung ends my agony by grabbing Jeremy by the collar and pulling him apart from a now fairly suffocated girl. She laughs when she sees Jeremy whining because he can't show his affection. "Remember you're in Korea, not in the UK," Taekyung scolds Jeremy and the blond boy pouts childishly.

Minyu only giggles and my eyes are on her, diving into every detail. I haven't seen her in months and she's changed a lot yet she's the same person. Her smile is the same even if her hair is longer now, touching her shoulders, even if her skin is tanner or even if she's dressed like a girl. Up to now there're only a handful of times that I've seen her dressed like a girl and the sight is always breathtaking. I kind of prefer her dressed as a guy because it's easier to take it, hence easier for me to control myself.

"Hello there, nuna," Minam intervenes in my staring to his sister. He gives her a hug and I still feel a bit jealous that he can do that, but it's not the same as with Jeremy. "Missed you loads. Did you have a good flight?" he asks and Minyu nods vigorously.

"Go Minyu," Tarkyung speaks up, his loud and firm voice so characteristic of his arrogant personality. "Welcome back."

Although his words are cold and sharp, he's smiling at her and I know that's all what she sees. She doesn't care that he can't utter affectionate words or what he really feels, she's satisfied with just a smile. I've always thought she deserves better than that.

Minyu smiles brightly and jumps forward to give him a hug that he wasn't expecting. She almost acts like Jeremy at this point. "I missed you, hyung-nim!" she exclaims with her face in his chest and my own heart is twisting inside, pain and jealousy tearing me apart from within.

Taekyung awkwardly grabs her shoulders and pushes her to look her in the eyes. I'm sure he's uncomfortable with the display of affection but when he sees her, his expression softens. I decide to intervene before he hugs her this time.

"Minyu, welcome back. We've missed you very much," I say walking up to her. Taekyung lets go of her and now she is looking at me with her precious smile.

I've missed her so much.

"Shinwoo-oppa!" she says brightly and I take another step closer. I can't hug her but I can't just not touch her. My hands reach out for her before I'm even conscious I'm doing it. Soon I'm ruffling her hair in the way I always did. She closes her eyes and makes this extremely cute face that makes my heart race.

"Your hair is quite longer now. It suits you," I add and I really mean it. She looks even more beautiful than before and I didn't think that was possible.

"You look beautiful!" Jeremy chirps and Taekyung snorts in complaint so he immediately shuts up. I, reluctantly, pull away from Minyu's hair and keep the smile. How I wish I could hug her.

"Let's go home, she must be tired from the flight," Minam reminds us all acting like a brother. Since he's come to actually join us he hasn't really had the chance to act like a brother for different reasons.

"Right, let's go," I agree and she nods energetically. I bet she's about to fall asleep.

Jeremy and I help with the suitcases and by the time I look ahead I see Minyu and Taekyung holding hands. My chest aches with longing, dying to be the one who holds her hand. Even today I ask why it couldn't be me. Why. 


It might look quite angsty for now but I promise it'll get happier. I hope you (if there's someone reading) like it. I'm still having trouble with the honourifics so if I use them wrong, please let me know! I want to do this properly.

Bel, xx