Replay

Falling Star

After concluding Operation Ghost Boy was a fail, Byeol took the three to the theaters. Byeol’s nervousness about watching the movies alone was overshadowed by her lame jokes that she was still stuck on. She caught herself still laughing to herself about how she told Blue he was the cheapest date ever. Having just to pay for herself she kept thinking about what a complete dork she was. Red and Blondie laughed at Byeol’s childish jokes and even started poking Blue.

The movie was great, they all enjoyed the action pack and the three managed to ignore Byeol’s sighs of fangirling over Jihoon. The movie theater was so quiet and not so full so it was nice when Byeol now and then talked quietly to them. It was a nice change from her lonely bubble she kept herself in.

“Aigoo,” Byeol was rubbing her stomach as she was leaving the movie place. “I think I ate too much popcorn and drank too much soda.”

“I told you to slow down on the soda,” Red was grinning at Byeol.

“Why you ever got a large soda and large popcorn with extra-extra butter is beyond me,” Blue frowned at Byeol in disapproval.

“It’s a good thing you were a cheap date Blue, or you would have to pay for it all,” Blondie chuckled again bringing up a subject Blue was hoping they would all forget.

Byeol started to laugh again and looked at Blue, she pretending to nudge him. This time her elbow felt a tingling sensation. Byeol gasped and looked at Blue, who himself look shocked.

Red and Blondie looked at the two, “What?”

Before she could say anything a group of people started to make their way out of the theater too.

Trying to pull herself together her body shivered at the thought of what just happened and started walking towards the bus stop.

“What?” Blondie was now looking at Blue who still hadn’t said a word.

“What happened?” Red nudged Blue.

Trying to find the right words to say Blue muttered, “I don’t know.”

Waiting at the bus stop was quiet. No one knew what to make of what happened or what to say. Byeol busied herself looking down at her feet trying to remember what she had just felt. Then she noticed her hand that was smudged with black ink, it was Joo Jun’s number, it must have smeared when she was drinking her soda.

Blue sat down, looking at the busy traffic going by, occasionally looking towards Byeol and back to the traffic.

Red and Blondie still confused as to what happened, looked nervously at each other trying to understand what happened.

The bus came and Byeol got on, it was crowded and not much room for her and the three to sit comfortably together. She started to slide herself towards the back and still there wasn’t much elbow room. Finally she saw two seats open. She placed her bag down at the empty seat and sat next to it making sure she didn’t lose it. The three looked around the bus and squeezed themselves as close as they could to Byeol. Byeol looked at them apologetically. The three looked at her and smiled, letting her know not to worry.

The bus was ready to leave and it braked, shifting people forward surprisingly. Byeol looked up to make sure everything was okay. The bus driver opened up the front door. Someone must have waved the bus down to stop she thought. She scanned the bus again, noticing that people started to pull their belonging on their laps and there was no room. Looking back to the front of the bus a person got on and she couldn’t breathe.

Hesitating at first to get on the bus or not, Ghost Boy stood at the front trying to look for a place to sit. He looked at the bus driver who looked impatient waiting for him to pay his fee. He took out his bus pass and the driver scanned it. He looked back towards the bus and there wasn’t a seat available. Slowly making his way back he avoided making eye contact with anyone.

Byeol started to sweat herself and tried to think of something to do.

“Excuse me,” a person behind Byeol tapped her shoulder.

“Huh?” Byeol turned to an elder female with tight curls and a floral dress that was loose on her.

“Move your bag so the gentleman can sit, or else the bus won’t move.” The elderly lady was pointing at Ghost Boy.

“Huh?” Byeol tried to make sense of what she was saying. She searched the bus for Blue, Red and Blondie and they were nowhere to be found.

“Put your bag on your lap,” another person said.

“Oh,” Byeol grabbed her bag and look up, it was Ghost Boy staring at her.

“Sit down,” the old lady said making a waving gesture to Ghost Boy.

Ghost Boy looked at Byeol and the empty seat. He walked to the seat and sat down without a word.

Byeol’s stomach started to feel nauseous, she tried to hold her bag as close as she could to herself. She looked up at Ghost Boy sideways who was looking straightforward.

Out of the corner of Ghost Boy’s eye, he noticed the girl from the morning bus looking scared. He pushed himself against the window trying to avoid contact with her.

Byeol must have noticed the awkward situation between the two and she didn’t want him to feel uncomfortable. She gathered herself together and tried to make conversation.

“I’m sorry about the other day,” Byeol’s voice began to shake with anxiety.

Ghost Boy looked ahead not showing concern.

Clearing , Byeol tried again. “I said I’m sorry about the other day,” her voice was a little louder as she faced Ghost Boy.

Not knowing what to say himself, Ghost Boy peered down to the girl next to him wearing a baggy white v-neck shirt, torn jeans with dirty converse on. He nodded to her, acknowledging her comment.

Byeol smiled but he didn’t say anything other than a nod. She looked down at her bag and looked up at him again, “I’m talking about the handkerchief you gave me. You know… I was going to give it back but I lost it. I’m sorry I can pay you back.”

Ghost Boy had forgot all about that day, he thought for a moment and remembered that day when she was crying on the bus. Lost in thought for a moment she said something else but he wasn’t paying attention. Looking back at her, he realized she must have been waiting for a response. “It’s okay, I forgot all about it,” he tried to smile but for some reason he didn’t know how to, it just came out as a weird smirk instead.

Byeol’s body trembled hearing his voice that seemed so innocent, wrapped with mystery and a little bit of uncertainty. It was something never imagined, she smiled at him again in delight. “No, it seemed expensive and I wanted to return it back to you, I’m sorry… maybe I can pay you back?” Byeol was waiting to hear him speak again.

Wishing to end the conversation Ghost Boy nodded again, he looked away from her and started to think of something to say. He didn’t want her to pay him back, in fact he wanted her to leave him alone. He was use to sitting alone quietly, maybe he should have got back off the bus. He couldn’t helped that he sighed.

Byeol looked away, humiliated with the response he gave an annoyed sigh. Closing her eyes she thought of Blue, don’t say you’re sorry again. “I meant to give it back to you, I swear…” Byeol looked down at her shoes and noticed a whole that was at the tip of her left shoe. She then started to rub her hand that was soiled with black ink, trying to rub it off.

Ghost Boy looked back at her and noticed her voice lowering and she put her head down with either embarrassment. She started to rub her hand that was stained with something black. Trying to think of what to say, there was regret in giving her his handkerchief. “It’s ok, it was old anyway. I didn’t remember giving it to you in the first place, but don’t pay me back. Please.”

The bus stopped at a place near downtown, wanting to forget the conversation Ghost Boy got up and walked out of the bus.

Byeol felt so little, sitting alone by herself. How she wished her three stooges came back to make her feel better. She couldn’t help to feel so dumb. She took out her iPod and pressed play. Block B’s “Movie’s Over” started where it had left off, the irony of the song made her smile and think light of the situation. He finally spoke she thought to herself, Ghost Boy has a voice after all. She reminisced their conversation, along with the song… she was stuck hitting replay until she came to her stop.