I Spy

Falling Star

Days had passed since Byeol found her room emptied of what little possessions she had. Little was spoken between her mother and her. Byeol remembered to be careful talking to the three stooges even when she was in her own home. Her mother stopped swinging Byeol’s bedroom door open while trying to catch her in the act with sneaking a boy in the house. Byeol would just look at her mom and turn back to what she was doing before. Red, Blondie and Blue were very observant and always gave Byeol a heads up when her mother returned home. It was a quiet life at home.

As far as school life it wasn’t much different. Byeol was an outcast from Soobin and Gina, even on the bus ride to school they didn’t talk to her at all. They went as far as placing their bags next to them so there wasn’t enough room for Byeol to sit by them. She sat towards the back and stared occasionally at Ghost Boy; she never got the chance to return his handkerchief because her mother had either thrown it away or gave it to her boyfriend. Regardless, he didn’t seemed bothered. The boys would watch him with curiosity, wanting to know more about him but they honestly never strayed too far from Byeol.

Another weekend approached and she was bored at home. What was left from her grandmother’s allowance, she wanted to go watch a movie but she didn’t want to go alone.

 “Well, be there with you,” Blue exclaimed to Byeol. He wanted to watch Jihoon’s new movie but she was pouting that she had no one to go with.

“I know, but I want to talk with someone while I’m there and laugh with them,” she looked at all of them. “Where I don’t look like I’m insane.”

“Aish,” Red was bored himself and was tired of staying in Byeol’s room. “It’s cheaper going with us, you don’t even have to pay for tickets.” Red looked at Byeol with pleading eyes.

“No,” Byeol was shifting in bed to get comfortable after her leg feel tingly. “Everyone is going to stare at me.” Byeol started playing with her socks she had on. “It’s bad enough no one talks to me at school.”

“What if we just people watch from the bus and then decide where to go,” Blondie said while he was lying in the middle of the room.

“Like Ghost Boy?” Byeol thought about it, “People think he’s weird.”

“Yes!” Blue stood up with a smile, “we should investigate him. He is weird, but it will give us something to do!”

Red jumped up as well, “yeah! Maybe we’ll figure out what his problem is.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” Blondie shrugged at Byeol.

Byeol couldn’t believe what they were saying. “Are you guys serious? I don’t even know which bus he’ll be on.”

“Right, what do we have to lose?” Blue was smiling at Byeol.

Rolling her eyes, Byeol started to put her converse shoes on.

“Yes!” Blue felt excited.

 

Waiting for the bus Byeol’s nerves started to stir and she was becoming more and more antsy. She began to tap her right foot. The she kept shifting her weight to one foot and to the other. Now, she was busying herself with fixing her hair.

“Uh oh,” Red was looking at Byeol. “Calm down, it’s going to be fine, he might not even be on this bus.”

Byeol took another nervous deep breath. The bus stopped and waiting for her to aboard. Stepping on the bus she walked towards the back as soon as she could. Taking a seat and staring out the window.

“Look!” Blue was slowly making his way towards Byeol’s seat. “He’s here!”

Red seemed just as excited and sat behind Ghost Boy with Blue. Blondie sat next to Byeol.

“They’re just bored,” Blondie was trying to calm Byeol down. “I’m sure he’s just another boring guy that likes to people watch from the bus.”

Byeol smiled at Blondie. She looked back at Red and Blue who were examining Ghost Boy with awe. Byeol must have been looking at Ghost Boy for so long that he turned to her. Byeol’s eyes were so big she didn’t know what to do.

Blue looked at Byeol, she was like a deer caught in head lights. Blue stuck his face close to Ghost Boy and started making duck lips and kissing sounds.

Flabbergasted with Blue, Byeol couldn’t help but laugh. Ghost Boy felt insulted and looked straight ahead again. Byeol couldn’t find the nerve to look back at Ghost Boy and felt so bad at laughing. As for Red and Blue they were giggling themselves. Blondie tried not to laugh but lost face a time or two.

 

The bus stopped here and there and as it got closer to the university the streets started to become busier. She people watched out the window as Blondie kept her company.

“You see that girl?” Blondie was analyzing again, “You see how she’s looking around and not paying any attention with that guy she’s walking with?”

Byeol looked at the female that was wearing a fitted tank top with the words NYC on it and black short shorts with heels that were so tall she, herself couldn’t ever imagine wearing. The female out the window was walking with a guy wearing red rimmed glasses, a green and white striped polo shirt that was one size too small with white pants and brown loafers.

“He’s the money maker and she’s a gold digger.” Blondie was looking at Byeol in her eyes, and turned back to the couple. “He’s telling her about his day and she’s thinking about her next purchase for clothes. She’s too busy rolling her eyes and he’s too busy thinking how lucky he is to get a woman like her.” Blondie started to shake his head in disapproval.

Byeol look at the two in awe, she would have never guessed.

“Hey!” it was Blue, “C’mon he’s leaving!”

Byeol looked up and noticed Red and Blue following behind Ghost Boy who was leaving the bus. Byeol quickly scrambled to obtain her belongings. Byeol got up and began to make her way out of the bus, it was a close call because the bus driver was starting to close the door.

“Sorry…” Byeol looked apologetically to the bus driver who made an annoyed long sigh.

“Take is easy man,” Blondie was looking at the bus driver.

Byeol smirked wishing that the bus driver heard him.

“C’mon!” Blue was jumping up and down pointing at the direction Ghost Boy was going.

Byeol and Blondie began to speed walk towards them. Ghost Boy had no clue he had a people following. His head was slightly down looking at the path straight ahead of him.

“Maybe he’s a college student?” Byeol said aloud to Blondie.

“You think?” Blondie was walking next to Byeol. “I thought he was an assassin,” Blondie ended with a disappointing remark.

Red and Blue followed behind Ghost Boy, now and they would turn around and make sure Byeol and Blondie weren’t lost. It must have been 10 minutes following Ghost Boy and so far there wasn’t much to watch but him just in his own bubble walking through campus. Red and Blue started to slow down, so were their excitement of following Ghost Boy. It didn’t seem after all that he was a college student, he wasn’t going to any buildings and just walking straight through campus.

“Well, so much for our adventure,” Blondie was sounding more and more restless.

Byeol gave an encouraging smile, “there’s always Jihoon’s new movie?”

Blondie was smiling, “Yeah!”

“Hey!” Blue started to yell, “Look!” Blue was pointing at Ghost Boy again and noticed that he was walking in to the hospital.

Byeol and Blondie smiled at each other and began to pick up pace again.

 

“Hey!” this time it wasn’t Blue or Red. “Hey! Porridge girl!”

Byeol paid no attention to the lanky guy walking straight towards her.

Blue was ready to yell back at Byeol and noticed the guy from the café from the other morning. As Red was ready to enter the hospital Blue grabbed his wrist and tugged him making a U-turn.

“Hey!” the guy said trying to catch up to Byeol.

This time Blondie noticed who Blue was looking at. “Hey…” Blondie stopped in his tracks and watching the waiter from the other day trying to get Byeol’s attention.

Byeol noticed that everyone’s attention was somewhere behind her and she stopped as well.

“Hey, Porridge girl!” came from behind Byeol.

Byeol turned around and saw a guy jogging in her direction. He was wearing a plaid blue shirt that was buttoned to the top with black fitted jeans that made his legs so much longer with converse on. Byeol was caught off guard stuck in her tracks trying to remember who this guy now smiling wide in front of her.

“Hey!” he said one more time before wiping his forehead. “I tried to get your attention earlier and you were walking so fast, I didn’t mean to yell at you.” Still smiling at Byeol he now seemed a bit embarrassed.

“Oh,” Byeol looked at Blondie and the two others that were now standing next to her.

“Joo Jun,” Blue said with a concerned tone.

“Byeol, right?” Joo Jun was looking at Byeol.

Shy as she was she had no idea what to say. “Eh, yeah.” Byeol looked at her three Stooges. “Joo Jun?”

The three looked back at Joo Jun.

“Yeah! You remembered!” Joo Jun was now straightening out his hair.

Byeol smiled, “I thought you were calling someone else.”

“Oh, yeah.” Joo Jun stuffed his hands in his pockets, “I wasn’t sure if it was you and I…”

Blondie was now looking at Byeol, “Yah… he was calling you Porridge Girl.”

“Porridge girl?” Byeol looked at Blondie.

Joo Jun leaned in front of Byeol and went straight through Blondie.

“Yah!!!” Blondie backed up as quickly as he could.

Byeol’s eyes got so big and she gasped so loud covering with both hands.

“What?!” Joo Jun was looking around him, “Is it a bug?” He began to search his clothes looking for something that was on him.

Blue looked at the two and was becoming more and more impatient, “We lost him! Because of this fool we lost him!”

“No, I thought it was a fly.” Byeol tried to give her attention to Joo Jun but it was hard to ignore her three friends.

“Oh, so what are you doing here today?” Joo Jun tried to relax.

“Um…” Byeol didn’t know what to say.

“Tell him you are visiting someone here,” Red looked at Joo Jun.

“I’m visiting someone here,” Byeol didn’t think about it.

“Oh really? I hope they are not sick or anything. Are you okay?” Joo Jun was trying his hardest to keep a conversation going.

“No, just visiting in the maternity ward,” Blue was now feeding Byeol lines.

“Just someone at the maternity ward,” Byeol was looking past Joo Jun now.

“Ah,” Joo Jun knew he was losing her. “How long are you going to be here? I am going to class now, if you’re going to be here a while maybe I can take you out for coffee?”

“You’re only here to see if they’re fine and you have errands,” Blue was tired of Joo Jun already.

“Just here to see if she’s fine and I have errands to run,” Byeol smiled at him trying to sound genuine.

“Oh. Maybe next time?” Joo Jun was now looking at his watch.

“Maybe,” Blondie answered.

“Yeah, maybe.” Byeol looked up at Joo Jun’s forehead and saw beads of sweat ready to run down from his hairline.

Joo Jun cleared his throat and ran his hand over his forehead again. He checked his watch one more time and looked back at Byeol, “You know I think I should go or I’ll be late to class. Here’s my number…” Joo Jun grabbed Byeol hand and started to right his number down.

Byeol took her hand back and smiled one more time and waved before turning back towards the hospital. Blue, Red and Blondie stood in disbelief on just what happened and slowly began to follow Byeol towards the hospital.

“Bye,” Joo Jun waved at Byeol who was already walking away from him. He looked around hoping no one noticed his pathetic one last try.

The four made it into the hospital and there was foot traffic on the bottom floor. People looking sick, others looking impatient and the front desk with 4 females dressed all in white greeting the incoming people.

“Now what!” Blue was pacing around Byeol. “We lost him!”

Byeol looked around the busy lobby and walked towards the waiting area. There wasn’t much room to sit so she turned around facing the three. “Movie?”

With disappointed looks, they all nodded in silence without saying anything else.

Byeol shrugged her shoulders and made her way to exit the building. Byeol looked up and there in front of her was Ghost Boy leaving the hospital. Byeol gasped again and walked slightly faster to the exit.

Blue noticed and sighed a relief and nudged the two and pointed at Ghost Boy walking pass the exit.

“Wonder who he was visiting,” Blondie said to no one really. Walking with the group he noticed others that were staring at them. He didn’t want to ask if Byeol noticed and tried to preoccupy his time with random comments. “He looks sad.”

Byeol couldn’t help to notice either, her pace began to slow down and she felt horrible about being nosey.

“C’mon!” Blue started to whine. “We might lose him again.”

Red looked at Byeol and noticed her demeanor had changed, her detective look was no longer there. It was replaced with a concern look as well as a hint of sadness.

“Maybe we should just watch a movie,” Red looked at Blue.

Blue looked at all three, ready to fight with words, he knew it was no use. He closed his eyes and let out a long sigh, “When does the movie start?”