Numb

Falling Star

Byeol was safe back in her apartment, she sat down on her bedroom floor and thought about Ghost Boy. There was something sad about his eyes the way they were fixed into nothing, like he wished something would appear. Byeol snapped out of it and shook her head, why think about him at this time, she had to pack her clothes for the school trip. Plus, Gina and Soobin would probably think she is crazy to even worry about Ghost Boy; he was the weirdo on the bus that no one sat by and for all she knew he could be an assassin.

Byeol felt helpless, she looked through her clothes and thought that there was nothing she owned that Gina and Soobin would like. Everything was bleh! I didn't help that she hardly went clothes shopping and if she did, it was to the local thrift store. Just two nights away from home and already she was stressed thinking about what clothes to bring.

 

Hours passed, she had packed her bag and settled in her bed hoping that her friends wouldn't make a fuss about her clothes. She then started to reach for her school bag and digging for her library book.

 

Panic struck her and she started to cold sweat. Byeol had forgotten about her library book!!

 

"Ahhh... What am I going to do?" Byeol began to pace her bedroom. "How stupid can I be, losing my book on the bus?" She reached for her piggy bank and shook it, it wasn't much Byeol thought but she was worried her book was gone and she would have to pay for it. Then again the school trip is tomorrow and my library book isn't due until next week. She look at the calendar, "Hmmm.... today is the 2nd, grandma will be sending me a check for $20 dollars on the 9th. I think I can use my money for the trip," she drew a book on the 9th as a reminder to herself that she needed to pay for the lost book.

 

For now, she needed to clean the apartment, cook dinner make sure her mother had enough food to eat while she was gone. That meant stocking the cabinets with enough ramen.

 

 

The apartment was clean and dinner was delicious, she put the leftover japchae in the refrigerator for her mother who would be coming home late at night or early in the morning. She took money out of her mother's coin purse on her dresser and was headed to the store.

 

Embedded image permalink

Off to the grocery store meant a bus ride 8 blocks to the nearest store, Byeol didn't mind though she like being among people than being home alone. She waited for about good 5 minutes before the next bus stopped and took out her MP3 player and set it to shuffle before stepping on the bus, her music took her away to a place that was much more than her lonely life. Kim C was telling her that love was everywhere, she just wanted to know if she could find it as easily as he sings to her deserted heart.

 

Byeol sat towards the middle of the bus singing along with Kim C,  'Love...love...love...love; You're not the only one who has it; I'm not the only one who has it; It's the thing everyone can have; In the middle of the night; when I drink water to easy my thirst...'

 

It was a gloomy bus ride.

 

Trying to forget about the rain cloud over her heart, she noticed a figure all in black out of the corner of her eye. was still moving to the lyrics but her eyes were now stuck on... Ghost Boy. She cleared and lowered her eyes and started staring at her hands and her fingers that were getting sweaty. She couldn't believe he was on her bus. She looked up again to make sure he didn't disappear and there he was staring off into something again that she still couldn't see. She then started to wonder about in his charcoal colored eyes, was he as lonely as she? Maybe he was stuck looking for the same thing she was but he lost hope and now he's stuck staring at something he will never find. Or maybe it was something as tragic as his parents dying in a car accident when they were on holiday and he was the lone survivor. Byeol thought at least there is a reason to be lonely, she on the other hand has both parents... a father that hardly acknowledges her and a mother that forgets she's alive.

 

As she is lost in curiosity, she is caught off guard that he is looking directly at her. Her eyes shoot down to her lap and she hopes he's not upset. Byeol's face begins to heat up and fidgets while sitting down, looking out the window, one more stop and she is at grocery store. The bus comes to a halt and a few people get up to leave. Ghost Boy stands up and begins to exit the bus, before he passes by Byeol he stops.

 

 

a1v0kj

 

Byeol squirms, closes her eyes for a second or two and looks up to the Ghost Boy, "Ummm..." before she could say anything else he hands her Jane Eyre and leaves the bus without a word. Byeol dumbfounded examines her book and is startled when the bus starts to move. She turned around as quickly as she could to see if Ghost Boy was still there at the bus stop but he has gone into the night...