Twisted (꼬다)

The Choice I Made
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

April 18, 2008

"Congratulations Sammy!" Robert ran towards me and enveloped me into a big hug. "That was a great race! You made Jones tighten his seatbelt there." Tony Jones, who was a rookie last year, is hailed as this year's Ferrari Challenge champion. I landed for the bronze cup but it's not that disappointing. I'll definitely work harder to win next year.

"Where's Mom and Dad?"

"I'm here sweetie," Mom said emerging from the crowd. "Your Dad and I are so proud of you. Your Dad stayed for the whole race but he has to leave during the awarding because he was called for a director's meeting." Her voice is squeaky from the excitement. She continued blabbing about the race. "So, where do you want to celebrate? Shane will fetch us later after his exam."

"Uh, actually, I already made some plans."

"You did? Where do you want to go?" Mom asked, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Vancouver."

"Ah, Vancouver....What?! That's too far." Mom looked so shock. Who wouldn't be.

"Um, listen to me first, Mom. Before the race, I was on the phone witth Aunt Carol and I noticed that she sounded sick. So I figured since you, Dad, and Shane are all busy, I'm volunteering to look after Aunt Carol," I lied smoothly, way smoothly. What I told her is half lie, half truth. Yes, Aunt Carol is sick. She caught a cold. But it's not the main reason why I'm going to Canada. Actually, I'm going to meet Kevin. Well, he asked through e-mail to make our relationship official. I already have an answer but I want it to be special when I say it. He offered to go here in Paris but I insisted on going to Vancouver instead.

I noticed Mom pondering it for a moment and I know she's suspicious of me. "Okay, fine. I'll allow you to go to Vancouver as a present. I'll just tell your Dad. But on one condition. You'll stay there for only one day. Understand?"

"Yes, Ma'am!" I raised my hand for a crooked salute. I couldn't contain my happiness and excitement.

I went home to pick some clothes and off I go to the airport. Mom endlessly told to me take care and to call as soon as I arrive. While I was checking in, my brother called.

"Hey little sister! Congratulations!" Shane said in a very cheerful voice. "Where am I picking you up? Gate 4 or gate 3?"

"Didn't Mom tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"I'm going to Vancouver today. Aunt Carol is sick." I closed my eyes praying that Shane will buy it.

He let out a throaty laugh before he spoke again. "Is she? I just got off the phone with her and she seems fine. Yes, she caught a cold but it's not to the extent of needing family members."

"Um—" I racked my brains for another lie but nothing's coming out.

"It's Kevin isn't it?"

I breathed a sigh and said, "Yes. But oppa, please don't tell Mom and Dad or else I'm dead. Please."

"Fine, fine. I'll keep it as a secret. But, this will be the last time okay? The next time you meet him, Mom and Dad needs to know."

"Yes, yes. I promise," I replied. The lady in the checking in counter called my attention. "Oppa, hold on for a moment," I told him and talked to the lady.

"Oppa are you still there?" I asked but no one answered. I couldn only hear noise and a woman screaming. That's weird. Shane never hangs up on me. My flight was announce so I shrugged the thought and rode the plane.

Surprisingly, the ten hour flight wasn't exhausting. Probably because I'm too excited to mind the tiredness my body is feeling.

I arrived in Vancouver around two in the afternoon. I went straight to Aunt Carol's house to leave my things and went to the place where Kevin and I agreed to meet. I waited for an hour but he hasn't showed up so I decided to go to their house. I knocked three times but no one answered. I knocked again but still no response. I walked to the basketball court where he usually hang out but still no Kevin. I sat on one of the benches fee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter