The moment

First Love

It all started when she was about 10 years old. People keep staring at her, whispering to one another. How can one not feel uncomfortable? She has moved to countless schools, since her mom changes workplace from time to time. Although changing schools were a huge hassle, she finds that changing schools refreshing. Like literally, refreshing. Refreshing your background, interests and hobbies. She changes her story every time she moves- and she has found that group of friends do change, people who hate you are also different. Although she couldn’t make life long friends, people always seem to be attracted to her. She is undoubtly pretty, with her wavy brunette hair, milky skin, beautiful Asian face structure, and an amazing fashion sense and curvy figure. She does have a cold aura though, with a little bit of charisma. She doesn’t talk much making many grow curious of the mysterious her. She graduated high school at a pretty young age, due to international issues in a small high school which she moved in about 3 months before.

After her graduation, a month before her 17th birthday, her mom told her that they’d be moving again, and she should think of what to do next when they get to their next destination. However this time round, she felt like she wouldn’t enjoy moving so much. “Krystal, we’re going to move to Seoul. So you’d have to learn the language, honey”, her mom said. She didn’t respond. What! Korea?! How is the culture like? Will the people be nice? They speak Korean don’t they? So I need to learn a new language?! She thought. She never actually moved to a place where English isn’t the most spoken language. This made her feel pretty anxious. “Mom…..do we actually have to move there?” Her mom was actually surprised, since she never responded like this about moving. “Honey, I need to go there, and plus you’d be adding another thing in your resume if you’d learn how to speak Korean. Sorry honey, I bet it’ll be hard for you, but we really need to go.”

Upon arriving in Seoul, Krystal and her mom were greeted by a corporate director from some well-known company in Korea, since her mom was like one of the ‘big shots’ of the corporate industry. They got into their apartment- on rent for 3 months. Her apartment was in the heart of Seoul, with shopping streets and restaurants walk away. After settling down, her mom wanted to cheer Krystal up by going for some food tasting for lunch- their favorite past time together. Obviously Krystal was more than up for it. So off they went to one of the traditional Korean restaurants, alongside the corporate manager, well you know, for translating.

“WOW. The food is actually a lot better than what I expected. Wait what, I didn’t even know what to expect”, Krystal said after eating a bowl of bibimbap. Her mom beamed with happiness, “I know right, wish we could try everything on the menu!!” They laughed and continue finishing off the remaining. Knowing at least something would please Krystal while they are here made her mom feel a little bit relaxed. After having a good meal, her mom needed to go to the company while Krystal was sent to one of language learning institutes to register. Off they parted and went their separate ways.

“Hi, I would like to register a language course- the fastest one if available”

“Good day ma’am, sure, fill this in and you are ready to start tomorrow!”

Krystal didn’t even feel like protesting for having to learn so soon, she was too tired from travelling and since she has nothing else to do, might as well do something that’ll make you understand if people talk bad about you.

After registering, Krystal wanted to do a little self- exploring around the city. While she was walking around, being amazed with every single thing, she has come to realize there was a man consistently staring at her. She obviously got scared and started to go into shops, creeping in between the clothes hangers. The man waited for her outside the shop, and she couldn’t help but panic. She didn’t know what to do, she didn’t know what to say, she didn’t know what’s appropriate to do within Korea’s culture! Should she hit his balls and run? Should she just walk off without the sense of panic? This is the first time she has ever gone through this, and she was sure scared as hell.

Until, a handsome young man tapped her shoulder while she was peeping out the hangers.