Black Hole (블랙홀)

The Choice I Made
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Happy or not, time flies. That's what I realize when a month passed by since I came in Korea. I have been very busy the whole month—CF shootings and photoshoots, not to mention magazine interviews. But this night is an exception. Eric has freed my schedule for the night because I will be moving to my new apartment. It has been weeks that we're staying at the hotelsfor convenience. Huh! Convenience my . It was not convenient at all. It's like moving houses a thousand times.

A soft knock echoed to the room while I packed.

"Come in," I called out while I'm busy stuffing my things to the carrier.

"Have you finished packing?" Eric asked as soon as he enters.

"Yeah, I'm almost done."

"Good. Are you hungry? Let's grab dinner first. I heard there's a good Italian restaurant nearby."

"Okay, let's go. I'm also craving for a pasta," I replied after pushing the last of my clothes on the luggage.

The restaurant is a cozy place full of Italian inspired decors which reminds me of my favorite restaurant in Florence. When I turned eighteen, I sort of got my 'independence'. I got a place of my own and lived independently in Florence where the races are feequently held and where the best race tracks are located. But though I lived alone, I never felt lonely. Mom would always drop by my apartment every weekend and when I don't have practice, I go home to see her and Dad.

"So, where am I moving tonight! It's funny how I'm packing up yet I don't have any idea where I'm headed to," I said while devouring a delicious Chicken Alfredo.

"In Sangji Ritzville Caelum. Somewhere in Cheongdamdong," Eric replied nonchalantly.

"Wow. Leave it to you to choose the most expensive and most luxurious apartment in whole of Korea."

"Well, you're half right about it. Actually, it's the general manager of Sangji who approached me first saying it would be an honor for them if you choose to live there. Besides, they offered to give us the penthouse. Since,I was already planning on choosing Sangji, I took the offer."

"Penthouse? That's generous of them. Aren't penthouses usually for top celebrities?"

Eric frowned at my statement and said, "You are a top celebrity. When will you get that in your head, dimwit?"

"Oh, am I?" I laughed out loud and customers turned to our direction. "Sorry, it's just hard to grasp."

"Yeah, right. Who would have thought that the crybaby I've known for fifteen years would turn into a big time celebrity?" Eric remarked and I chuckled at the crybaby part. He's right about it anyway. My tears are shallow that I cry even for the cheapest reasons.

"Fifteen years? Wow. We've been friends that long?"

"Yeah. And it's long enough for me to know you like the back of my hand."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, like for example your short temper and your tendency to jump into conclusions. Not everybody knows that."

"Well, lately, that side of me has been pretty much obvious don't you think?"

"Ah, like when you found out about Shane."

Yes. And that encounter with Kev—I mean, Kris. (I refuse to call him Kevin anymore. In my mind, Kevin will remain as the person I met in Canada while Kris is just a stranger.) He told me crystal clear that he didn't want to do anything with me, that I should act like I don't know him. Clearly, he wanted me to stay away from him. But then, there's that note, too. The note which says K likes to see me smile. Doofus! He's not the only one whose name starts with K. Did I jump into conclusions again thinking he doesn't want me around or this time, am I really reading betwen the lines?

***

It was past midnight when Eric and I arrived at the apartment building. We meant to do the moving at night so there won't be any media who would find out where I live. However, I know for sure that sooner or later they'll find out about it. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the privacy while it lasts.

The staffs gave us a warm welcome and even some took a selca with me saying they're a fan. I've got nothing but kind words to express how thankful I am for their support.

"Am I having the whole floor to myself?" I asked Eric during the elevator ride to the 40th floor.

"Unfortunately, no. They divided the penthouse into two units last year."

"I'm having a neighbor then. Do you know who is it?"

"No idea. They didn't mention it during the contract signing. But you don't have to worry. They set quite standards on who wants to live here. Rest assured, you're in a safe environment."

The elevator dinged, signaling our arrival. Eric walked directly to the metal door which is labeled as 4001. He keyed in the password and opened the door.

My eyes almost jumped out of their sockets when an all white living room undfolded in front of me. The walls are painted white and a large black velvet couch adorned the living room and behind it is a beige floor length curtain. When I opened the curtain, a breathtaking view of the Han river and Seoul city lights is revealed. That's not all. The curtain actuall conceals a sliding door that opens to a wide veranda.

I turned to Eric who was smiling ear to ear.

"Do you like it?" he asked, proud of himself.

"Are you kidding me? I love it!" I replied, my voice a note higher than the usual. "As expected, fifteen years of friendship paid off. You really know my style."

I continued scanning the place and I almost screamed in delight when I found the L-shaped kitchen with an island in the middle. The black linoleum tiles provide great contrast against the white walls. My favorite part of the house, or any house for that matter, is the kitchen. Next to car racing is my love in cooking. I love to experiment new dishes which turn out to be good, or so they say.

The last place I checked is the bedroom. It was painted milky white, a shade warmer than the one in the whole unit. The king sized bed is situated in the middle and below it are neon lights which looks like a carpet when seen from afar. Above the bed's headboard is a hanged balack and white portrait of mine. There's a walk in closet on the rightmost part of the room and on the leftmost is a bookshelf with my favorite books—Harry Potter series, Twilight series, Paulo Coelho's works, Nicholas Sparks', James Patterson's, and my favorite of all, Mitch Albom's books.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter