Don't Cry

Falling Star

The journey home in the cab was silent, Byeol's mother was so upset at her she couldn't even bare to look at her.

 

As uncomfortable as Byeol was she was tired, her body ached and she tried her best to not show her exhaustion. She tried every now and then to start up a conversation.

 

"Are you hungry mom? I can cook dinner..." Byeol looked towards her mother, no answer.

 

"What if I make some beef broth soup? Or maybe tofu stew with kimchi, stir-fried dried anchovy, stir-fried fish cakes?" Byeol's stomach started to growl. Her mother just looked at her with irritation.

 

"Just because I told the social worker I would be with you until you are healthy doesn't mean I'll be your shadow! I have stuff I have to do," she started to rummage through her bag, "there's stuff I have to take care of so tonight just make some ramen and go straight to bed, I'm just going as far as watching you get off the cab and into the house."

 

Byeol felt alone, she started to stare out the window and watch the traffic and stare into the sky.

 

"Do you understand?" her mother cut off Byeol's thoughts, "don't be make me anything either, I'll be home late. Just go straight to bed."

 

"Yes..." Byeol wanted to be far away from here, "straight to bed..." the condensation from her nose fogged the cab window and she started to make a heart.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoLB9rgdw8Aph9wJOOBIk

 

"Byeol!" her mother slapped her thigh, "Do you have your keys or did you lose it?!?"

Byeol looked at her mother, she tried her best to hold in her tears, "I don't know. I can't remember! It should be in my bag! Did you check?!?"

The cab driver tried to avoid being nosy, but he cleared his throat and hoped that the girl's mother wouldn't cause a scene in his cab.

Byeol's mother embarrassed, grabbed her daughter's hand, "There is no need to raise your voice," she gave Byeol her key to the apartment, "take this, rest and I'll be home late. There's no need to cry, I'm sure you'll find your key."

The cab began to slow down and Byeol was ready to run into the apartment.

Byeol's mother started to speak, "Now I'll just be a minute..." she was talking to the cab driver.

Byeol swung open the door and slammed it walking towards the apartment. Getting up too fast caused her to feel faint but she refused to have her mother yell at her anymore. She steadied her walking by slowly down and started to concentrate on breathing. When she got to the steps of her apartment, the cab drove off.

She didn't turn around to look because she knew her mother wouldn't do the same as well, Byeol made her way into her apartment building feeling just a bit stronger than before.

 

 As she walked into her apartment, it was a mess.

51acefef74c5b614c30001e7._w.540_s.fit_.j

"Relax? Psst..." she rolled her eyes and began to pick things up around the house. Cleaning was in order before she was able to cook anything. She the radio and Big Bang's song 'Baby Don't Cry' was on the radio. Byeol was full of mixed emotions and her cab ride from the hospital played over and over. Slowly a tear began to run down her face as she was wiping down the coffee table.

"She's crying because the house is a mess, I mean look at..." a male voice said in the room.

Byeol stood up too fast that she started to feel dizzy again and weak, she was headed towards the couch after feeling nauseous.

"Shhhh..." there was another voice, it sounded softer.

Byeol looked up and there was the Angel. He was looking at her, examining her. She tried to reach up to touch him but he panicked and leaned back, away from Byeol.

"Looks like she's going to barf or something," there was the third voice.

Byeol looked around the room and there stood the three guys from her hospital room.

"Yah..." Byeol tried to sit up, she put both hands on the side of her head, "I must be hallucinating..." she rubbed both eyes with the heels of her hands and looked up again, they were still there.

All three were looking at her with suspicion.

"Am I dreaming?" Byeol looked at them with confusion.

The blue haired guy looked at his two companions, "I don't think so... I mean you're not snoring or anything." The other two looked at each other and nodded with agreement.

"I snore sometimes?" Byeol always imagined herself as a quiet sleeper.

The blonde smiled, "Sometimes. Sometimes you drool. Sometimes you talk in your sleep. Most of the time you look sad." The red hair nudged him.

Byeol was soaking in those words, she started to nod herself. "Are you ghosts?"

Blue thought about it, "I don't know."

Red looked at Blue, "I don't remember anything passed seeing him" pointing at Blue, ”and him," pointing at Blondie. "They were the only ones that noticed me and talked to me so I started to follow them around."

Blondie looked sad himself, "They're the only ones," he gestured to Blue and Red, "that acknowledged me so I stick with them, and it’s less lonely."

Byeol gave it a thought herself, "I'm lonely," she looked at all three of them, "Maybe that's why I can see you three?"

Blue scratched his head, "Maybe."

"If that were true, why does everyone else see you?" Red was now curious.

"I don't know..." Byeol didn't want to say what was in the back of her mind, “Maybe... you're like my guardian angels?"

Blondie started to laugh and he stopped to ponder and his smile fell, "Am I dead?"

Blue and Red were both staring at Byeol too, waiting for an answer.

Byeol didn't know herself, "I don't know. Maybe you're just lost? Like you're stuck between here and Heaven?" Byeol thought of all the possibilities, maybe they really were dead.

"How can we find out," Red also had a sound of distress in his voice, "I mean we've been wondering around for a while and I don't know my name." He looked at Blue and Blondie, "Do you know your names?"

"I think I use to remember my name," Blue was pacing the floor, "I mean, it's at the tip of my tongue but I can't remember."

"So, what do you call each other?" Byeol pointed at each of them.

"Yah..." Blondie was now pointing at Blue. "Yah!" he was now waving at Red. "That's about all we do..."

"Ahhhhh..." Byeol wasn't sure if she was in her right mind. She figured it was less lonely talking to them. "Do you know anything about yourself or each other?"

Blondie stepped forward, "I feel most comfortable with these two. I'm afraid of shadows that make hissing noises. I like to stand under the Sun and feel its presence. I don't remember my name but there are times I almost do and I get sad." He stood back and looked at Blue and Red.

Red cleared his throat, "Sometimes I feel the oldest, but because I don't know my age we just call each other by yelling indirectly." He looked down at his feet, "You're the first person that has talked to us in a long time," he was hesitant, "Maybe we are here because you are lonely, I don't mind. It's better than people walking pass us. I don't remember my name, maybe one day I'll remember and you can write it down for me so I won't forget." He bowed and stepped back.

Blue stood there, "I don't remember anything about me. For all I know I could have been famous but you're just too poor to know." He stood there looking around and turned back to Byeol, "Why were you crying anyway?"

Byeol didn't remember why she was crying; maybe it was for herself, her friends that never called or her mother that didn't care. "I don't know, sometimes I just get sad and I cry," she was feeling a little better. "Perhaps you are famous and you're right am I too poor to know anyone rich... You're here, you are welcome to stay but I have places that are off limits," she sat up, "first and the most important, you are not allowed in the bathroom." She crossed her arms above her chest making an 'X'.

All Red and Blondie nodded in agreement. Blue looked at her, "why would I want to watch you in the bathroom anyway," he looked at the other two and their eyes were big and wide, "of course I won't go into the bathroom, I'm not a ert!"

"Okay, now that we got that straight..." She looked around, she noticed the room still needed some cleaning. "I'll start cooking dinner."

Byeol got up carefully and walked to the kitchen, she opened the refrigerator and there was hardly anything in there. She sighed, grabbed the left over kimchi and closed the door.

"I guess its ramen tonight," she went to the cupboards and grabbed two packages. She turned around to see Blue, Red and Blondie sitting at the kitchen table. "Ramen!!!" She was showing the guys the package.

Blue sighed and rolled his eyes, "even if I wanted to, I'm not able to eat or drink anything..."

"Why??" Byeol was disappointed she was hoping to have dinner with them.

"I don't think we're able to, but we'll be here for company," Blonde smiled at Byeol, he was happy to talk to her.

Byeol smiled, she was happy she at least had company for dinner.