Smoggy Memory Lane (흐린 기억을 더듬어)

The Choice I Made
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up to a gloomy Tuesday morning. I reached out for my phone and checked the time. It was already nine in the morning. I looked around the room and saw my netbook left open and its battery drained. The 'vivid' dreams from last night flashed back into my mind. No. It felt so real that it could not possibly be a dream. It's a memory.

One name kept me staring at an empty space. Shane. Just a mention of his name stirs a feeling of familiarity inside me. I have a brother, I thought. But where is he? Why haven't I seen him around? Why had no one mentioned him? Not even Dad or Mom? Not even Eric? I scanned every bit of memory I had but nothing was coming out. They were all but blurry images. Why can't I remember anything?

My train of thought was cut by the ringing of my phone. Eric. I hesitated answering at first because he might notice that something was bothering me. As troubled as I was, I decided not to tell anyone. It would be best if I solved this myself.

"Sam, it's past breakfast time. Are you still sleeping?"

"I just woke up. Sorry."

"It's fine. Do you want me to bring your breakfast to your room?"

"No need. I'll just come downstairs."

"Alright then." Then the dial tone clicked.

I got up from bed and washed my face. I headed to the hotel's dining area with a gloomy feeling. Eric waved as soon as he spotted me. I sat across from him and devoured the breakfast in front me.

"Had a good sleep?"

"A bit. The time difference is still hard to get used to," I replied, realizing a bit late that my voice made it so obvious that something was wrong with me.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good," I avoided his gaze and continued poking the pancakes.

He was still staring at me when I looked up, but I guess he dropped whatever was on his mind because he changed topics. "You only have one schedule today. A story conference for the CF of Kolon sports in the afternoon."

I nodded at him and continued eating my pancakes in silence. Thanks to my schedule, my mind would be occupied. At least for the whole afternoon.

I was alone in my room the rest of the morning. I had nothing to do, so I switched on my netbook and opened my most trustworthy browser. I typed my name and clicked search. I clicked the first link that appeared and read my own biography—the biography known to the public. There was nothing about Shane. I clicked for more links, but there was nothing about me having a brother. I tried searching the news archives and found one interesting article dated April 19, 2008. I was about to click the link when I heard my alarm ringing. Time to take a shower. I closed all tabs but bookmarked the news article. I'll read you later tonight.

The shower was as refreshing as expected. After prepping up, I proceeded to the lounge where Eric was waiting.

"Where are we headed?"

"SM building. The story conference will be held there."

We took the elevator towards the parking lot. Both of us went directly to the Porsche, and Eric got surprised when I threw the keys at him.

"You drive. I'm not in the mood to drive," I told him.

Only the two of us would be attending the conference. Eric told the team to go do their own plans since they would be going back to Paris in a few days. Belle, on the other hand, was extremely tired. She had been sleeping for sixteen hours already.

The drive to Gangnam was fun. Eric and I were laughing out loud and making up silly things about everything we saw around the streets of Gangnam. It suddenly felt like we were back in Paris, back to the days when I was free to roam the streets and enjoy hanging out in restaurants and coffee shops.

Eric was still laughing at something I said when I remembered the mystery that has been bothering me. I know for sure that he knows Shane. They get along so well in my foggy memories. How did I lose my memories? How come it's so hard for me to remember that part of the past? I think if I discover how and why I lost those memories then probably I'd be able to retrieve everything that I have forgotten.

"Sam, are you with me? You're spacing out," Eric was waving his right hand in my face, his left on the wheel.

"Uh, sorry. What's that again?"

"I said Aunt Sophie called earlier this morning checking on you. She said she couldn't contact you and you haven't contacted her either since your arrival."

"I'll call her tonight. She's probably worried."

"Of course, she is. She's your mother."

Eric slowly parked the van and openes my door as soon as we arrived. Surprisingly, no one's around the building. We walked comfortably towards the doors of SM. The first thing I noticed when we entered the building is two familiar figures standing in front of the elevator.

"Sehun-ah, annyeong!" I greeted him. He's with Kai and they're holding takeouts from Starbucks.

"Oh, noona! Annyeonghasaeyo!" he replied and bowed his head slighly. Kai glanced at me and smiled.

"Are you working today?" I asked trying to strike a conversation.

"Yes. W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter