Brothers-In-Law (형부)

The Choice I Made
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Baekhyun-ah!”

“Jongdae oppa!”

Kevin and I said at the same time recognizing the two baffled people standing in front of us.

“Hy…Hyu…Hyung, what are you doing here with Sam?” Baekhyun stuttered, looking back and forth our faces.

“Baekhyun, Jongdae hear me out first, okay?” Kevin answered, trying to snap the two of them out of shock. “Sam and I.” he glanced sideways at me, “love each other and yes, we are together.”

Jongdae continued staring at us and when he found his words, only an “Oh” came out of his mouth.

Baekhyun, on the other hand, seemed to have gained his composure better than Jongdae. He looked amused and said, “Why was I so shock a while ago? This shouldn’t have surprised me, should it Sam?” He let out a light laugh.

“What do you mean?” It was Kevin who answered.

“Well, Baekhyun oppa had already guessed my feelings towards you probably even way before you had the slightest idea,” I said, my cheeks turning crimson.

Baekhyun snickered and nudged Jongdae who hasn’t said a word.

“Oppa, are you alright?” I asked after noticing that he didn’t appear to be pleased.

“I’m confused,” he started. “Didn’t you and Kim Woo Bin go public a week ago? Did you break up already? Or…was it all a show?”

Kevin tensed up beside me and looked like he was about to answer but decided against it and let me do the talking. I told Jongdae the truth how my relationship with Woo Bin oppa was just fragmented to attract the public’s attention for the benefit of the movie. I also filled him with a slight glimpse of my past that includes Kevin, skipping the painful parts.

Baekhyun and Jongdae nodded in unison, finally getting our story. “Now, I understand,” the former said in a brighter voice. He looked around the room, taking its decorated state. “So, Kris hyung, you prepared this for Sam? How shabby,” he teased.

“Yah!” Kevin stood up to smack his dongsaeng’s head but the latter dodged the hit.

“What?” he said, laughing hard. “I’m just telling the truth. This could have been better if you asked help from us.”

“Baekhyun’s right,” Jongdae put in. “Chanyeol would have been a big help. That guy really knows how create a romantic atmosphere.”

“Chanyeol oppa?” I asked, picturing the tall EXO member having a sweet side. “He didn’t strike me as someone who knows how to sweep a girl off her feet.”

Jongdae chortled. “Oh, you wouldn’t like to see his antics. He’s the hopeless romantic in our group.”

Kevin was also laughing, probably remembering something Chanyeol has done. “Jongdae’s right. Sometimes we couldn’t stand being near him when he’s full of ideas.”

The three talked about events that Chanyeol has in his mind and was constantly laughin about how silly their co-member is. In the midst of their conversation, my phone rang.

“Just a moment. I need to get this,” I excused myself. Kevin looked at me with questioning eyes. “It’s Eric,” I told him.

I went out the door and answered the call.

“Oppa, what’s up?” I said over the phone.

“Hi, Sam,” his raspy, manly voice sounded through the receiver. “Did I wake you up?” I put away the phone to look at the time and it says 10:40.

“Um, no,” I answered truthfully.

“Are you busy? I…,” Woo Bin oppa hesitated. “I’m nearby your apartment. Would you like to take a walk with me? Or coffee maybe?”

This late? I thought. “Oppa, I think I have to decline. Eric and I just came from night out and I’m tired. Maybe next time,” I lied, feeling the pits of my stomach contract.

“Oh, okay,” he said, his voice heavy with disappointment even through the phone. “Next time then. Sleep well, Kim Soo Jin. Good night.” He hung up and I stayed rooted to where I was standing, feeling the guilt wash over me. Woo Bin oppa has been but a good person towards me and here I am lying to him and hurting his feelings.

“…worry, I’ll tell Sam.” I heard Kevin saying as I opened the door. They must be talking about something serious looking how tensed their shoulders are when I entered.

“Tell me what?” I asked while sitting down.

Kevin seemed to be flustered that I heard what they were talking. He made a tentative glance at Jongdae and Baekhyun before speaking. “These two want to be invited for the premiere night of your movie. Well, all of us actually,” he said, smiling at me but the smile didn’t reach his eyes.

I stared at him and knew instantly that he’s keeping something from me. I hate being lied to but knowing Kevin, he must have some things he wanted to keep for now and I have faith that one day he’ll let me know about it. “Sure,” I replied, smiling back. “I’ll tell Eric to reserve seats for you guys.”

Baekhyun and Jongdae beamed at me. When they met eyes with Kevin, the three shared a meaningful nod.

***

The premiere night was a success. A lot of celebrities attended the event and sent encouraging messages to us and the production team. With my persistence, EXO was invited but not all of them came. Only Kevin, Baekhyun, Jongdae, Sehun, Tao, Kyungsoo, and Jongin came. Of course, Woo Bin oppa and I had to act lovey-dovey in front of the press. We’re holding hands when we entered the cinema and in my peripheral view, I could see Kevin getting uncomfortable and I’d like to think he understands.

The movie was a big hit. It earned a sum of $100,000 on its first day and since it has been running for a month now, it has accumulated earnings of $2B in total, excluding the net profits from international screenings.

Kevin and I barely saw each other the whole month because he was busy attending shows in China while I was busy promoting internationally in cities of Japan, China, and Hongkong. Woo Bin oppa and I, on the other hand, got closer than before. We learned things about each other, things that are more personal. He learned everything about me and I learned a lot about him.

One cold winter day, after having a girl talk with Belle, I decided to take a hot shower to stop me from freezing. I was drying myself up when I heard noise coming from the living room. I wrapped the towel around me and stepped out hurriedly. To my great horror, twelve pairs of eyes were appraising me from head to toe.

“Oh my goodness! What are you guys doing here?!” I hugged my body tightly and ran to my room grabbing any clothes and underwear I see.

When I came back, all of them were standing on the same spot, still in shock especially Kevin who had left his mouth hanging open.

“What are you guys doing here?” I repeated.

“Uh, Soo Jin-ah-” Jongdae was the first to get back to earth. “-sorry for barging in. Our heater broke down and it’s freezing inside our unit. We tried your door and it was unlocked so, we went inside thinking you’re in the living room.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter