Troubled (고민)

The Choice I Made
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of my alarm woke me up the next morning. On a usual day, I would have turned it off and slept again but I remembered that I have guests to attend to so I scrambled on my feet and went out to serve my visitors. To my surprise, the boys are already preparing breakfast.

“Good morning!” they chorused when they spotted me. I looked around and saw Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, wearing aprons and frying eggs; Sehun and Jongin were putting bread on the toast and they seemed to be having fun with the machine; Xiumin was brewing coffee while Jongdae watched from the side. Kevin and Tao were busy setting the table; and, Lay and Luhan were in charge of putting the living room in its original state,

“Where’s Suho oppa and Baekhyun oppa?” I asked, walking to the kitchen.

“They checked if the heater is already fixed,” somebody answered. Lay, I guess. He’s not much of a talker and I learned from Kevin that he’s really awkward around people he just met.

I looked over what they’re preparing and wanted help but all of them made a chorus of disagreement.

“This is our way of paying back your kindness of letting us stay,” Xiumin said, smiling at me.

Breakfast was delicious though it was plain-sunny side up, bread with Nutella, and coffee. It was a simple breakfast but spent on happy atmosphere. Everyone was chatting happily and would laugh whenever someone tells a lame joke. It felt like family.

EXO didn’t stay for another night because their heater has worked again. Some members were reluctant to leave that Suho has to almost drag them out of my unit. Kevin, who’s the most reticent to go, was the last to leave.

“Why do you look so sad when we’re just a few steps away?” I chuckled when I saw his pouting face.

“I want to stay with you as much as possible,” he replied. “I’ll be very busy this coming months and I’m sure we won’t see each other often as we wish.”

“We can always call each other, can’t we?” I said, assuring him. “What are you so worried about?”

His expression got a bit stiff for a second but it melted right away. He smiled at me and said, “You’re right. Maybe I’m just over thinking things.”

***

“You look pale in that CF,” Belle commented while were watching the TV and stuffing popcorn in .

It’s Christmas eve and I’m lounging in her living room, waiting for the live telecast of SBS Gayo Daejun where EXO will be performing. Eric and Belle were kind enough to let me be their third wheel for the night. Besides, it’s Christmas eve and it’s lonely to spend it alone.

“It’s what the director wants,” I replied lazily at her comment, pulling up the blanket she had lent me to my chest. It’s crazily cold even with the presence of the heater.

Eric, who was sitting beside Belle, sat up straight when the show signaled to be starting.

“It’s like you’re more eager to watch than Sam,” Belle noted. “So, you also like to see idols, huh?”

“Eyyy, do you really have to be jealous?” Eric teased Belle, tickling her sides.

I snickered at them being lovey-dovey and Kevin’s face flickered in my mind. I miss him. It has been more than two weeks since we’ve spent quality time together. Yeah, we see each other since we’re neighbors but that’s just it-seeing each other.

The show was just starting to get heated when a call came in.

“Woo Bin oppa?” I said, answering the phone.

“Hi, Sam!” he replied cheerfully. “Merry Christmas!”

“Merry Christmas, too, oppa!” I retorted then I noticed a sweet melody playing in the background. “Where are you?”

He didn’t answer my question and silence welcomed my ears. I looked at the phone to see if has hung up but he didn’t.

“Oppa? Are you still there?”

“Yeah,” he answered and I noted the sudden change in his tone. “Sam, can you come to the café in your building?

“The café on the third floor?”

“Yeah. Can you?”

“Sure.” Without thinking twice, I grabbed my coat and headed out. I’ve been avoiding him for quite some time now and I guess it’s time he learns that I’m seeing someone for real. At least, I won’t have to lie anymore every time he invites to dinner or lunch.

“Where are you going?” Eric asked.

“Downstairs,” I replied and proceeded outside.

When I arrived, I thought I was in the wrong floor because the café is dimly lighted. Only candles illuminate the place. I was about to call Woo Bin oppa when a spotlight shone on a violinist who played a romantic piece. Then another limelight went to a man playing the piano. I swept my glance on the whole place and then suddenly, Woo Bin oppa emerged from the walkway between the two musicians and was wearing a navy blue polo shirt with its sleeves rolled up, black pants, and black casual shoes. His hair styled to perfection. He looked so handsome like he just stepped out of a fashion magazine. He was holding a bouquet of white roses in his hands. As the scene sunk on me, I suddenly felt out of place with my large knitted coat, white t-shirt, tattered jeans, and Chuck Taylors.

“Oppa, what’s all this?” I croaked when he came near me.

“A little event I arranged.” He chuckled lightly, scra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter