One Foot Out (한 발 중)

The Choice I Made
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Damn this stiff neck. I murmured to myself as I massage my neck while walking towards the arrivals lobby where Belle is waiting for me.

After staying for another day in Paris, I've decided to come back and continue what I started. Mom and Dad dropped me off the airport with genuine smiles plastered on their faces. I realize how long I haven't seen those smiles.

I arrived in Korea as correctly as I calculated. I booked a 10 am flight in Paris so that I'd land on Korea two in the morning where people are deep in their sleep. I contacted Belle to fetch me, beingbthe most trustworthy coordinator she is.

I spotted her as soon as I stepped out of the sliding doors.

"Why did you leave without notice? You worried everyone," she scolded me when I approached her but still hugged me tightly. Her voice that of a mother worried for her lost child.

"I'm so sorry eonni. I just had an urgent thing to settle in Paris and I didn't have time to notify you," I replied dryly.

She appraised me one more time but didn't say a word. Her face a picture of relief.

"Eric's sick. He's in the hospital," Belle said as a matter of factly. I was not feeling well because of the rough flight so I let her drive.

"Reall? Why?" I must really care for Eric becaues I got distressed after hearing he's not well.

"Since you left, he hasn't eaten anything. I figured you probably had a rift because you went MIA and Eric is suddenly on hunger strike."

"I'm sorry eonni for putting the burden on you."

"I won't say it's okay because it's not. I was dead worried for the both of you. I don't know what's the reason why you fought but I wish you would resolve it ASAP," she said, clearly being concerned for the two of us.

I nodded in response and didn't say anything.

The silence stretched on until we arrived at the hotel. I quickly proceeded to my room and had a shower. I've decided to visit Eric in the hospital and make amends. It would probably heal him faster than any medicine could offer.

"Eonni?" I knocked on Belle's door.

"Come in," she said after opening the door.

"Are you going to visit Eric?"

"Yeah. I'm bringing fresh clothes. He texted a while ago saying he wanted to get discharged but I am yet to see if he's really allowed to leave the hospital."

"Let me do it," I said. "I also need to talk to him."

Belle stared at me for a second and said, "Okay then. Here, I packed something for him. Make sure he eats that." She passed the box she was holding.

"Sure thing. See you later eonni."

***

I don't know why I'm nervous but I had to inhale and exhale three times before I turned the door knob to Eric's room.

The first thing I noticed when I entered was the way Eric was staring at me. It's like I'm the last person he's expecting to see.

"Hi," I whispered and put the box and the bag on the foot of his bed and sat beside it. "Are you feeling better? Belle said you were on hunger strike."

"Yeah, I'm a bit better now," he replied with a still confused face.

"That's good," I said looking at him and realized how tired he looks. It's funny how five days can change a person's appearance. He looks ten years older than his real age.

"What brings you here?" he asked.

"To visit you, of course."

"Visit me? I thought you wouldn't want to see me after what I've told you."

"That makes two of us. But going to Paris made a lot of difference," I said and started telling him that I had dreamt of Shane and how my parents have enlightened me.

"Let's put the past behind us and move on. Let's forget the painful memories and keep the happy ones," I added after my long speech.

"I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything, Eric," I put my hand over his. "I've already lost my brother, I don't want to lose my best friend too."

"Thank you, Sam," he said with tears forming on the side of his eyes. He reached out and I hugged him. For the first time in my twenty years of existence , I've felt that things finally fell into place.

***

Two days after I got back from my short 'escapade', I went back to work. Luckily, I only missed two photoshoots for a magazine which were rescheduled. Eric is back to is old self and so am I, though we both bear the scars of yesterday.

"Today's the CF filming for Kolon sports. We're lucky it was rescheduled twice," Eric told me over breakfast.

"This is the one with EXO?" He nodded.

Uh-oh. I'll be seeing Kris again. My mind and heart are in conflict whether to feel happy or not. After I regain my memories, I missed him more but given our previous encounters, he doesn't seem that glad to see me again. The truth is I'm scared.

"Am I going to work with EXO

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter