My Best Friend

My Best Friend's Wedding

"Eun Mi! Don't go so fast!" Luhan screams as we slide down the snowy slope.

"Whooo!" I scream, "You are such a scaredy cat!"

We start going faster and faster down the hill until we hit a rock and we are thrown into the air flying towards the soft, fluffy snow.

"Let's do it again!" I say as I am getting the sled ready to go up again.

"No no...I don't want to Eun Mi..." Luhan whines shaking his head.

"Then I'll go alone!" I yell back almost a little about a third up the hill.

"No! Eun Mi! Don't leave me!" He cried. I turn back to see poor 6 year old little Luhan crying his eyes out. Before he could even reach me he trips over the same rock that hit us when we were sleding and fell face first. He looks up with snot and snow all over his face and tears streaming down his big eyes.

I give up. I can't change Luhan even if I wanted to, he was a little overly cautious but he was still my best friend. Even at a young age I had to take care of Luhan despite him being a year older than me.

I remember it like it was yesterday when Luhan and I would go outside to play regardless of the weather. Luhan was always a chicken and I always searched for adventure. But that's how we were separated, my need for adventure and his need for safety kits. While we were in high school of our third year we had our future aspirations sheet to write and he wrote that he would be staying and going to a univeristy in Korea and I wrote that I had wanted to study abroad. After that we had parted for 4 years. I lived abroad in the states and he stayed in Korea. We kept contact but eventually we moved on like most people but it wasn't like we were complete strangers, we had little chats online every now and then talking about what we were doing and such. Now that my 4 years of studying were over I am finally returning home. Also when I was in the states I heard from a mutual friend that one of my good friends will be getting married this month so I guess you could call it perfect timing. 

I head out to the airport baggage claim and I grab my stuff and head outside. My family is waiting for me with open arms and I am so glad to be home. But one person whom I expected to see most was not there. 

I asked my mom " Omma.. Where's...Luhan?"

 "Ohh... omo....Luhan...He's been busy lately. He wasn't able to come...but he will be coming later." She says.

I nod absently. Strange that he didn't come. I thought to expect that he would be the first to come running with tears in his eyes screaming " Eun Mi! You're back!" but I guess that was just me. His girlish nature surely must have gotten worst as the last time I remember, when I was getting ready to board the plane to the states, he was crying hysterically and making a scene saying things like "Eun Mi! how will I survive university without you?" I giggle at the memory. We hurry and head to my home where I get ready to head to a resturant to celebrate my return. I walk in to my room and find a peachy salmon colored cocktail dress with a sweet heart neckline and a flared A-line skirt that seemed that it would hit to just above my mid-thigh waiting for me on my bed.

 

dvw2xy-l-c335x335-dress-salmon-pink-pink

Great. It must have cost a fortune. Again. I don't talk about my family much but I am very blessed to have come from a wealthy family. And so was Luhan. Thinking about it now our parents must have wanted us to end up together, but I don't think I could ever think of Luhan in that way. We go to a very fancy resturant and not to my surprise a banquet was prepared and guests were already getting into their seats.

"Omma, Appa you didn't have to do all this.." I say looking at the fanciful decorations. My parents really spoil me even though I have an older sister and brother. My sister who is the oldest is currently living in Europe with her boyfriend and my older brother is helping my dad with the company. I ask them to not overdo it but they don't seem to get the message.

"Oh yes we did! Our baby is returning from abroad which we haven't seenin 4 years! Of course we have to celebrate!" My appa chuckles. He was a tall, sturdy man who whenever he laughed reminded me of a bear.

"sweet heart.. I know you don't like it when we do this but please..at least be grateful..." My omma says.

"I know! I am! But sometimes when you pick out a dress could you not get one costing more than one million won?"

"Oh no.. stop, You look wonderful!" She says eyeing me up and down, "Have you gained weight?"

"Omma! I can't believe you!" 

"Omo! Darling I must talk to Ms. Lee about some business! Go and enjoy the party!" She runs along leaving me behind.

I cannot believe this! I look down at myself and give myself an assuring nod. I haven't gained anything! I run my gaze over the crowd and I see two bobbing heads coming towardsme. I feel an impact on both sides of my arms and find myself being dragged off to the side of the banquet hall.

"Eun Mi I missed you so! Why did you leave me?" 

I turn my head and laugh at the short little Ji Sun, who is also my childhood friend.

"Haha I've missed you too!" I give her a hug and I feel a tug on my opposite arm, "Yoon Mi! Oh how I have missed you both!" Yoon Mi is also a chilhood friend but was much taller, quieter and docile than the outgoing Ji Sun.

"We thought you would never return! When we heard that you would be returning we almost died of happiness! Just in time too!"

"In time? In time for what?" I question.

Just as I ask the microphone went on and I heard my appa speak.

"As you all know, my daughter has been studying abroad for quite sometime now but today she has returned!" A round of applause roars then quiets, " I would like to call her up her to give her a little surprise."

I roll my eyes. Great. I am really grateful for all the things that I have but I don't need anything more, I am very happy with what I already have and to ask anything more would be to much. I make my way up to the stage and I bump into someone.

"Oh excuse me." I say even though it was not my fault.

The person looks back. Ok hold on. This person for one was EXTREMELY tall... It was biologically impossible to be this tall... but besides the height that startled me, his hair was dyed blonde, which I suppose is a trend among the celebrities nowadays but when he looked back at me I swear I heard angels singing in the background. he was drop dead gorgeous. I give him my best smile and wait for his apology. In my head I was imagining his handsome face looking at me and saying "Oh no it was my fault, please. There is no need for apology." But instead he gave a slight nod and turned back. WELL! I scoffed and walked up onto stage.

My appa continued on, "And I have heard as well that we have a couple who is soon to be united through the bond of marriage. Let's give them both an applause!" An applause errupted and died as my appa continued, "And now my lovely daughter... You have grown up so much and we wanted to hold a party for you not only for your return but for your upcoming 21st birthday.

I smile at my appa. My birthday was in two days since it was the first of January we never really celebrated t due to my parents having to go to new year's parties. My appa is the most hard working person that I know and I know he does his best for our sake. Whatever he has to give me I know its in my best interest.

"For my gift I would have to ask of you to give to me..." He chuckles

 I stand in bewilderment at what this gift actually was and why I was the one to be giving it to my appa?

My appa leads me down to the dance floor and says, "My sweet heart would you do me the honor of having a dance as father and daughter?"

I could not help but smile... My appa despite his old age definently knew how to woo a girl. I know why omma fell in love with him. His eyes that were boardered with wrinkles smiled like the sun.

I laughed to my appa, "Of course I will!"

We danceto the end of the song and other guests start to fill the dance floor waltzing away.

"Appa thank you for everything." I say.

"Oh it was nothing.. I just wanted ne last dance with my daughter before she becomes a busy doctor is all." he laughs.

When I was abroad I was studying to be a doctor. I recieved my doctoral degree last spring. I know you must be thinking "BWOH?! You're only 21!' I know but my appa put me through brutal, vigorous tutoring when I was younger and it came easy to me...you could call it 'Genius" if you prefer. but again I thank God for everything that I have and I am very grateful for the brain that I have.

I hear the clicking of heels that were much to familiar and I hear the perky voice of Ji Sun, "Eun Mi! There you are! We haven't yet finished talking about the wedding!"

"Oh right! What is all this talk about this wedding I keep hearingabout?"

"Well its about the most talked about topic in all of Seoul right now! Yoon Mi Is getting married!"

"Bwoh?! Yoon Mi! You're getting married?!" I exclaim, " Are you the one that my friend told me about while I was in the states?" 

"Most likely.....but I didn't think it would get this out of control..." she says and I think she was blushing

" How can it not? Your getting married to-" Ji Sun is cut off by a loud crowd about 5 meters away from us.

At the center of the crowd was a guy walking towards us. As he got nearer I recognized who he was. 

"The rude guy from earlier!" I point my finger at him.

He looks up and gazes into my eyes. He glances from Ji Sun who is waving merrily at him and Yoon Mi who blushes when their eyes meet.

"Wait.. Do you guys know each other?" I am very confused. Why would my sweet friends hang out woth such a nasty guy?

Then Ji Sun shoots me a confused look and says " Of course we do! It's Yoon Mi's Fiance, Don't you recognize him?"

obviously not! I would remember anyone who was this rude to me in the past and I would totally make them regret it. Ok he wasn't THAT rude, but you should at least say something back. Why would Yoon Mi be engaged to such a rude guy?

I say to Ji Sun, "No."

She says something that has me taken aback and shocked beyond comprehension, " It's Luhan..."

 

 

 

 

Hello Everyone! I hope you are enjoying this new fanfic! I know..I know...I should update my other stories instead of writing new ones but when I thought of having this super cliched story on marriage.. I couldn't help but click "new story". Im sorry >.< ! but I will get around to updating my other stories as well but while you're waiting why not comment and subscribe? if you do I give a HUGE thank you and I hope you enjoy the stories. As always I thank you to those who comment on their opinions on how I can make my stories better and I hoped you enjoyed reading this! ^^ thank you for your time!

                                                                                                            - U.M.