Ice Cream

Sempiternal

Ice Cream

 

The next morning I wake up feeling relieved because there are no plans for today. We've been working hard, travelling to other countries to promote our work, meeting fans and whatnot. In a way I'm grateful for that because for the past six months, it's allowed me to keep my mind busy and away from certain girl. Yes, I accept that my feelings have not gone away, but that does not mean I have not tried to get over her.

When I leave my room, after a morning shower and getting dressed casually for a lazy day, I notice that the house is awfully quiet. I thought that now that Minyu is back everything would be more chaotic, especially with Jeremy being overly loud. But I hear nothing. No conversation, no laughter, no anything.

Weird.

I go downstairs to the kitchen wondering if maybe I jus slept too much and everyone left, but that's not likely because it's not that late. And I confirm it when I find Minyu in the kitchen, sitting alone, eating her breakfast. Yes, only her.

"Morning," I say getting her attention. She looks back and once our eyes meet her smile greets me.

"Morning, Oppa! Did you sleep well?" she asks and I nod as I approach.

I pour a cup of tea for me because I need it to start the day or to just feel calm at any moment. "Want some?" I ask her and she nods energetically. I pour a cup for her and then sit by her side.

It's been so long since we sat like this. Last night Taekyung was by her side the whole time and now that he's not around I can actually be near Minyu. There's something soothing about having her near, like sitting by the heating in a cold and rainy day.

"Where is everyone?" I ask, not because I want them to join us or because I miss them, just because I'm grateful that they aren't here, especially the leader of our band.

"Oppa went to see Heyi," Minyu starts and I can tell by the tone in her voice that she doesn't particularly like that. "Jeremy took Jolie for a stroll and Hyung-nim had to go to the studio for work." Her voice reflects her desire for the situation to be different.

"And you couldn't go with him?" I question because I'm sure she wants to be with Taekyung.

"He didn't want to be disturbed and he wanted to concentrate. Once he's done he'll come back and we'll do something, or that he said." I look at her with pity because she doesn't deserve to be left behind. Taekyung should take her with him, especially because she's just come back after six months. Doesn't he really want to be with her? If it were me, I wouldn't let her leave my side.

I guess none of them knows how to be in a relationship. From that only time when Taekyung did something to hold her, to be with her, they didn't have time to actually be a couple. She soon left to Ghana and we were thrown at loads and loads of work. Now it is their chance to be a couple and he goes to work leaving her all alone in the house. Really? I know he's dense but this is absurd.

"It's okay, Oppa. Really," she says waving her hands in front of her face when she notices the way I'm looking at her. "I don't want to be a bother for him. Work is important. I'll see him later."

I sigh. Taekyung's priorities are messed up because Minyu should be more important than work; plus, how could Minyu be a bother? They could've gone together and then she could've gone seen others while he worked, she didn't need to be there with him per say.

Well, his loss.

"Do you have plans for today?" I ask her and her head tilts to her right making her look so cute. "Because I don't and I feel like getting ice cream. What do you say? Would you come with me?"

Her smile widens and I don't need a verbal answer, but still she says, "I'd love to."

So we finish with our tea and then off we go. If Taekyung won't spend his time with her, then I will. I won't waste a second I can spend with her. I'll enjoy having her in the passenger seat of my car. Even when she was pretending to be Minam I didn’t really have this chance so I won't let it slip through my fingers now. I can finally go out with her as a girl, without hiding. If she weren't with Taekyung this would be our date. In my head, I'll think of this as that date we should've had long ago if Taekyung wouldn't have come between us. Seriously, his timing was always perfect, and I mean it with the upmost sarcasm.

I park my car and before we get out I put on some thick and big black framed glasses to disguise myself a little. People will still recognise me, but not as fast as they would if I were not wearing them. With her now longer hair and dressed as the girl she is, Minyu won't have a problem.

"Let's go?" I ask and she nods.

We get out and walk side by side to the ice cream parlour. I've come here before, once when I was walking alone, missing her and not feeling in the mood to be with the other members of the band. I found this place and I immediately thought of that phone-date we once had. I visited the shop and during the whole time I wondered if one day I could bring her here. If one day I could treat her with an ice cream and show her my face at the same time.

That day will never stop haunting me. How close we were. Even today I ponder how things would've been different if she had taken that step closer, if Taekyung hadn’t called her, if that couple hadn't been between us, if I had told her a few seconds before. If... what if?

But now, today I finally have the chance and even if it's too late, I can at least put my mind at ease. I can replace a memory with a new one, a better one.

We sit at a table by the window. I know it's not the best idea because I could easily be recognised, but I know she would like it. "Would you let me pick one for you?" I ask her looking at the menu a waitress immediately hands us.

"Oh, sure!" she agrees and I smile. It's such a small thing but it makes me happy that I can do this for her.

I ask for an ice cream sandwich, like the one I ordered for her during our phone-date. I ask the same for me and when they arrive her expression shows she recognises what's in front of her.

"This is just like the free ice cream I got, remember? When you were guiding me through the phone," she says happily and I smile.

"Now it's me giving it to you. Enjoy it," I tell her and her smile is so precious that it even makes the ice cream taste more special.

Many times I wished for this to happen. Many times I dared to dream of a date with her in which I would take her to eat something delicious and then we would go shopping and finally to the amusement park and we would ride the Ferris Wheel during the sunset and right there I would tell her my feelings. I always wake up before she gives me a reply, which is far more merciful than the reality: she turns me down.

"This is so delicious!" she beams and my smile widens as I push all those dreams far away. Even if we are here now it still isn't a date and she belongs to another man. I can only keep dreaming.

"I'm glad you like it. Is it better than the one you had on your own?" I question and she nods without a second of hesitation.

"Much better!" she sings and I would like to believe that it's because now we are eating it together. "Everything tastes better when you're with your friends."

I don't let the smile on my lips disappear with that statement. Even if I'm only acknowledged as a friend, it's still my company what makes the moment better. If a friend is all I can be, then I shall be her best friend.

"I agree. Do you wanna go somewhere else after this?" She shrugs. "What about the arcade?"

Her eyes widen in excitement. "Yes, yes, let's go there!" I smile, happy that she likes my suggestion. "By the way, we have to go to the amusement park now that I'm back. We can invite everyone else and have a great day together."

A part of me is happy that she still remembers I like the amusement park and I've wanted to go for a long time, but the fact that she immediately thinks of inviting everyone else breaks my heart a little. Anyhow, I'm used to that by now so I don't need long to recover.

"That's a great idea," I lie because I don't want to go anywhere with Taekyung and Minyu together, but I can't tell her that if I want her to believe that I don't see her as that any longer. "We have to plan it."

She smiles so brightly that I don't care anymore if the whole label comes with us, as long as she is this happy. That is all I care about. 


Hello! I was out for a few days but I wrote loads and loads! I love writing this story so I hope oyu also enjoy it :D

Bel, xx