Eyesore (눈꼴 심)

The Choice I Made
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When I was little, Mom always reminded me not to lie; that honesty is, and always will be, the best policy. But with the turn of events, I ask myself: What am I doing? I'm telling people a big lie, people who admires and trusts me. Showbusiness is but a vixen and to get caught in its claws is good as being locked up in a detention cell where freedom is denied. And I know from letting myself get confined in its grasps was just the beginning of my regrets.

After Woo Bin oppa dropped me off my building, I felt the need for fresh air so I decided to take a leisurely walk beside the Han river. Pulling the hood of my oversized black sweater down to my face, I strode down the walkway leading to the riverside. It's a beautiful afternoon and families have laid down their picnic mats on the lawn enjoying the mid autumn. I sat down at the farthest and most deserted bench hoping no one recognizes me. I fished out my iPhone to search for the news articles that must have come out after the interview. Skipping out the most recent news, I clicked for the photos from which the rumors have sprang out. The first two photos were me and Woo Bin oppa entering my apartment building with him holding my hand or in reality, my wrist but the angle from which it was captured tells otherwise. It was when we ate at the ddeokbukki restaurant and we made a ran for the elevator doors to avoid paparazzis. The second set of photos were us having lunch in the Thai restaurant from yesterday and walking side by side in the streets of Itaewon. Even with our baseball caps on, one can easily tell that the people in the photographs are us. With a sigh of exasperation, I put my phone back to my pocket.

I closed my eyes willing my mind not to think of anything but the cool breeze on my cheeks. I was falling into deep relaxation when I felt a tap on my shoulder. When I turned around, I saw a little girl holding a pen and a piece of paper towards me and standing beside her is an older lady who, I guess, is her mother.

"Annyeonghasaeyo! You're Samantha Kim, right?" the mother greeted me, smiling so wide that her eye wrinkles appeared. "My daughter is a big fan of yours."

"Ah, really?" I said, returning her smile. I turned to the little girl who was slightly cowering. "Annyeong! Do you want a sign from eonni?" She nodded and stretched her little arms, pushing the pen and paper towards me.

"I just saw the news about you and Kim Woo Bin," the mother said while I was signing the girl's paper. "You really suit each other!"

"Ah, kamsahamnida," I replied, not knowing what to say. "Don't forget to watch our movie." I gave the signed paper to the little girl which she received cheerfully.

"Of course, we will," was the mother's parting sentence. I looked at their fading outline and realized that they're just a pigment of the people who believed our lie. If I'd put myself in their shoes, I would be very disappointed if I learn that the person I admire is making a fool out of me.

The view in the Han river is so relaxing that when I saw streaks of red and orange smeared on the horizon, I realized I have stayed longer than I intended. The sun has already set and the sky is getting dark so I decided to go back to my unit.

When I stepped out of the elevator, I quickly noticed that someone is leaning on my door. Kris.

"Can you step aside?" I told him in a cold voice possible.

"I've watched the show," he said without moving an inch. "Is it really true?" I might be imagining things but I think I heard a trace of pain in his voice. He's wearing the hood of his black pullover lower than usual so it's impossible for me to see his eyes.

I wanted to tell him yes just to make him feel that I got over him but I couldn't bring myself to lie nor tell him the whole truth so I just said, "What you see is what you get."

He raised his head and met my gaze. He didn't say a thing and both of us were reading each other's face. His was unfathomable. One moment I thought I saw a look of longing then he suddenly changed it to some masked expression. "Okay," was all he said after the deafening silence.

Kris his heels but the frustration inside me has built up that I wasn't able to control myself and blurted out, "Why does it matter if it's real or not? What is it to you anyway?" As soon as the words left my mouth, I felt a twinge of regret. It didn't occur to me that he might say something that would only crumple my already shattered heart.

He stopped on his tracks, his hand on the knob of their door. He didn't turn to look at me but he replied in a cold voice, "It matters to me because it concerns you." Without another word, he turned the knob and entered into their dorm leaving me dumbstricken in the hallway.

With his hint of sudden interest, my feelings got more and more tangled and the thoughts about Woo Bin oppa went further and further away.

***

Friday morning, Eric came to my unit with a new set of itinerary for the weekend. After the TV show we have guested in, we've got a lot of invitations from different shows and networks along with new project offerings. True to the producers' predictions, the movie has gotten a lot of attention than it originally has.

One of the new projects Eric told me is a cameo for an MV of none other than EXO. I've felt mixed emotions when Eric broke out the news. At one point, I missed my EXO friends but on the other, more disturbing point, I was worried because I'd be seeing Kris again and each time I see him, I feel bittersweet—a mixture of happiness and pain.

"Sam, what's wrong? You're not yourself this past few days," Eric told me our way to the filming site in Incheon.

"Nothing. I'm just bothered with this whole fake dating thing," I said. "I hate making a fool out of people and this whole thing entails hypocrisy."

"I know. I don't like it either. But there's not much we can do. Just be patient. After the promotions, SMent and Woo Bin's agency might release some statement you broke up. Bear with it for a while."

I sighed heavily, exasperation taking over. "How easy would it be if I feel the same way as him," I murmured but he seemed to hear it because his head jerked up to my direction. "Oh, crap. I didn't just say it out loud, did I?"

"Of course, you did," he chortled in amusement. "So you mean he told you that he likes you for real?"

"Yeah, when he drove me home after the interview." I shifted on my seat and turned towards Eric who has his eyes on the road. I didn't feel like driving so I hitched a ride on his SUV since Belle couldn't come. "Do you think he's telling the truth? I mean, isn't it shocking?"

Eric laughed so hard at my retort and when he got his composure back, he said, "Sammy, I would be more surprised if he said he doesn't and won't ever like you. I guess you still don't know the effect you have on guys."

"Ugh, Eric, please. Spare me on that topic. It makes me want to throw up."

"Oh, sorry," he replied, laughing again. "Anyway, can I know the impossibility of you liking him back? Or was it the usual I-only-see-you-as-a-friend excuse?"

"That and something else."

"Ohhhh~" he teased. "Is the impenetrable Samantha Kim finally falling in love?"

I said nothing and his eyes bulged from their socket. "Really? You're into someone else? Oh my God. That's a first!"

"Ugh! This is embarrassing! I should have just kept everything to myself." I buried my face on my hands because I realized that for the first time, I'm talking to Eric about matters about guys.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter