Hugs

Sempiternal

Hugs

 

We all walk inside the house after Jeremy rushes past us. I smile to myself knowing exactly why he is behaving like this. Not that it's unusual in him or anything, but still. Minyu tilts her head to the right in that adorable way she always does when she's confused. My eyes are suddenly glued on her and I don't even realise how I just stop walking while everyone else carries on inside, leaving me behind. I sigh when I notice myself standing alone with a suitcase as my only company. I'm about to resume when the door burst open once again. 

"Oppa, don't stay behind!" Minyu exclaims and I blink in surprise. 

At my reaction she smiles widely and chuckles before stepping forward to grab my wrist and pull me inside.

"Come on, come on! They are waiting," she hurries me still dragging me and I'm too dumbfounded as to react. 

Did she already see what's waiting for her inside or did she come after me before that? Why isn't Taekyung with her?
"Leave the suitcase here, Jeremy said we had to go to the rooftop immediately!" she sings-song and my smile comes up. She hasn't gone there yet, she came for me first. 

Even if it's nothing, it still makes me happy. And I allow myself taking pleasure of this short and innocuous moment. She's holding me, she's guiding me and after so long I feel like my heart is soaring. I push to the farthest and darkest places of my mind all thoughts related to Minyu and Taekyung. Right now, the girl holding my wrist is no one's girl and I still have a chance with her. She could still love me. I feel tempted to stop cold on my feet and pull her until she's trapped in my arms with my face in her now longer hair.

I think I love her new hair. 

"Minyu-yah?" I call putting a bit of resistance before we reach our destination.

"Yes?" She stops to turn around and look at me. Her eyes and smile are still as innocent as when I met her, so open and trustworthy. 

"Is okay if I hug you?" I ask before I realise what I'm doing. She doesn't look surprised or scandalised with my question and I gulp, waiting for a response. 

She doesn't give me a verbal reply, though, she launches forward and suddenly she's in my arms, hugging me just like she did with Taekyung. Her arms are tightly around my waist and her face against my chest, and I'm sure she can't hear my heartbeats for my heart has stopped.

 And then boom, it's back to life and beating with the force of a thunder storm. My own arms wrap slowly around her, pulling her closer, and still I hesitantly lower my head until my nose is buried in her hair. I breathe in and her scent fills my nostrils: I feel weak and strong at the same time, I feel like this is all I need and I want to freeze time and live in here forever, with her in my arms.

She's always said I'm warm but she's wrong. I'm cold inside, like an iceberg, and for so long I thought nothing could melt the ice inside my soul. But then Minyu came like sunshine in the morning and melted all the ice inside of me. She's warm and I'm addicted to her, to that feeling. After meeting her I realised I didn't like feeling cold. 
Right now it's the warmest I've felt since she left to Africa. 

But way too soon Minyu pulls back and even if I want to keep her in my arms I let her go and try to smile at her despite the pain in my chest. She smiles brightly. 

"I got used to hugs in Africa," she tells me. "I was afraid you'd be uncomfortable if I just hugged you. I know Jeremy won't mind or my oppa,  hyung-nim already gave me permission but I… I wasn't sure with you because…" She doesn't finish the sentence and by the way she looks down and loses the smile I know what she's thinking of. 

With pain in my heart I reply, "don't worry about that. It's been a long time, everything is settled. Aren't we close friends? You can hug me whenever you feel like it," I add and in my mind I wonder if that's a wise idea. What if I can't take her hugs? Her proximity clearly has a big effect on me.

Her head shoots up and her eyes are bright and happy once again, the smile back in her lips and that's all I need to know that even if it's hard for me, it's the right thing to do. If it makes her happy, I would do anything. 

"Let's go?" I ask and her eyes widen remembering what we were supposed to do so she turns on her heels and rushes again. She suddenly stops and looks back over her shoulder.

"Oppa, hurry up!"

I smile and follow her until we reach the rooftop where Jeremy has everything settled for a welcome party. I doubt Minyu is surprised, yet she stills acts like it and her delight is clear, making us all smile, even Taekyung. 

"Welcome back, Go Minyu!" the chorus of voices sings, but I don't join them. 

Then the party proceeds like many other times, but in this occasion there's a clear difference that feels like a dagger through my heart. In all the other parties it was always me next to Minyu because I'm the closest to her. It was always me sharing food with her, making her laugh and this time I'm the one across from her whilst Taekyung is by her side. Although it's a happy party and everyone seems to have fun, it leaves a bittersweet taste in my mouth and an uncomfortable feeling in my guts.  I go to bed that night feeling like I ate something bad but I'm sure the reason of my state has nothing to do with food and much to do with the only couple in this house


I can't honestly believe that people are actually reading this story. Thank you so much! It makes me unbelievable happy. I can't thank you enough for leaving comments and subscribing. I never thought it would happen with THIs story. thanks!

Bel, xx