Hinderances

My Best Friend's Wedding

 

I lay in bed thinking about my life. About current events. About what to do... I look to my bed stand and glance at the clock... 8:35.... It's is so early. At least early for me since I have nothing to do anyway. I get up to open my curtains that hang heavy covering my windows. I swing them open and look out. The sky is just starting to darken. I blink in confusion. I try to recollect yesterdays events. Nothing comes up. I go over to my laptop and check the date. July 17th.. I stare at the screen for a while longer. Finally clicking in my head. Its been two weeks since Luhan's wedding... they are off on their honeymoon doing who knows what. I feel my headache...Two weeks... I hear a quiet knock on my door.

"Eun Mi? Do you want a snack?" My Omma comes in with a tray of my favorite desserts and some rose hip tea.

I shake my head in silence.

"Eun Mi, I know it's hard for you but please eat something! You have barely touched any food since the wedding! Tell omma.. Is something wrong?"

I stayed silent. How can she understand that I lost my best friend?

"Omma is very worried for you! Did you get food poisoning? do you have the stoamche flu?!" she looked so tired. She must be worried but I have mo idea why, I was doing fine.

"Omma..," she looks at me, " I am not very hungry." I say.

She looks down at the tray and she suddenly bursts, "Eun Mi! If you don't eat this you will not be able to leave the house until you do!" 

I was stunned at the sudden outburst but the contents did not faze me. I don't care if I don't leave this house. I don't even care if I can't leave my room. All I need is my comfy bed and my laptop for k-dramas. Who needs the outside world?

My Omma is trembling. Was she that upset? I just don't feel like eating is all. She looked at me. "I want to take you to see Dr. Kim." He was our family therapist who helped my sister talk out her feelings on her previous breakups and my brother about the stress of running a company. But I have no idea why I need to go.

"Omma, You just said that I could not leave the house." I say as a matter of factly.

"Omma is worried for you!" she put the tray of desserts down and went up to me, " Look at you! have you seen the mirror lately!?" She leads me over to the vanity mirror and I try not to look but it was all in vain. I was scared to look but I had anyway.

I stared in disbelief to what my body had become. My hair was a tangled mess, effortlessly scrunched in a messy bun and not the cute kind either. I had on a T-shirt but that did not hide what was underneath. I can see my once enviable curvy body turned to a weak limp mass of hard lines. My cheeks hollow and my complextion a sickly sallow. I looked like I had suffered a breakup. Which was not entirely untrue. 

"Omma enough." I shake her off but she grips my wrists.

"You are coming with me!"

We head to the theraputic offices and my Omma already had my appointment scheduled ahead of time so I just had to go in. I meet with Dr. Kim and he asks all sorts of ridiculous questions. Like why haven't I been eating or if the wedding was a big shock to my system hence my distant behavior. He asked me of things I have been doing lately and I told him all I have been doing was watching My Love From Another Star and Doctor Stranger back to back because I couldn't remember the episode I left off on. He looked at me and asked me if I had any type of pains. I thought about it and I don't think I would like to tell a man I just met that my best friend and love of my life married another woman. Who broke my heart saying that we can never be the same. But I don't think that was the type of pain he was asking for. Or was it? After all he was a therapist. But I kept it safe and instead of bearing my soul I said-

"Actually I have been feeling these headaches for quite sometime now. It was because of a concussion I got about a month back. I had amnesia for a while but my doctor said it was fine" 

He looked at me and back down to whatever he had on his clipboard, "Eun Mi... These headaches are re-occuring correct?"

I nod, "But it's nothing serious I just hit my head a little."

"Yes but usually concussion pain lasts for about a few weeks for some people though it can last for months. But your brother had a concussion once back in his university years and it healed exceptionally well."

"Yeah but I am not my brother." I say. I know it was kind of rude and my Omma would have scolded me but I was just not having it today.

"Well, your right. But just in case Eun Mi, If you don't mind I would like you to go get checked by your main doctor for any type of serious matters"

"Alright, thank you doctor" and I stand up and leave. As I leave I hear a sigh of disbelief just before the door closes shut.

I tell my mom the sugar coated version of what happened leaving out some...unnecessary details. I do tell her that he recommended I get checked by my doctor and with that we are set to head to the hosptial. No questions asked. I thought to myself that all this was so useless. What are they going to find anyway? I thought about the possible results. I could have the stomache flu or the rehular flu. Even the unlikey ones like cancer but my family had no history of that. WE arrive at the hospital and we sign in. I wait to be called in. When it was my turn the doctor asked the standard questions.

"are you doing drugs?"

"No."

"Have you had any alcohol?"

"No."

Every question wasting more and more of my time to watch my dramas. Which one was I watching again? Finally he leads me to a room so I can be tested. They take a sample of my blood and do an X-ray,Then I leave. The results will come back tomorrow and my Omma should recieve a call. Once back home I resume my drama watching from episode one. I forgot which one I was watching so I chose Heirs and another day passes by yet again. I wake up next morning to Lee Min Ho's sweet deep voice from my screen.

"?!?!" I shot up from my bed and check the time. Noon. What time did I stay up to last night? I stretch my arms up and sigh a yawn. I get out of bed and head to the bathroom to freshen up. I hear a knock on the door and I proceed to open it before it swung open by itself. On the other side stood a solemn Appa and a tearing Omma.

"Eun Mi.." Omma sobbed. "We need to tell you something."

 I don't know what was so important worth crying over but I let them in. We sit at the love seats situated in the front of my room by the fire place in the middle of us was a coffee table and the desserts from yesterday.

"What do you need Omma?" I was obviously worried.

Omma's shoulders trembled and tried to speak. A fruitless effort. So instead Appa spoke-

"Eun Mi we got your results from yesterday..it seems that the headaches are just symtoms of your concussion and should go away in a few months..."

He paused. I suddenly got a sinking feeling in my tummy. I had a feeling. I knew.

"Eun Mi..." He in a breathe and patted my Omma's shivering shoulders...." You have Frontotemporal Dementia..."

Even without knowing what it was it was a shock to hear that I had a disease. I have been healthy up until now.

"What...What is it?"

"It happens when the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain are damaged. It causes memory loss..."

"I..I " I could not seem to get words out.

"Sweetheart I am sorry. It's my fault!" My Omma wept," My Grandfather had it! I didn't know I.." She sobbed uncontrollably.

I sat in disbelief. I took a breathe and asked the question, " Is it...Curable?"

My father seemed to stiffen, " Eun Mi, There is Treatment... but the disease is very rare so there are risks."

"I see... Can I..Be alone for a while I ...." I stood and ushered them to leave. Not in a rude way though, I just needed some time.

I shut the door behind me and I leaned against it. I slumped to the bottom. And then I cried. 

 

 

HELLO MY LOVELY READERS!!! ^^ I am so excited!! I have 34 subscribers as of now!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! to keep this short thank you fore reading this and I hope you enjoyed it as I did writing it! <3 Much love and I appriciate any comments! :) Please Subscribe and upvote if you already haven't! It would be so awesome if you did! XD Again THANK YOU for taking your time to read this and I hope you stay tuned for what comes next! 

P.S. after a little more researching it turns out that tyrosine hydroxylase deficiency happens to kids and infants... so I changed it.. SORRY! I might add a little more EXAGGERATED symptoms to the new disease to make the story more interesting as I have it previously planned.. I hope you guys don't mind! >.<

                                                                                                                                                                                               - Ultra Maniac <3