Meeting

Sempiternal

Meeting

 

By the time I can't postpone it any longer, I tell Minyu and all the kids that I have to go. I wasn't expecting that all the kids would whine and ask me to come back. I've had a wonderful time and they apparently see me as the wiser figure because they keep asking me about all different topics. I'll have to read more or do some research before coming back to keep up with all their queries. I don't have to do this, but I want to.

"Do you wanna go to the label? I'm sure Manager Ma will be happy to see you again. He's missed you more than anyone," I joke because no one has missed her more than I did.

"I'm gonna stay here a bit longer. I'll see you at home," she says and I know I shouldn’t react like this but my heart leaps nonetheless when those words leave her lips. The sweet hope of having a home with her stings in my chest.

"Definitely," I say and spin around to walk away, but before I make it to the door I hear a girl asking, "why isn't Oppa your boyfriend?"

I don't listen to the answer, I'm not strong enough to put myself under that agony again. I know the answer too well, I don't need a reminder of reality. I have enough with myself. No matter how much I wish she questioned the same, it won't happen. She chose Taekyung and I have to accept she'll never love me.

When I arrive to the studio I don't have time to drown in my own pity party because I have to face two demons, one being the president of the label and the other the leader of our band. Both are furious for my four-hour delay. I didn't plan to stay that long at the orphanage, it just happened.

Jeremy and Minam know where I went, and I wonder if they told Taekyung. If they did, he'll be twice as pissed at me.

"You knew we had this meeting and it was important for our next album. Why are you so late?" Taekyung roars and I don't flinch.

"I had an important commitment and, contrary to you, I'm not a workaholic," I say walking past him to take a seat next to Jeremy inside the recording studio. I grab my guitar, not bothered with Taekyung. Minam is chuckling on his own and I smile at him. It seems he didn't tell our leader about my whereabouts.

"You can't be this irresponsible! This is our career and you can't treat it like this," he insists and I keep strumming the guitar.

"If my commitment weren't more important that this meeting I wouldn’t have been this late. I don't take this lightly, but my priorities are not the same as yours," I state as calmly as usual and I notice from the corner of my eye that Minam smiles at me. I'm not sure but he seems to approve of my behaviour.

"Hyung, Shinwoo is here already, why don't we start working instead of fighting?" Jeremy butts in and the president decides that's the best. He's still angry at me but it's worse if we keep fighting instead of working.

And after that we jump into business, sharing ideas and suggestions. The president is giving us even more creative freedom for this album, which is even more exciting. It's normally Taekyung composing the songs, but this time I fight for our voices to be heard as well. Jeremy and I can also write music and Minam also wants to try. We always let Taekyung step over us, but after so many years I'm getting tired. He's not the only star in the band.

We finish the meeting and brainstorming very late. We've skipped all meals and Jeremy is in a close-to-become-a-zombie state. Minam already gave in to his hunger and he'll eat the first edible thing that crosses his path. It's fun to see Jeremy and Minam always together and getting along so well. They are both joyful and energetic, but Minam can also be sweet and mature, even innocent at times, and when he acts like that is when he reminds me the most of his sister.

At first I thought they were identical, but over time I've learnt how different they are, not only in personalities. Minam's shoulders are broader whereas Minyu's frame is frail. He's a bit taller and rougher. If we had met him first we would've never thought that Minyu could possibly be Minam.

The first thing I notice when we get home is the smell of food and then I remember Minyu is now home. Over the last few months we got used to be only men around and all of us too lazy to cook for ourselves. Today there's someone waiting for us.

"Minyu-yah!" Jeremy shouts jumping in to hug Minyu with her brother closely behind. “We are so hungry. Thank you, thank you for this," he almost cries and I laugh.

Taekyung walks in, still grumpy but he smiles when he sees Minyu trapped by Jeremy and Minam.

"Go Minyu, did you have a good day?" he asks and she smiles brightly. Her eyes dart quickly to me and her smile brightens up.

"It was great. I went to the orphanage to start helping there again," she tells him. "How was the meeting?"

"Hyung is a tyrant, Minyu-yah," Jeremy complains. "He didn't want us to write songs for this album, either, but Shinwoo-hyung fought for us! I'll write you a song for this album, Minyu-yah," he promises with the most innocent smile. I can tell now that he doesn't mean a love song as he could've done before. As he did before. He's left those feelings behind, contrary to what I've done.

"I can't wait to hear it," she replies and I wonder what she would say if she knew that I've already written many more songs about her, and these are indeed love songs.

"If you want to write songs, let go of her and eat," Taekyung demands pulling Jeremy and Minam away from Minyu. Both boys pout and I chuckle.

"Anyhow, I made dinner. I hope you didn't eat out," she says and the response she receives is Jeremy and Minam already seated and waiting eagerly. I join them while Taekyung rolls his eyes.

"We're starving," I say for everyone and she smiles kindly at me.

"I gotta say, my cooking skills improved a lot during my time in Ghana," she says and I don't doubt it.

Soon we are all eating and enjoying her food, which indeed is better, and trying to learn the names of the things we are eating. I soon give up and decide to just enjoy it. She sits next to Taekyung yet her attention is on everyone. It used to happen that when he was around she could only see him, but tonight she pays attention to everyone, not just her hyung-nim.

Noticing that puts me in a far better mood. It's good to see that he doesn't blind her anymore. But at the same time it's a dangerous sight because it ignites the sparkles of hope inside of me. Before, Taekyung was all what she could see but maybe, just maybe, this time she can see me.

Of course, dreams are far from reality and I can't live out of hopes and fantasies that will never happen. That's only painful and I've had enough heartache. I just wish my own hopeful heart could learn the lesson.


 

Hello! I hope you keep enjoying the story. Really, thank you so much for all the comments! Today I finished writing it; it has a total of 20 chapters + epilogue :D I loved every single moment of it so just keep waiting for an update every day :D

Bel, xx