Love is All About Timing

My Best Friend's Wedding

Today is his wedding day. The day I was dreading most is now here. The few days before today I lazed around in my room in a daze. My headache was ever present and everytime I thought about Luhan it got worse. So I did my best not to think about him for the entire two days before today. But now it was impossible not to think of him. Thinking about everything we had gone through since the very beginning up until now. We were always together for everything, all the most important things in our lives we had done together. But today was his day and I was not going to be by his side.

I sit in my room at my vanity with my dress ready on my bed.

 

"Nothing to fancy," my Omma said earlier this morning, "it would clash with the bride." she said. It was an dark ebony floor length gown that cascaded over the my legs. It was open at the back and had a cross above the shoulder blades. Silver gems embellished just underneath the bust which was in an 'X' shape left an open cut-out, enhanced the shape of the dress. It most definently was very fancy but what else would I wear to my best friends wedding? I laughed at the thought and looked into the mirror. My face was dewy, I liked the natural look but today was special. I grabbed my shimmer powder and highlighted the high points of my face. I curled my eye lashes and gentley combed mascara through them. Lightly dusted my cheeks with a rosy blush. I selected a pinkish lip color and smoothed the product over my lips. I look up from my lips and I checked myself as a whole. It was not a 'heavy' face of make up but it was more than what I usually wore. I sighed and took out the curlers in my hair one by one,each curl bouncing into place. Every wave draped over my shoulders down my back. I walk over to my bed and stare at the dress. 

"A black dress huh? Omma sure knows what to pick for a wedding." I think to myself.

I slip of the dress and strap on my heels. I look at the clock at the side of my bed. 12:26 p.m. The wedding doesn't start until 2:00, I still have about an hour and a half. I take a look around my room. My eyes land on a small white box. I look at the clock again and give myself a mental kick in the shin. I grab my bag, the box and I head out to Luhan's house.

As I am driving I am thinking to myself, "he's ot even going to be there... I can just give it to him after the wedding." but I knew that I had to give it to him before the wedding no matter what even if I didn't believe in myself. My heart starts to race faster as I near his home. I pull into his driveway and my head starts to ache again. Perfect timing. I walk up the steps and I ring the door bell. The familiar ring washes a wave of nostalgia over me

"Go go!" I whisper to Luhan. He goes up to the door and rings it twice. We both run over the the big pot by the entry way and hide behind it. We wait for one of the help to open the door and we are rying our hardest not to giggle. The door opens and the ahjusshi looks around looking clearly irritated and closes the door after finding no one is there.

We burst into laughter and he says, " We are going to get in so much trouble! " I nudge him in the shoulder.

"Not unless we get caught together!" I say with a mischievious glimmer in my eyes. After I say that he just smiles his adorable Luhan smile.

I giggle to myself just as the doors swing open. The ahjusshi looks at me and lets me in. I've been here more than enough that the butlers and maids know who I am. The ahjusshi butler leads me somewhere.  I walk down the familiar corridors and to the main foyer.

I ask the ahjusshi butler, " Is Luhan home?"

 He stops walking, turns to me and says, " Yes ma'am, He's getting ready in his room."

I nod to him and we continue walking. He leads me to Luhan's room, which I could have found myself, gives a bow and leaves. I enter without a second thought and instantly regretted it. He was upset at me right now and I was so used to entering his room to notice what I was doing. I found myself retreating a little bit after my hasty entrance. 

"excuse me." I say to compensate for my rude behavior. Which felt so strange to say because I never was polite around Luhan. At least to him, we were so used to eachother. I spot him by the dresser ajusting his bow tie. My heart does a little squeeze when I saw him. He was in a tux, obviously, But it was specially tailored to fit him just at the all right angles. And it was white, which made him look like an angel.

He turned towards me, " What are you doing here? I thought I told you to stay away..." he looked down.

I look down at my little gift. I start to think that I was stupid to come here but I had to try one last time.

" Luhan, I know what you said at the hospital but please, hear me out, Im begging you." I start to feel a sting of tears at the back of my eyes butI blink them away.

"Fine. What do you need?" He asks without looking up.

I laugh, " Funny thing was I thought I knew what I needed but I was definently wrong and now I have to pay for it."

He pauses fixing is tie and in confusion, " What do you mean? you don't make sense."

I shake my head, " Luhan, All my life you have been there with me and now your asking me to leave, telling me that you are leaving. How can you do that? Luhan, You are my best friend." I feel the tears.

He looks up, "...Come on, Don't do that."

 I wipe my tears, " Im sorry I just...I can't live without you, and just recently I realize that I... I've always... Luhan, I love you." I take a deep breath because what I was going to say next I knew was shameless.

" And Luhan, Its not the brotherly sisterly love.. Luhan I Love you as a man and I know deep down you feel it too. I know that if you felt anything towards Yoon Mi you wouldn't be getting married today because it wouldn't be love."

It felt like time froze then. Luhan looked at me and I almost cried looking at them. The were filled with saddness and regret.

" Why? Why now?" He says, "Why today? Eun Mi I can't, Im getting married!" His voice is getting caught.

" I know I am so sorry But ever since I returned from abroad I couldn't help thinking that you are so different. It made me realize that I missed you more than I thought and that this whole time I've been in love with you."

He shook his head, " Eun Mi, I have waited 21 Years of my life to hear those words come out of your mouth. Those 21 years I have spent loving you and cherishing every moment with you. When you left to study abroad was when I realized I would only be chasing after you for the rest of my life. Eun Mi it's true that since you have returned the feelings that I felt for you are slowly resurfacing, but I am with Yoon Mi now."

My heat dropped every last bit of hope. I knew from then on whatever he was going to say was only going to hurt me.

"When you left, to be honest I was devastated." He chuckled, " I didn't know what to do or where to go if you weren't going to be by my side. When we found out about Yoon Mi's arranged marriage we were all against it but she said it would be alright. Then one day she came to me crying that she didn't want to get married to a stranger and she needed my help to talk to her dad. We cleared the misunderstanding and she got out of her engagement. I felt enlightened. I always thought that the person I would protect would be you and yet here I am saving someone else from trouble. It was then I felt like I could do something with out you. Like I could function on my own, performing tasks without your help making decsions for me. Eun Mi I did Love you. I still love you so much. I always told you to never change because to me you are perfect. I always told you that you look the best in white because I hoped to see you in a wedding dress walking down the aisle with me. I always told you to do safer things and you never listened. I always told you to never leave me but you did. Eun Mi I am so in love with you, but I can't be with you. Im sorry."

I closed my eyes. I could tell it was hard for him too because I heard him sniffle and he turned around. This whole time he was talking he didn't look at me. I looked down at the box again.

I look up wiped my tears and smiled as bright as I could, " Oh come on! what's there to be sorry about?" I try to smile wider but it was starting to hurt, "It's my fault for not realizing your feelings sooner and It was me who left in the first place right?"

He didn't turn around.

"See? So you have no reason to apologize!" I laugh an out of place laugh, " I came here to give you this! I don't think I could have given it to you after your wedding so I thought.. I would give it to you now!" I smile and hold out the box.

He still didn't turn. Instead he said, " I can't."

Tears stung my eyes again but I still tried to smile, after all weddings were a happy occasion, " Come on Luhan! We won't see eachother much after your wedding so please. Plus you do't know what it is yet. Accept this last gift from your best friend." I tried my hardest to sound cheery but all in vain. 

"Just leave it on the table when you leave." He says. He turns slightly not enough that I could see his face but just enough that I could see he went back to trying to fix his bow tie. his fingers slipped. He was nervous, He always fidgited when he was nervous. I looked down at the box, I open the top and look at the half moons. I re-read what they said.

I walked over to Luhan and I hugged him from behind, " Im sorry that I love you only now but I don't regret it. I am so glad that I fell in love with you and the few short moments that I did, I was completely, utterly, entirely happy. And for that short bit happiness, I thank you, my dear best friend." I force the gift into his hands and I turn to leave. This was the last time I would see him again so at the door I look back and he is looking at me. He had tears in his eyes and I had tears in mine. We both knew that things would never be the same.

 

 

Hello everyone! Sorry for the late update! >.< I really hoped this chapter made you feel things because when I was typeing I couldn't help but tear up. -_-" My envsionment of this was way to intense. I hope you had the same experience as I did but in your own special way! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and A very special thank you to my lovely subscibers! You guys are awesome and inspire me to keep on updating! Thank you SO much for taking your time to read this and the fanfic and hope you have a nice day!

                                                                           - U.M.