Promises Promises

My Best Friend's Wedding

I sat during the reception mindlessly like a broken doll. I suddenly had a strange flashback to before,when we were kids.

"Make a wish Luhan!" I say excitedly.

"Hold on! Let me think!" He says back.

"Yeah Eun Mi! He only has one per year!" Ji Sun says.

It's Luhan's 10th birthday. We are celebrating at his riverside villa and all of his friends and family are here to celebrate. He is currently trying to think of a wish to blow out his candles with.

"What do you want Luhan?" Ji Sun asks.

"I don't know yet.." He says.

"Ohhh! You should wish for a pony! Then we can ride it together!" I happily joke.

"Eun Mi! It's Luhan's birthday! He get's to pick what he wants! But in my opinion I think you should get a guitar, we can start a band!"

"Ji Sun, You can't start a band, you don't know how to play guitar." Luhan says as a matter of factly.

"Well Im saying YOU can learn.. and Eun Mi can play the cello, Yoon Mi can play the piano and I can play the Violin!"

"But I don't want a guitar.." Luhan says.

"What do you suggest Yoon Mi?" I ask.

She shakes her head. 

"Come on! What's a good idea?" Ji Sun asks, "Luhan needs our help!"

"Hey!" Luhan says and gives Ji Sun a playful shove.

"Well.. I was thinking...maybe some books? So we can all read together?" 

We all look at her, then at eachother. We give ourselves a silent 'Look'.

"Luhan already has a lot of books already.. I don't think he needs more.." I say.

"Yeah..." Ji sun says.

"Oh..." Yoon Mi says.

"But that's ok! good idea Yoon Mi, and very thoughtful!" I say.

Yoon Mi smiles and nods.

I smile back and say, "So Luhan, What are you going to wish for?"

He paused for a moment, blew out the candles and just about when he was going to say something our parents come back into the room. They also asked Luhan what he wanted for his birthday, but he shook his head.

"It's a secret!"

Everyone was curious to what he had wished for but he brushed everyone off. Later on after more pestering from the parents he finally cracked. 

He looked at everyone, "I wanted a Rubik's cube"

Everyone was sort of surprised. Ji Sun said, " Luhan! You wasted your wish on a Rubik's cube? you could have wished for a Unicorn or something at least!"

After that the party continued into the late evening and I had previously asked permission to stay over at Luhan's home for a sleep over. We were in his room playing video games and I asked him

"So, what did you really wish for?" 

He didn't look surprised that I knew that wasn't  REAL his wish, after all we were best friends.

"Ok.. But you can't laugh ok?" 

"Ok Ok I promise!" I give him my pinky to promise and he gives his. We intertwine our fingers and say the words "cross my heart and hope to die stick a needle in my eye wait a moment, i spoke a lie i never really wanted to die. but if i may and if i might my heart is open for tonight though my lips are sealed and a promise is true i won't break my word my word to you." That was the only verse we knew from the poem but it was more than enough.

"I wished that we can stay together forever!" He gave a sweet smile.

I thought about it for awhile and told myself, 'that is something he would wish for..' so instead of scolding him for wasting his wish I said, " I wish we stay together forever too!"

"You have to promise me that we will stay together forever or I will be sad." He said seriously.

"Ok, I promise" We cross fingers and recite the poem again.

 

 

Now I only wish I never asked him to tell me his wish. Because we all know that if you tell someone your wish, it will never come true. I smiled weakly to myself. Such luck I have. If only I had asked his wish his previous birthday or his birthday the year after. I researched the rest of the poem that we used to recite on my smart phone. I read the rest and I laughed at how ironic the poem seemed to fit my situation. Thinking back we should have never used this poem for our promises. I read to quietly to myself-

"cross my heart 
and hope to die 
stick a needle in my eye 
wait a moment, 
i spoke a lie 
i never really 
wanted to die. 
but if i may 
and if i might 
my heart is open 
for tonight 
though my lips are sealed 
and a promise is true 
i won't break my word 
my word to you. 

cross my heart 
hope to die 
stick a needle in my eye. 
a secret's a secret 
my word is forever 
i will tell no one 
about your cruel endeavor. 
you claim no pain 
but i see right through 
your words in 
everything you do. 
teary eyes 
broken heart 
life has torn 
you apart 

cross my heart 
hope to die 
stick a needle in my eye 
i loved you then 
i love you now 
i'll still love you 
though i'll break my vow. 
i can't hold this secret 
any longer 
it's hurting you 
not making you stronger. 
you're my friend 
so i'll risk your respect 
by hurting you 
i can protect 
i'll save yourself 
since you will not 
you might hate me 
but i'll give it a shot. 
i'm willing to risk 
our bond that we own 
so long as you're safe 
you won't be alone. 

cross my heart 
hope to die 
stick a needle in my eye 
break my promise 
tell a lie 
save my friend 
though, maybe it's Goodbye."

 

If only I had learnt the rest of the poem sooner. I would have never used it for our promises.

 

 

 

Hello Everyone! ^^ I know its an early update but I won't be around my laptop next week so I hope this chapter will make up for it! A Big Thank you to my lovely subscribers! They are so awesome! And Thank you for those who upvoted! HUGE APPRECIATION FOR ALL OF YOU! <3 btw when I was writing this chapter my first intention was to use only the 'cross my heart and hope to die part..." BUT THEN I read the entire poem and I was like THIS FITS WITH THE CONCEPT SO WELL!! Even though the poet must have had different intentions when writing that poem rather than for a fanfiction -_-" I want to credit the poet but the site I found it on didn't have it!! SO TO OWNER OF THE POEM PROPS TO YOU!! and I hope it was ok for me to use in my story :D THANKYOU to those of you for reading my long authors note! -_- I am working on making them shorter! AND FINALLY Thank you to all of you who are reading this fanfic! It means a lot that you guys take your time to read and enjoy my writing! ^^  Much love! I hope you stay tuned for the next chapter and enjoyed it as much as I did writing it! Please subscribe and upvote if you'd like! and have a nice day! (or night!)

P.S. I  just learned how to put music videos on here! yaya! I went back and chose songs that would fit the mood for wach chapter! ^^ so hopefully the FEELINGS will be there! and i know all the songs are by IU, she just has the perfect voice!

                                                                                                                                                                              - Ultra Maniac